ElliottForceLegacyRTC panic on first boot

kmand

24 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install SL on a Dell D610, a SSE2 Pentium M laptop.

Using either the iportable or Myhack distributions with the chocolate kernel I get a panic on first boot in

org.tgwbd.driver.ElltioForceLegacyRTC

A kext releasing a OSArray has corrupted the registry.

Any thoughts?

delete de kext ElltioForceLegacyRTC.kext

it does not work well in notebook

try with single user

-s

mount -uw /

rm -rf /system/library/extensions/ElltioForceLegacyRTC.kext

exit

if you can not get in single user, use the installation dvd(terminal)

• 6 months later...

I have kinda the same problem but I don't think is the kext here.

I am not sure what to do. I disable everything that is possible in BIOS and still to no avail. It boots but when I am trying to install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] I get this error.

I have a Dell Inspiron E1705, Nvidia card and 2 GB ram

post-706139-1294084961_thumb.jpg

I booted with the SL disk and made a serch for the Ellioot kext and did not find it on my harddrive.

Keep looking then, you have to find out where it's loading from, it's clearly loading from somewhere. I can't help you with that from here.

System folders are not searched when using Spotlight, you'll have to search manually for it.

I guess installing [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] might have something to do with it, but I don't know anything about [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

What do you mean Patch RTC how do I do that.

I already told you what to do:

Screen_shot_2011_01_03_at_6.30.19_PM.png

Here's a quick rundown: Use one of the many available ways to extract your DSDT ACPI table in either Windows or OS X, open it in a DSDT editor, find the RTC device code and change where it says 0x04 to 0x02. Compile the DSDT and place it in /Extra.

Screen_shot_2011_01_03_at_6.36.54_PM.png

That said, you don't even know yet if your RTC device code needs patching, that value could be 0x02 already. Mine doesn't need patching for example. So try to find out where that kext is loading from and remove it first.

I read somewhere that I can delete the file Elliott*.kext, because I have a laptop and it's not needed for laptops,so I did (I found it after all) and now my kernel panics at some voodoo sound driver. Can I delete that too?

post-706139-1294087728_thumb.jpg

Yes, it's okay to delete VoodooHDA too. You can install it later if you need it.

Latest version here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

On some systems you must delete AppleHDA.kext before installing VoodooHDA, otherwise one of them will kernel panic, I don't remember which one, and I don't remember what that looks like anymore, I haven't used VoodooHDA in a very long time. So I don't know if that's what's happening in your screenshot.

You might be able to use AppleHDA instead of VoodooHDA though. You need to find out what works best for you and what solutions are available for your hardware.

Macs don't have PS2 ports, therefore PS2 keyboards and mice never work out of the box on a Hackintosh. For the same reason, some laptop trackpads/mice/keyboards don't work either - this happens when they are connected via PS2 bus internally.
Install VoodooPS2Controller.kext (or whatever else is out there that makes PS2 ports/trackpads/mice/keyboards work) if you want to keep using PS2 devices: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=235.0
I can't help you with the specifics, I've never Hackintoshed anything that used PS2 ports or PS2 devices. Search!

Use external USB keyboard+mouse while you fix things. Those should be plug and play.

About wireless and sound:
You need to find out more details about your hardware.

Rule #1 of Hackintosh Club is "Know your hardware" -  otherwise you will not be able to perform useful forum searches or google for the right solutions.

It's strange that before deleting the Voodoo think it was working. So I always tough that the Voodoo kext was a video card think but it appears that it was a PS2 extension. Now I will have to find something else that will do.

Before that I will try to install the lates version of Voodoo, see if that will panic the kernel or not. Will post here once I have the result.

Well VoodooPS2Controller-0.98 does not install correctly. So I have to look for something else.

VoodooHDA is for sound (HDA stands for HD Audio!), VoodooPS2Controller.kext is, you've guessed it, for PS2 controllers. There are other "Voodoo" kexts as well. There is no Voodoo kext for graphics.

It's important that you pay attention to what you delete, and if you don't know what you're looking at, try typing its name into google and see what you can find before you drag it onto the trashcan.

What do you mean it does not install correctly? Are you getting that message in a popup window?

You can't just copy a kernel extension to /System/Library/Extensions and expect it to work. You must set the correct ownership and permissions using Terminal.app after copying it in there, otherwise OS X will not load or use the kernel extension.

Copy the kernel extension to the extensions folder.

If you wait long enough a dialog box will appear telling you that the kernel extension cannot be loaded. Just click it away, you're the man now dogg.

Run Terminal.app and type:

sudo -s (and then your password, don't worry it's supposed to be invisible)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extensions

touch /System/Library/Extensions/

exit

Reboot.

Well I got all the things you say.

Fist, I don't delete anything, just rename it to *.old ;) - linux trick (I use ubuntu on my laptop)

Now about the installation, yes I got that pop up window and it said it is installed improperly, but the installer said everything was fine. I restarted it and it did not work.

Then I reinstalled it, over the existing one so basically is an upgrade, and it installed without the pop up box. But it's still not working after the restart.

Now I want to move the kext in the folder you mentioned but when I download I only have the *pkg file. How do I extract it or do i look for the kext on my hdd and just move it in it the folder.

Take a look at the search that I get. (this is after install - but sill not working)

post-706139-1294103848_thumb.png

Now I want to move the kext in the folder you mentioned

You are weird. According to your search results it is already present in the folder that I mentioned:

Screen_shot_2011_01_03_at_5.15.25_PM.png

Run the Terminal commands that I posted, reboot and check the VoodooPS2 prefpane in System Configuration if everything is set up right.

I can't really help you with this, as I said I've never used or installed OS X on a PC with PS2 input devices.

It's working.

I downloaded form here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...14578&st=20 the ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip and unzip it and move it in to the /System/Library/Extensions and run the terminal you said. I rebooted and now voila, it's all working.

Thanks Gringo Vermelho for your assistance!

Thanks a lot for your help. I am brand new to this Hackintosh think and I love it. It's always usefull when u find somebody that is there to answer the questions that arise. (thank God to forums)

PS: should l I remove the Voodoo thinks I installed previously?

You are weird. According to your search results it is already present in the folder that I mentioned:

post-378074-1294105693_thumb.png

Run the Terminal commands that I posted, reboot and check the VoodooPS2 prefpane in System Configuration if everything is set up right.

I can't really help you with this, as I said I've never used or installed OS X on a PC with PS2 input devices.

I know it was in there, I checked all the permissions and everything and it did not work (that is the Voodoo stuff).

It's funny, the ApplePS2 kext you've installed is very old and supposed to be obsoleted by VoodooPS2Controller.kext. Anyway I'm glad it works for you.

Unless the installer from VoodooProjects installs a non-Snow leopard compatible version, then yes, that's mysterious, it should work.

Now you know why they call it "Voodoo".

Yes, remove the Voodoo* kernel extensions, pref pane and other related files if they aren't working for you.

Well just to be clear, before getting it to work, that is while I had Voodoo installed, I installed the ApplePS2Controller.kext and rebooted, after running the terminal, that's when everything started to work, I am not sure if the Voodoo's are working or the ApplePS2controller. I would guess the second one.

Now to the next step. Intel/PRO Wirless 3945abg driver.

And BTW how does it go with the updates. Will they run as on anormal Mac or every time I will have to run the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

You can use System Profiler to see which kernel extensions are loaded on your system.

The closer your installation is to retail OS X, the more reliable the updates. Obviously, if an update overwrites a file that has been patched to work with your hardware, that particular component will stop working.

Again, know your hardware, know which patches and drivers make it work for you and take appropriate precautions when updating. I can't really be more specific, it's your PC.

Use the forum search to find out which solutions are available for your network hardware. I am not familiar with it.

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

ElliottForceLegacyRTC is AppleRTC.kext from 10.5 recompiled to work in 64-bit kernel and drivers mode and with the IOProbescore upped.

It overrides AppleRTC.kext for the purpose of preventing an insta-reboot followed by a CMOS reset, upon wake from S3 sleep.

It has long since been obsoleted by a Pearl script that patches AppleRTC.kext in /System/Library/Extensions.

"Elliott" was a humble shout out to Dave F. Elliott, aka The Originator, Holy Discoverer and Wanderer of The Hidden Path (etc etc, add your own adjectives of praise)

• 6 years later...

Probably I'm too late but here's the fix.

The installation media you use may or may not have "ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext".

If you have the kext, delete it (/S/L/E).

If you don't have the kext but if you can still see the kext load in verbose, it's probably loading from the kextcache.

What you have to do is:

1. Delete Extensions.mkext from /S/L/ of your dmg or your usb disk - this is the cached version of the kexts

2. Copy the whole Extensions folder to /S/L/ of your usb disk

You can copy this Extensions folder from either a working Mac/Hackintosh's /S/L/ or from the BaseSystem.dmg.

Make sure that the OS X versions are same while you copy.

Also try UseKernelCache=No, might work too.

Edited by theflyingrahul