Just ordered Nikon D50

Arez

22 posts in this topic

Well, I've done my homework and I ordered the D50 with a 1 gig card and 2 lenses. Hopefully it will be here by thursday. I'm really excited, this is my first leap into the dSLR world, I've had a passion for photography forever, but always used my dad's old film SLR. Then I got a P&S Kodak, that's worked well for a year. Now it's time to really step back into photography. I am mainly a hobbiest but I do shoot for Journalism and Theatre, as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing it's power. Anyone else have or used a D50?

The D50 is a great cam (now at 4000+ shots with it). Did you buy the kit lenses 18-55 and 55-200mm? The 55-200 is said to be good, but you may want to replace the 18-55 at some stage.

Keep in mind that in many situations with plenty of light you better set the exposure compensation to -0.5 or -1. If you decide to shoot in RAW/NEF format try Nikon Capture (NX), there is no better converter for Nikon NEFs.

Well, I've done my homework and I ordered the D50 with a 1 gig card and 2 lenses. Hopefully it will be here by thursday. I'm really excited, this is my first leap into the dSLR world, I've had a passion for photography forever, but always used my dad's old film SLR. Then I got a P&S Kodak, that's worked well for a year. Now it's time to really step back into photography. I am mainly a hobbiest but I do shoot for Journalism and Theatre, as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing it's power. Anyone else have or used a D50?

post-29692-1153292689_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of getting the Nikon as well, but as i've just inherited a Pentax SLR (35mm) with a bunch of lenses, I now plan to go for the Pentax *ist DL2 instead. Any thoughts?

I got the kit with both lenses.

Munky: If your going for the pentax , their DL2 is very nice I heard, but around the end of the month they are releasing the K100 wich is like 50 bucks more (USD), but it has Image stabilization built into the body. Just a thought if that seems like something worth a bit more to you.

arez- thanks for the info. i might hold off :)

EDIT: I can buy the *ist DL2 with 18-55mm lens in the UK for £349. Pentax UK inform me that the K100 will retail for more than £549.

Anti-shake isnt really worth an extra £200+ for me. If they'd bumped it to 10MP or somehting I might have done it, but I think i'll just go for the *ist. Thanks for the info anyway :censored2:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, didn't get the D50, yet if at all. Now deciding between the Rebel XT, D50, and waiting for Pentax K100. Has anyone used the rebel XT? Is the stock 18-55 lense good enough until I can buy more glass?

It was a problem on my end, I used my visa, but I had forgot about the daily limit on the card($400). So I ended up having them cancel the order until my bank could raise the limit. Since I was given a bit more time waiting I thought I'd do a bit more research. I ordered from Calumet Photo, they were very cooperative about this, so there reputation for good service has been upheld.

MMK thanks for the info, but the $900 price tag for the body alone is slightly more then I am ready to spend.

• 2 weeks later...

So after everything, I bought a Pentax DL, really good price & rebate did it for me. Now I'm just going to be in the market for some killer glass, it arives tomorrow amd I can't wait.

If anyones interested I can link it, I think the deal is still going.

Munky, I would be interested actually, if it's not too much trouble. I'm going to write a review of it soon, so far it's been very nice, even the included 18-55mm lens. I did however just order a 70-300mm lens about ten minutes ago, because I know I'll be doing a lot of far a way shots. But anyways I have a question, is there a formal place to put the review or should I just add it like a normal post/topic?

• 3 weeks later...

Nikon Capture (NX) indeed reads and uses your camera settings. If you have for example switched-on sharpening by the cam Capture will sharpen NEF´s accordingly. You can of course always change this in Capture back to a totally unmodified NEF image or you can apply other settings. Regardless of this feature, which I happen to like actually, colors and detail rendition for NEF´s from the D50 is far ahead of the photoshop plug-in Adobe Camera RAW (ACR). For most D50 NEF´s ACR gets in addition the exposure totally wrong, which is easily correctable, but still... I haven´t done a systematic comparison of Nikon Capture to other NEF/RAW converters but for example with Bibble or Phase One/Capture One I found no gross shortcomings as those seen with ACR.

BTW - I have heard that NX for converting NEF's only looks best because it does automatic sharpening or somehting? True?

I have a D50 for a few months now, and it's going to take me a long time to learn all it's features. It's a fantastic camera, photos are perfect. Have fun with yours, I'm sure you're going to love it.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...