10.6.4 legacy kernel for INTEL/AMD ready to download by qoopz/nawcom/AnV/BlackKnight/mucha - a few new features

nawcom

181 posts in this topic

These days i patch my self the kernel, just the minimal for the Pentium D or don't patch at all (at least physically);

atm i'm booting vanilla kernel (on legacy mode) thanks to Meklorts work, just bypassing cpuid panic.

It's all the Pentium D needs booting legacy mode; to go 64 bit, physical patch is still needed.

skn, with what kernel? if the kernel is only i386 you'll get that.

p.s.: be careful with the Patches section on my sig, it's bit outdated...

How to bypass cpuid panic without patching the kernel? :P

I'm using AnV's latest kernel (V4). As for the patches, I tried the ones found on your website as well as the updated ones from kexts.com. No change, same result. If I try to boot with -force64 my PC resets immediately. Any idea?

Thank you again for your support Azimutz!

AnV's latest kernel (posted here) is i386/x86_64 but it won't boot using x86_64, instant reboot after chameleon so no clue about that, he was trying to figure that out but haven't heard anything else.

Anyway, it's working fine with 32 and 64 bit apps so no complain at all, I'm very thankfull to this team for the kernel and the chameleon group for the excellent bootloader.

Nice to hear that! So it appears to be a kernel issue in x86_64 mode for some CPUs. I'll wait for a solution from AnV.

Thank you for let me know!

updated 4 kernel is arch x86-64 try boot with it arch=x86-64

it doesnt work yet for amd but it works on intel core i3 ithink it will work also on unsupported intel p4 etc :)

I tried that. It didn't work for me either... :angel:

Thanks anyway!

Drule,

FakeSMC.kext is just Netkas fakesmc.kext with the plugins support added; still didn't had time to fully explore the possibilities but so far the experience is negative. For smc device emulation using one or the other it's the same.

Attached are all the tables i can extract, courtesy of Everest; but i have access to all of them from OS X, via ioreg.

The patched.dsl has all the patches i ever used; not much to see. Let's just say that the only fix i really need is the dsmos reset :angel: the other's depend on what i'm testing, but atm i have hpet enabled (needs irq's removed from rtc, etc... or breaks ethernet), lpc device and hdef generic injection.

Usb been kind of an annoyance for me, not really a problem...

Can you post the virgin version of your dsdt? :P

aziacpi.zip

skn,

let me try the kernel... i'll be back in a bit...

skn,

let me try the kernel... i'll be back in a bit...

OK. Thank you! :P

As for bypassing the CPUID panic, I got two kexts from Meklort's website: CPUIDOverride.kext and CPUIDSymbols.kext. Have you modified them to support Pentium D?

I'm using AnV's latest kernel (V4). As for the patches, I tried the ones found on your website as well as the updated ones from kexts.com. No change, same result. If I try to boot with -force64 my PC resets immediately. Any idea?

Thank you again for your support Azimutz!

skn, i have the same problem as you guys.. it's bug in the kernel. I can boot with arch=i386 -force64 and have 64 bit mode.

Will check this.. i think i saw something missing in the diff.

How to bypass cpuid panic without patching the kernel? :(

Bootloader kernel patcher; the kernel is patched in memory, after being loaded. It's working fine on my branch and on Mek's too, though his branch is quite unstable atm.

As for bypassing the CPUID panic, I got two kexts from Meklort's website: CPUIDOverride.kext and CPUIDSymbols.kext. Have you modified them to support Pentium D?

Nope, i wish :P i don't have that kind of knowledge. Those kexts are for the AICPM.kext cpuid panic and only work for Atom.

Meklort is working on a kext patcher for the booter... we'll see how that comes out, if it's practical or not; if not, i'll be the first to nag him to do it :)

If there's any chance of having AICPM.kext managing power on the Pentium D, i want to try it!

Be back after breakfast whit news on the kernel...

Here is my original DSDT, and all files that Everest extracted.

Original_Everest_files_and_DSDT.zip

Thanks :( maybe this will inspire me to spent some more time tweaking dsdt.

skn,

no luck with the kernel... no stuff missing as it seemed. The bug is else were.

All i can do is post the one i use for you guys to try... if the cpu has sse3, em64t and it's Intel, it will work! Pentium 4/D i can confirm.

Or you can try the kernel patcher. Either way, some stuff needs to be explained.

Be back by the end of the day to check in...

New AMD instruction patcher (V4).

Fixed issue of no output file generation on an universal binary if i386 part needed patching but x86_64 part didn't.

Download:

http://rapidshare.com/files/421925937/amd_..._patcher_V4.zip

skn,

no luck with the kernel... no stuff missing as it seemed. The bug is else were.

All i can do is post the one i use for you guys to try... if the cpu has sse3, em64t and it's Intel, it will work! Pentium 4/D i can confirm.

Or you can try the kernel patcher. Either way, some stuff needs to be explained.

Thank you for your feedback! :D

I would like to give your kernel a try! Please could you share it? :)

Bootloader kernel patcher; the kernel is patched in memory, after being loaded. It's working fine on my branch and on Mek's too, though his branch is quite unstable atm.

Nope, i wish :P i don't have that kind of knowledge. Those kexts are for the AICPM.kext cpuid panic and only work for Atom.

Meklort is working on a kext patcher for the booter... we'll see how that comes out, if it's practical or not; if not, i'll be the first to nag him to do it :P

If there's any chance of having AICPM.kext managing power on the Pentium D, i want to try it!

Thanks for clarifying about Meklort's kexts. Could I test your bootloader kernel patcher too please?

Hi skn, back for the night :)

kernel attached. You need to take care of some stuff first, since this kernel is completely stripped of "extra" stuff, like kext blacklist.

So, you'll need to disable AICPM.kext (Disabler.kext or NullCPUPowerManagement.kext will do) and you also need to disable the "profile" family kexts or when booting with 64 support, the boot will take forever! These kexts are on S/L/E inside AppleProfileFamily.kext-->plugins. You can either backup and delete the kext, rename it over Terminal like

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleProfileFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleProfileFamily.kext.original

or rename the the 4 kexts on the plugins folder, Yonah, Merom, Nehalem and Penryn.

System caches will be updated as soon as you mess with this or at reboot. But, if you want to be sure they are updated do after you're done.

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Obviously there's no -force64 flag.

Think that's it... i'll be around so, any problem just post.

We'll see about the booter later...

Note: Intel cpu with at least sse3 is needed to run this kernel; it has no emulator or AMD related code.

Also no tsc sync patch. It's just cpuid and commpage stuff (bcopy_sse3_64.s).

64 bit support comes with some bugs, as i mentioned previously.

64cpuID_kernel.zip

64cpuID.diff.zip

Edited by Azimutz

Hi skn, back for the night :)

kernel attached. You need to take care of some stuff first, since this kernel is completely stripped of "extra" stuff, like kext blacklist.

Great! I'll try it right now! What is the flag kernel to boot into 64-bit mode? arch=x86_64?

Thank you so much!

skn,

if em64t is detected on the cpu, the bootloader will send you to 64 bit hell :) so, you don't need to pass any argument.

arch=i386 ...to force 32 bit with 64 bit mode enabled.

arch=i386 -legacy ...to force Legacy mode on Snow.

skn,

if em64t is detected on the cpu, the bootloader will send you to 64 bit hell :) so, you don't need to pass any argument.

arch=i386 ...to force 32 bit with 64 bit mode enabled.

arch=i386 -legacy ...to force Legacy mode on Snow.

Hi Azimutz,

I tried it with no flags but after the boot it hangs at a blue screen (no login window and pointer are displayed). Any suggestion?

Thank you!

That's a graphics problem, i guess... try 32 bit or legacy.

Same problem with the one you were using previously?

Hi,

OK, I'll try the legacy mode too.

No, I didn't have such problem previously with the anv's and nawcom's kernels. That's weird... :)

I'll wait for your feedback.

Did you disabled the "profile" kexts? if not, the first stuff you'll see is the blue screen, followed by a long long wait... can go up to 10 min.

Going for a snack... be back in an hour or so.

I'll wait for your feedback.

Did you disabled the "profile" kexts? if not, the first stuff you'll see is the blue screen, followed by a long long wait... can go up to 10 min.

Going for a snack... be back in an hour or so.

Hi Azimutz!

Both legacy and 32/64-bit mode worked fine! :)

64-bit mode is not supported by NVidia 7xxx series cards according to this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219022 - that's why I get a blue screen in full 64-bit mode...

Thank you again for your amazing support! :)

I would like to try the kernel bootloader patcher too. Where can I download it?

skn,

my pleasure to help :D

yeah, it looks like 7xxx series have no 64 bit support :) Well, at least you now have a better notion of where you can go.

The booter and kernel patcher... it will allow you to boot vanilla kernel but only in Legacy mode; to go 64 bit, at least the bcopy_sse3_64.s stuff needs to be added to the kernel, since the patcher doesn't do that atm. Were to download it... well, i said i would not provide pre-compiled binaries of my branch, but i can open an exception or two :D

Do you know how to checkout sources and compile them? if not, send me a pm... this talk is going to get completely out of topic.

The booter and kernel patcher... it will allow you to boot vanilla kernel but only in Legacy mode; to go 64 bit, at least the bcopy_sse3_64.s stuff needs to be added to the kernel, since the patcher doesn't do that atm. Were to download it... well, i said i would not provide pre-compiled binaries of my branch, but i can open an exception or two :D

Do you know how to checkout sources and compile them? if not, send me a pm... this talk is going to get completely out of topic.

Yes, I know how to compile from source code. :)

In order keep this talk on topic, I think it's better to proceed through PM if you agree...

Thank you again!

Hi,

great work, everything works like charm with this kernel, even magic trackpad. Ok, to enter preferences you MUST boot without -force64, as the video crashes preferences otherwise.

But, however, one thing.

As mentioned in previous other posts, this kernel crashes when you try to run vmware or any similar virtualization software.

In other threads I read to go back to the 10.3 kernel, this doesn't help either.

Does anyone has an idea how to run vmware with this or any other kernel on 10.6.4?

BTW on 10.6.3 it runs fine...

Thanks a lot and again, great work!

New version (Rel5)

I fixed CoreSymbolication support for AMD + fixed backtracing.

Patch (V5):

http://rapidshare.com/files/423081298/lega...dated5.diff.zip

Binaries (V5):

http://rapidshare.com/files/423083429/lega...10.4.0_rel5.zip

Amazing Azimutz, you only added bcopy_sse3_64.s and modified within cpuid.c in the CPU family check the default to CPUFAMILY_INTEL_MEROM.

Any idea why more patched kernel's won't boot into the 64bit kernel (why they just restart) ?

Thanks for the update. Any news regarding the issue (instant reset) in full 64-bit mode?

No, I unfortunetely don't have enough computers around to debug it.

I've decided to drop 64bit kernel untill I get some news on why it does this (then I'll fix it)

Thanks for the update. Any news regarding the issue (instant reset) in full 64-bit mode?

No, I unfortunetely don't have enough computers around to debug it.

I've decided to drop 64bit kernel untill I get some news on why it does this (then I'll fix it)