10.6.4 legacy kernel for INTEL/AMD ready to download by qoopz/nawcom/AnV/BlackKnight/mucha - a few new features

nawcom

181 posts in this topic

Update:

I was able to boot your kernel with the -x32 flag. Shouldn't it detect 32 or 64-bit mode automatically? My P4 supports 64-bit instructions...

What model P4? Should you even be using a legacy kernel? I'm using it because I have a Pentium D, which I believe also supports 64-bit instructions, just not the full set required, so I'm stuck with running in 32-bit (arch=i386).

You should boot with arch=i386 -force64 and you'll be able to run 32 and 64bit apps.

It boots with "arch=i386 -force64" flags but still no 64-bit support according to System Profile (64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No) :D

What model P4? Should you even be using a legacy kernel? I'm using it because I have a Pentium D, which I believe also supports 64-bit instructions, just not the full set required, so I'm stuck with running in 32-bit (arch=i386).

P4 630 with EM64T: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27478

P4 is not supported by Apple's (vanilla) kernel (it's not recognized) - that's why I must use a legacy kernel...

It boots with "arch=i386 -force64" flags but still no 64-bit support according to System Profile (64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No) :D

P4 630 with EM64T: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27478

P4 is not supported by Apple's (vanilla) kernel (it's not recognized) - that's why I must use a legacy kernel...

Yup, my Pentium D has the EM64T instruction set as well, but it does not support full 64-bit mode, so you'll have to use the 'arch=i386' startup option.

Yup, my Pentium D has the EM64T instruction set as well, but it does not support full 64-bit mode, so you'll have to use the 'arch=i386' startup option.

Are your sure that the Pentium 4 and D processors with EM64T don't support full 64-bit mode? It makes no sense because I run both Linux and Solaris in 64-bit mode here with no issues... Windows 7 64-bit worked fine too...

You won't get the full 64bit system but you now can run 64bit apps and allocate more ram to processes (I think :D) check on your Activity Monitor and you'll see a lot of 64bit apps.

Yeah! You are right! Most of the apps are running in 64-bit mode!!! :D The kernel is not however... Probably because I am running some 32-bit kexts...

Thanks eMatoS!

So just the kernel runs in 32-bit mode? How can one tell that the apps are running in 64-bit mode under a legacy kernel? I checked System Monitor, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to identify it there .....

At the moment I have only some processes in 32-bit: kernel, flash (don't know if there is a 64-bit version), google notifier (old, no longer supported) and smartd.

You can easily find such information by looking at the column "Kind" in Activity Monitor.

At the moment I have only some processes in 32-bit: kernel, flash (don't know if there is a 64-bit version), google notifier (old, no longer supported) and smartd.

You can easily find such information by looking at the column "Kind" in Activity Monitor.

Kind just says 'Intel', that was the first thing I checked.

So you are in 32-bit mode. For 64-bit mode you will see "Intel (64 bit)"

Then yes, all apps are in 32-bit mode, using 'arch=i386' with the first version of qoopz/nawcom/AnV 10.6.4 legacy kernel, on a Pentium D 820 945GCZ MB ICH7 system.

If there is a thread showing how to successfully run in 64-bit mod with a Pentium D, please post the link.

Then yes, all apps are in 32-bit mode, using 'arch=i386' with the first version of qoopz/nawcom/AnV 10.6.4 legacy kernel, on a Pentium D 820 945GCZ MB ICH7 system.

If there is a thread showing how to successfully run in 64-bit mod with a Pentium D, please post the link.

Try the latest Anv's kernel (v4) and use the flags arch=i386 and -force64!

Try the latest Anv's kernel (v4) and use the flags arch=i386 and -force64!

Thanks, once I clone my current SL partition onto a separate drive, I'll give that a try. The video drivers on one of my 'cloned' partitions got corrupted and I haven't been able to fix them yet.

Guys, this kernel defaults to booting Legacy Mode, when it detects that the processor has em64t,

like if you used the -legacy kernel flag on vanilla kernel. That means 32 bit only, no 64 bit instructions

are processed, just like if you were running a 32 bit only cpu.

As you guys already know, -force64 disables this behavior and the normal booter behavior prevails.

If you're using Chameleon the normal behavior is, if the cpu has em64t tell the kernel to load

x86_64 architecture, else tell it to load i386 one, unless the user forces one or another arch.

So, if you guys keep doing

arch=i386 -force64

you will never boot full 64 bit mode! Use just -force64 for that.

Note: this is assuming the kernel has x86_64 architecture.

The code above forces 32 bit kernel & extensions, which allows to run 64 bit apps on OS X, but that

is a feature of the mach_kernel.

Still about the legacy kernel... this "default to legacy" was made so because, such processors like my

Pentium D 925 have some issues on 64 bit "modes"; mainly this thing that will crash any app that attempts

to play some video types, including the Wellcome one when we first run OS X.

This is also the reason why the "original" legacy kernel is only i386.

Hope this helps to clear some doubts :wacko: and if it's incorrect, please tell me and i'll try to check it out.

See ya...

Edited by Azimutz

Yes Azimutz that is correct but in my case I can only run 64 and 32bit apps using Andy's kernel with his sysenter patch and booting with arch=i386 -force64. With this kernel I can run full 64bit but without 32bit apps :wacko:. Sorry if I mislead some Intel users, I was talking from my AMD point of view hehe.

EDIT: Azimutz, can you run this kernel full 64bit? cause a file command on the kernel says:

iMac:~ XXXXXX$ file /legacy_kernel 
/legacy_kernel: Mach-O executable i386

So, if you guys keep doing

arch=i386 -force64

you will never boot full 64 bit mode! Use just -force64 for that.

Hi Azimutz,

Thank you for the clarification!

However when I try to boot only with "-force64" flag my PC resets immediately. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again.

Hi Azimutz,

Thank you for the clarification!

However when I try to boot only with "-force64" flag my PC resets immediately. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again.

Click on the "System and Patches" link on the bottom of his posts, and compare the kexts he is using to what you are. This is usually a good first step...

I'm already using his kexts... :rolleyes:

Simply 'using' them is not enough. First is your system exactly like his? Next have you modified all the plists within, if necessary. What is in your DSDT? Does it have all the basic fixes, perhaps others? All these questions need to be answered, but not here .... You may also want to download the latest SleepEnabler, and remove all unnecessary and possibly conflicting kexts (AppleHDA if you're using VoodooHDA, perhaps AppleHPET, etc...)

@Azimutz, I see that your system is very close to mine (Pentium D 820, D945G, ICH7, AHCI SATA). Any chance of getting a copy of your DSDT to compare some of the code ? :)

EDIT: also, which mac are you emulating in your SMBIOS?

Sure.. just dsdt? :) i can get all of them + patched if you wait a bit...

Atm i'm using Chameleon default, iMac8,1; Macpro2,1 also works fine. I usually follow GeekBench's opinion on the matter... if it fools him, it's fine :D works with the mentioned two.

Yes Azimutz that is correct but in my case I can only run 64 and 32bit apps using Andy's kernel with his sysenter patch and booting with arch=i386 -force64. With this kernel I can run full 64bit but without 32bit apps :rolleyes: . Sorry if I mislead some Intel users, I was talking from my AMD point of view hehe.

EDIT: Azimutz, can you run this kernel full 64bit? cause a file command on the kernel says:

iMac:~ XXXXXX$ file /legacy_kernel 
/legacy_kernel: Mach-O executable i386

No problem.. i also was too focused on my Intel user point of view and completely forgot about the kernel arch :P

But, what i really wanted to explain was the -force64 thing and the interaction with the booter.

About running "full" 64 bit, that depends on the kernel; for the previous post i checked the latest AnV posted, it's i386/x86_64 but i didn't tried it;

i also don't try legacy_kernel in a long time, but i remember it used to be only i386.

These days i patch my self the kernel, just the minimal for the Pentium D or don't patch at all (at least physically);

atm i'm booting vanilla kernel (on legacy mode) thanks to Meklorts work, just bypassing cpuid panic.

It's all the Pentium D needs booting legacy mode; to go 64 bit, physical patch is still needed.

skn, with what kernel? if the kernel is only i386 you'll get that.

p.s.: be careful with the Patches section on my sig, it's bit outdated...

AnV's latest kernel (posted here) is i386/x86_64 but it won't boot using x86_64, instant reboot after chameleon so no clue about that, he was trying to figure that out but haven't heard anything else.

Anyway, it's working fine with 32 and 64 bit apps so no complain at all, I'm very thankfull to this team for the kernel and the chameleon group for the excellent bootloader.

Sure.. just dsdt? :rolleyes: i can get all of them + patched if you wait a bit...

Atm i'm using Chameleon default, iMac8,1; Macpro2,1 also works fine. I usually follow GeekBench's opinion on the matter... if it fools him, it's fine :) works with the mentioned two.

No problem.. i also was too focused on my Intel user point of view and completely forgot about the kernel arch :D

But, what i really wanted to explain was the -force64 thing and the interaction with the booter.

About running "full" 64 bit, that depends on the kernel; for the previous post i checked the latest AnV posted, it's i386/x86_64 but i didn't tried it; i also don't try legacy_kernel in a long time, but i remember it used to be only i386.

These days i patch my self the kernel, just the minimal for the Pentium D or don't patch at all (at least physically);

atm i'm booting vanilla kernel (on legacy mode) thanks to Meklorts work, just bypassing cpuid panic.

It's all the Pentium D needs booting legacy mode; to go 64 bit, physical patch is still needed.

skn, with what kernel? if the kernel is only i386 you'll get that.

p.s.: be careful with the Patches section on my sig, it's bit outdated...

As mentioned above, I've got a Pentium D 820, D945GCZ motherboard with ICH7, AHCI SATA with eSata working, and nVidia 9500GT on a 10.6.4 legacy kernel system. So any relevant files would be nice :)

I've been using the Slice patched FakeSMC, but will probably be going back to the standard one, as it doesn't recognize all temp sensors and fans.

What I really would like to see is how your USB ports are handled in your DSDT, as this is causing me some porblems with my USB BT dongle that I use for my MagicMouse.

This is my current DSDT, in which I've renamed everything to Apple's standards, removed Serial and Parallel code, removed TPM code, added some basic fixes, forced a couple of devices, etc.

dsdt_without_TPM.dsl.zip