Radeon 4650 - 10.6.4 - Still no dual screen

errandwolfe

30 posts in this topic

So I have a Radeon 4650 1 Gb. Got QE/CI working by adding device ID to the ATI4600Controller and ATIRadeonX2000 kext files. Still having the same issues I was having with 10.6.3...

-Monitors work only in mirror mode

-Cant use straight DVI for dual screen, must use a DVI->VGA converter or both screens go black (power save) upon GUI load.

I was thinking it might be worth trying to put and EFI boot string in the boot.plsit. My only issue is I am fairly confused on how to generate this boot string. From what I read you need to have some sort of hex file to start with. Can anyone help out?

lots of people dont know this, but OS X does not support dual monitors,no matter what video card your have, it only supports mirrored monitors.

HOpe this helps.

I am about to get a 4650 myself, can you tell how you got it to work? I have a 10.6.4 hackintosh

lots of people dont know this, but OS X does not support dual monitors,no matter what video card your have, it only supports mirrored monitors.

i think i misunderstood your post. could you be a bit more clear on that?

btw, i've been using xfx4890 card on my machine (see sig) with dual display (not mirrored) since 10.6.0.

before that i used 3870 card with dual display (not mirrored) in leopard, but had to change it for a 4xxx due to incompatibility with snow.

maybe you are referring to a specific brand or model?

HOpe this helps.

I am about to get a 4650 myself, can you tell how you got it to work? I have a 10.6.4 hackintosh

Just to be clear here.....

Are you saying specifically that the 4650 does not support dual monitors?

or...

Are you saying the OS X itself has no support for ANY dual monitors?

If in fact you are saying the latter then I would highly recommend you seek mental help as you are hopelessly insane.

If however you are going with the first well then I would still say you are wrong. The card itself supports dual monitors, OS X of course supports it, so it is simply a matter of getting those two concepts to play nicely together. Hardly seems impossible. If you can get one monitor working with QE/CI then the driver itself has to work. Just a matter of finding out WHY OS X refuses to see the second display.

Just to be clear here.....

Are you saying specifically that the 4650 does not support dual monitors?

or...

Are you saying the OS X itself has no support for ANY dual monitors?

The 46X0 cards do not support dual monitoring on OS X (expect mirrored DVI using ATY,Peregrine framebuffer) - this is beeing caused by the ROM beeing injected, as the iMac actually has one display that is used as "internal" & allows only on external display.

The 46X0 cards do not support dual monitoring on OS X (expect mirrored DVI using ATY,Peregrine framebuffer) - this is beeing caused by the ROM beeing injected, as the iMac actually has one display that is used as "internal" & allows only on external display.

Ah ha! Thank you!

That is the very best explanation of the problem I have read in months. Now my next question....

Is this something that can be over come eventually by the coders such as Netkas or JaS or is it basically an impossibility and no one is going to waste their time on it?

• 2 weeks later...

Well just to add another chapter to the saga....

Purchased a HDMI to DVI adapter. Still no luck with dual display. Secondary (VGA) display boots into power save mode as soon as the GUI loads. Display is mirrored prior to GUI load.

Is there any chance at all of correcting this issue? Maybe one of the dev's like Netkas or JaS could take a look?

Well here is yet another chapter...

Was reading in a forum discussing the 4850 that they were able to over come this issue by making use of all 3 ports on the card.

-In the DVI port, use a DVI to VGA adapter and plug screen 1 in VGA

-In the VGA port plug in screen 2

-In the HDMI port plug in an HDMI to DVI converter, into that converter plug in a DVI to VGA converter. Putting the VGA converter on acts as a sort of "null plug"

Well with all my hopes up I went and tried this method....Nope no luck....

Tried removing the DVI-VGA converter and plugging screen 1 directly to DVI...

No luck

Come on guys there has to be SOME way to make this happen, wish I had the programming skills to really dig into this!

So I have a Radeon 4650 1 Gb. Got QE/CI working by adding device ID to the ATI4600Controller and ATIRadeonX2000 kext files. Still having the same issues I was having with 10.6.3...

-Monitors work only in mirror mode

-Cant use straight DVI for dual screen, must use a DVI->VGA converter or both screens go black (power save) upon GUI load.

I was thinking it might be worth trying to put and EFI boot string in the boot.plsit. My only issue is I am fairly confused on how to generate this boot string. From what I read you need to have some sort of hex file to start with. Can anyone help out?

can't you post the ATI4600Controller and ATIRadeonX2000 kext ? it would really help other people ;)

can't you post the ATI4600Controller and ATIRadeonX2000 kext ? it would really help other people ;)

Here you go....

http://rapidshare.com/files/406016234/4650...t_Pack_1064.zip

Just so everyone knows, to the best of my knowledge no one has gotten dual screen working in 10.6.4.

I have a single screen working with QE/CI but have never been able to get both displays working. Almost all attempts have ended with one of the monitors left in a power save mode/no signal mode. The only other result is I get both screens to power on, but it is locked in mirror mode.

I have tried with these combinations:

VGA + DVI

VGA + DVI (using VGA/DVI convertergrey_loader.gif)

VGA + HDMI

VGA + HDMI (using HDMI to DVI converter)

VGA + HMDI (using HDMI to DVI converter + DVI to VGA converter)

DVI + HDMI

DVI + HDMI (using DVI to VGA converter)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the post :D i will try help you as soon as i can, im working on the samething as you are. ass far as i have gotten is nothing, but you have given me a new chance to see it from your perspective :D

thanks,

CrazyVirus

Crazy, if you have any thoughts kicking around on how we might over come this, would love to hear them.

Also came across an interesting thread regarding the 4350. It seems they have the same issue as us, QE/CI but no dual monitor. They are theorizing that building an EFI string rather then using GraphicsEnabler might allow them to overcome the issue.

Link to the thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...219362&st=0

Crazy, if you have any thoughts kicking around on how we might over come this, would love to hear them.

Also came across an interesting thread regarding the 4350. It seems they have the same issue as us, QE/CI but no dual monitor. They are theorizing that building an EFI string rather then using GraphicsEnabler might allow them to overcome the issue.

Link to the thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...219362&st=0

it sound like it could work... but im not soo good at EFI strings, but i will post in this topic if i get it working and i will try as hard as i will to make it work :(

CrazyVirus

Just came across this thread in Italian, it looks like someone MAY have gotten dual screens working. I can't understand enough of the google translation to figure out WHAT they have done though. I have e-mailed a few people on the thread and hopefully someone will get back to me.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1515854

Okay so here are my results from investigation into that Italian thread...

I attempted to install the two kexts listed on page 1 for 10.6.4

After installing I still had the same problem with only VGA "powering on" after GUI

I decided to remove my bootloader and go with the straight Chameleon RC 4 package.

That was a bad idea, RadeonX2000 kext would cause a KP

Decided to try the Asere bootloader

( http://efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644 )

And am in the exact same situation...VGA powers on, no DVI no HDMI.

Okay so here are my results from investigation into that Italian thread...

I attempted to install the two kexts listed on page 1 for 10.6.4

After installing I still had the same problem with only VGA "powering on" after GUI

I decided to remove my bootloader and go with the straight Chameleon RC 4 package.

That was a bad idea, RadeonX2000 kext would cause a KP

Decided to try the Asere bootloader

( http://efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644 )

And am in the exact same situation...VGA powers on, no DVI no HDMI.

well i could've told you that, word of advice for the future radeonx2000.kext is too damn vital, when messing with that kext there is a 90% failure rate, the only way you can modify it safely is by only adding your NECESSARY information or youll most likely end up in kernal panic because this is the kext that enables qe/ci and if you dont get it done right then ur screwed(kp)

Just to be clear, the X2000 kext from that thread did work as far as QE/CI. Once I tried the new bootloader it got rid of the KP's. Just still no dual screen.

what! i wish i saw this earlier cuz now im confused, maybe its the kexts being loaded?(kinda brainstorming with myself) idk ima take a look at this bootloader to see if its ati 4300 compatible then try it on my system

Here is something I noticed though and maybe this will help send you down the right path. If you take a look at the screen shot I have posted....

OS X is in fact picking up both display ports....BUT...It looks like it is trying to read an Apple Display Connector rather then VGA, DVI, or HDMI.

Perhaps the data you need to be looking for is the definition of what each port actually DOES (VGA.DVI, etc..) rather then it being a power issue. If you could find that section that defines the second connection as ADC and instead describe it as VGA or DVI then perhaps the port would actually initialize and power on properly.

post-3211-1280226587_thumb.jpg

Here you go....

http://rapidshare.com/files/406016234/4650...t_Pack_1064.zip

Just so everyone knows, to the best of my knowledge no one has gotten dual screen working in 10.6.4.

I have a single screen working with QE/CI but have never been able to get both displays working. Almost all attempts have ended with one of the monitors left in a power save mode/no signal mode. The only other result is I get both screens to power on, but it is locked in mirror mode.

I have tried with these combinations:

VGA + DVI

VGA + DVI (using VGA/DVI convertergrey_loader.gif)

VGA + HDMI

VGA + HDMI (using HDMI to DVI converter)

VGA + HMDI (using HDMI to DVI converter + DVI to VGA converter)

DVI + HDMI

DVI + HDMI (using DVI to VGA converter)

Can you re-upload the kexts? I want to try them. ;)

hey, i tryed every kext i have found. and i have problem getting my card detected... how do you guys install the kexts?? i have tryed kexthelper and just draging it into the extension folder :) and btw i have a laptop ;D

hey, i tryed every kext i have found. and i have problem getting my card detected... how do you guys install the kexts?? i have tryed kexthelper and just draging it into the extension folder :P and btw i have a laptop ;D

Then your problem is you don't have a Radeon 4650. You have a Radeon MOBILE 4650. They are two very totally different GPU's. This thread is for discussion involving the desktop model only.

HI, I tried out every combination by now. VGA+DVI, VGA+HDMI->DVI, VGA+DVI->VGA, and all the three together. But as soon as the GUI loads, the screen goes black.

I have a Saphire4650 with 512 MB running on a Conroe1333-D667 Bios1.80.

If I boot with the modified Vanilla kexts using the internal graohics GMA950, the system preferences , console and activity monitor do not work anymore. They hang on some problem with the ATIx2000.kext.

In Systemprofiler the card is shown and all ATI kexts are loaded. BUt it shows no Monitor connected even if they are.

Any advice?