Time changes in XP after running OSX

seanbperiod

26 posts in this topic

Believe me, people, if you use search first...

known issue, put one of your clocks with GMT.

OS X with your Time Zone and XP on GMT or

OS X with GMT and XP with your Time Zone, deal done.

me 2.

But quite strange.  I am using completely two harddisks.  I will take away one hardisk if booting another os.  The time will be nine hours behind.

Two hard disk is nothing to do with it, time is in the RTC not in the Disks.

So you are GMT+9 or GMT-9?

Believe me, people, if you use search first...

known issue, put one of your clocks with GMT.

OS X with your Time Zone and XP on GMT or

OS X with GMT and XP with your Time Zone, deal done.

I set XP on GMT and Mac on my time. Restarted to both OS. XP time is stilled borked. But still set to GMT. I tried to go the other way and set Mac to GMT but I can't find GMT in Mac :blink:. I'm going to pst a trouble ticket over at Apple. I hope they can solve this problem :lol:

The problem is that MacOS, like many Unices, assumes that the RTC time and date is UTC, aka Greenwich Mean Time. Windows instead always assumes that it's local time. So if you don't live in Greenwich or in the same meridian you get the problem. One solution could be to program both windows and macos to synchronize with a ntp server at startup, if there is a permanent net access of course.

... One solution could be to program both windows and macos to synchronize with a ntp server at startup, if there is a permanent net access of course.

That's what I was using 2 days ago. The problem is, I haven't found a way for windows to check the NTP server at boot. We can however use a 3rd party application to run a check during the startup sequence but thats just more applications that needs to be installed just because Windows Time check doesn't collect the time when you reach your desktop.

That's what I was using 2 days ago. The problem is, I haven't found a way for windows to check the NTP server at boot. We can however use a 3rd party application to run a check during the startup sequence but thats just more applications that needs to be installed just because Windows Time check doesn't collect the time when you reach your desktop.

You can sync at boot with this batch

w32tm /resync

exit

using the ntp server defined in the clock settings (this works on XP)

• 4 weeks later...