[GUIDE] Dell Latitude E6410

ktbos

153 posts in this topic

Rembrand:

Im pretty new on this. I can know how to install the .kext file, but don't now how to manage the rest. Can you explain it a little bit more?

Regards.

use the kexthelper as you do for voodoo hda. nvenabler you get on kexts.com. then if you boot in chameleon and you see the mac logo type -x32 -s enter. then folow what you read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This guide worked great for me, but I was getting kernel panic's about AppleSMCPDRC on my E6510 i5 every time I tried to update to 10.6.4. I finally have everything working (on the vanilla 10.6.4 kernel no less) by using Pacifist to install everything in the 10.6.4 Combo Update package except the AppleIntelHD* KEXTs. So if you're having update problems, try that.

its very annoying with shutdown/restart issues. Anyone solved this problem?

I cannot be able to upgrade to 10.6.4, but I got 10.6.3 by using the original SL 10.6.3.

I also got sound, wifi (changed to a wifi adapter, I used this one), sound, Nvidia nvs3100 fully working with QE/I with NVEnabler kext.

Could you guys please give an update of the current status of your systems? What are the remaining problems? Did you all follow the guide in post 1?

I have an E6510 (i5, nvs 3100M, 8GB DDR3, Intel 82577LM, Intel Ultimate-N 6300 AGN, bluetooth) and would very much like to install OSX soon if it is stable.

I will only be running Windows 7 and OSX but will use it with the E-Dock and primarily the DisplayPort, but also VGA from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

To those who got 10.6.4 installed, did you do it through Software Update or manually from the Combo Update dmg file? 10.6.3 installed from the Retail DVD no problem, but when I try to update to 10.6.4 it just hangs at the ACPI line. Here were my steps:

1. Boot to CD

2. Remove CD, Install from 10.6.3 DVD

3. Reboot to CD

4. Install PS2 Kext for trackpad, Install Ethernet Kext, Reboot

5. Connect ethernet

6. 10.6.4 update through Software Update

KP :)

To those who got 10.6.4 installed, did you do it through Software Update or manually from the Combo Update dmg file? 10.6.3 installed from the Retail DVD no problem, but when I try to update to 10.6.4 it just hangs at the ACPI line. Here were my steps:

1. Boot to CD

2. Remove CD, Install from 10.6.3 DVD

3. Reboot to CD

4. Install PS2 Kext for trackpad, Install Ethernet Kext, Reboot

5. Connect ethernet

6. 10.6.4 update through Software Update

KP :)

I did a direct download software update to 10.6.4 from a retail 10.6.3 install..

like the others here: the only thing that is not working: "restart - shutdown - (stock) wifi"

for wifi, I uses a cheap Airlink101 usb dongle and get blasting "N" speed

you can use the "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]" app from here

for extra tweaking

I installed OSX on removable drive placed in a optical caddy enclosure so when I use OSX I just press F12 and boot form it....

I have a Latitude e6410 and have attempted to do the 'Hackintosh' thing using the guide...

I get to step 5. - so before even being asked to accept the license and am getting the attached error.

I have upgraded the BIOS to A05, and am still getting exactly the same error...

I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

post-684738-1288332432_thumb.jpg

I have a Latitude e6410 and have attempted to do the 'Hackintosh' thing using the guide...

I get to step 5. - so before even being asked to accept the license and am getting the attached error.

I have upgraded the BIOS to A05, and am still getting exactly the same error...

I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

after your upgrade to A05 did you do step #1 and check if AHCI in on.

it's better to use a new hard drive, but if you already have window on it you will have to format your drive with disk utility to install 10.6.3

at boot try -v -f

after your upgrade to A05 did you do step #1 and check if AHCI in on.

it's better to use a new hard drive, but if you already have window on it you will have to format your drive with disk utility to install 10.6.3

at boot try -v -f

Yes AHCI was defiinately selected.

I do already have windows installed on the machine, however this has been imaged and I'm not bothered about having to format the drive. Does this need to be done so that I can get the installation process to start? Note: I cannot even get to the accepting the license, so I don't have a chance to get to Disk Utility.

How do I enable -v -f? I use the BootCDE6410 boot CD then boot the Retail DVD.

I have tried pressing F8 while both are loading but nothing happens...

Yes AHCI was defiinately selected.

I do already have windows installed on the machine, however this has been imaged and I'm not bothered about having to format the drive. Does this need to be done so that I can get the installation process to start? Note: I cannot even get to the accepting the license, so I don't have a chance to get to Disk Utility.

How do I enable -v -f? I use the BootCDE6410 boot CD then boot the Retail DVD.

I have tried pressing F8 while both are loading but nothing happens...

When you take out your boot cd and put your dvd, hit f5, then select your dvd icon, then type -v -f and enter ....

Could someone post an updated version of the guide, especially now that Project Camphor (http://projectcamphor.mercurysquad.com/) has had a release.

I would appreciate it if the entire install process is USB drive based (I dont have a DVD drive in my E6410).

Also, will OSX still be usable if I have only an intel card on my laptop ?

Project Camphor is great, WPA is not yet supported so  ...

I will stick with my USB airlink 101, just getting rocking speed..

to make a usb bootable thumb drive go > here   

• 2 weeks later...

I'm following the guide and I get past the install. I see the expected error message and then reboot. When I try to load my mac partition from the chameleon bootloader, it goes through for a while, and then just halts the CPU and my computer turns off. Any ideas?

Edit: After trying it again it gets to com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded and then just stops and occasionally says "Still waiting for root device"

• 2 weeks later...
I'm following the guide and I get past the install. I see the expected error message and then reboot. When I try to load my mac partition from the chameleon bootloader, it goes through for a while, and then just halts the CPU and my computer turns off. Any ideas?

Edit: After trying it again it gets to com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded and then just stops and occasionally says "Still waiting for root device"

Strange that you get an error that is so different than any that other E6410 users have seen. Can you list the full specs of your computer? Perhaps there is newer hardware in yours that previous builds didn't have?

First up, thanks for putting this guide together...if there's a donate now button anywhere so I can buy you a case of beer let me know :)

So I finally cracked and went out to bestbuy today and picked up a copy of Sony Leopard (10.6.3). Followed your instructions, and after I worked out that the 8gb of ram in my E6410 was the problem, was able to follow the install guide without any major issues.

I did the software update and it seems to be mostly happy running 10.6.5

A quick question - has anyone had problems running flash content in safari? It causes Safari to die on this hackintosh.

I'm about to go hit the search button, but on the off chance anyone knows, how do I get into single user mode to do the fix to allow me to put the other 4Gb dimm back into the E6410?

Cheers!

Turns out the flash problem is limited to Safari...Firefox has no issues with it at all! Still curious however if anyone has a solution.

Hi there,

I've followed the instructions and have now reinstalled 3 times trying to get a later release working on my E6410. The first time after installation and the two kexthelper installs (mouse and ethernet)..I'm installing 10.6.0 retail CD btw...I try to update the OS using the combo pack to 10.6.5, however after reboot I get the apple logo and it will just sit there.

So I reinstalled thinking I might do an incremental upgrade and downloaded the individual update files from the apple site. 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 installed fine...but then the 10.6.3 had the same issue as when I did the 10.6.5 combo with the apple sitting there after reboot.

I'm assuming I need to get it to the latest before doing the Voodoo kexts etc.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi there,

I've followed the instructions and have now reinstalled 3 times trying to get a later release working on my E6410. The first time after installation and the two kexthelper installs (mouse and ethernet)..I'm installing 10.6.0 retail CD btw...I try to update the OS using the combo pack to 10.6.5, however after reboot I get the apple logo and it will just sit there.

So I reinstalled thinking I might do an incremental upgrade and downloaded the individual update files from the apple site. 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 installed fine...but then the 10.6.3 had the same issue as when I did the 10.6.5 combo with the apple sitting there after reboot.

I'm assuming I need to get it to the latest before doing the Voodoo kexts etc.

Any help would be appreciated

What are your system specs?

What are your system specs?

Have the Intel graphics,

4 gig RAM,

Intel Centrino Advanced-N Wireless

I7 CPU

I'm a bit of a noob with Macs...but happy to run any commands that give you a better idea....where the hell is lspci when you need it :)

EDIT: I managed to get my hands on a 10.6.3 disk and installed using that...I've just ran the 10.6.5 combo update and it looked better but still stalled after rebooting. I've realised though, that at the end of the updates I was using previously that would fail the reboot, the screen would go translucent and tell me I had to hold the power button down and restart the machine right at the end of installation. It didn't do it with the new 10.6.3 to 10.6.5 update though. So now I guess I'll try 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 and work my way up again. I still haven't loaded the sound drivers and I'm not sure if that's whats causing my issues or not...

UPDATE: I have tried incrementally upgrading from the 10.6.3 install to 4 then 5 and dont get the transparent screen telling me to restart...but still get stuck at the apple logo on reboot. I've also tried the combo update to 5 straight from 3 with the same problem. I've also tried adding the Voodoo kext before upgrading to no avail. I'm currently reinstalling 10.6.3 and I am going to compare the verbose boots of each...there were a bunch of errors at the stall point of my last upgrade...but I want to see a comparison between the two to see where its going wrong.

UPDATE 2: They're significantly different verbose startups...obviously it is a bit hard for me to capture unless I took a photo. Might be stuck with 10.6.3 until a newer retail version comes out -_-

Have the Intel graphics,

4 gig RAM,

Intel Centrino Advanced-N Wireless

I7 CPU

I'm a bit of a noob with Macs...but happy to run any commands that give you a better idea....where the hell is lspci when you need it :P

EDIT: I managed to get my hands on a 10.6.3 disk and installed using that...I've just ran the 10.6.5 combo update and it looked better but still stalled after rebooting. I've realised though, that at the end of the updates I was using previously that would fail the reboot, the screen would go translucent and tell me I had to hold the power button down and restart the machine right at the end of installation. It didn't do it with the new 10.6.3 to 10.6.5 update though. So now I guess I'll try 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 and work my way up again. I still haven't loaded the sound drivers and I'm not sure if that's whats causing my issues or not...

UPDATE: I have tried incrementally upgrading from the 10.6.3 install to 4 then 5 and dont get the transparent screen telling me to restart...but still get stuck at the apple logo on reboot. I've also tried the combo update to 5 straight from 3 with the same problem. I've also tried adding the Voodoo kext before upgrading to no avail. I'm currently reinstalling 10.6.3 and I am going to compare the verbose boots of each...there were a bunch of errors at the stall point of my last upgrade...but I want to see a comparison between the two to see where its going wrong.

UPDATE 2: They're significantly different verbose startups...obviously it is a bit hard for me to capture unless I took a photo. Might be stuck with 10.6.3 until a newer retail version comes out :)

Okay, so there are a number of differences between your specs and mine. For starters, make sure that GraphicsEnabler is off in Chameleon. Next, use your BIOS to shut off the WiFi, just in case that's an issue. The Voodoo audio shouldn't be the issue so I would worry about that secondarily. It's possible that the i7 makes a difference with the kernel but that seems unlikely. Your RAM shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, my bet is that it's the video that is causing the trouble since that's the most significant difference between what I have and what you have.

One more thought is that there's a possibility that the Mac isn't hung but is actually working without video. And that the video will eventually start working. One way to check is to make sure that you can telnet/rsh in to the Mac from another computer even though the graphics will be out. If you can, and all appears well, give it as much as 15 minutes to see what happens. I had one hacintosh (not the E6410) that just needed to sort of settle it's video issues over a few minutes and I kept on interpreting the blue screen I saw as I would a Windows BSOD. I don't know if your apple logo screen is a similar issue - probably not.

First up, thanks for putting this guide together...if there's a donate now button anywhere so I can buy you a case of beer let me know :D

So I finally cracked and went out to bestbuy today and picked up a copy of Sony Leopard (10.6.3). Followed your instructions, and after I worked out that the 8gb of ram in my E6410 was the problem, was able to follow the install guide without any major issues.

I did the software update and it seems to be mostly happy running 10.6.5

A quick question - has anyone had problems running flash content in safari? It causes Safari to die on this hackintosh.

I'm about to go hit the search button, but on the off chance anyone knows, how do I get into single user mode to do the fix to allow me to put the other 4Gb dimm back into the E6410?

Cheers!

Turns out the flash problem is limited to Safari...Firefox has no issues with it at all! Still curious however if anyone has a solution.

Thanks, but I think we should hold the beer until we get the WiFi and the graphics fully functional with an easy install that doesn't have problems with updates!

After a bit of reading, I think the 10.6.4 and 10.6.5 updates install the new intelhd driver from Apple, but this driver is for the macs with the i3,i5 and i7 cpus with the inbuilt Intel HD video cards and that have the added ATI/NVidia cards. I believe the driver tries to find the other video card and as my specific machine only has the Intel HD card it will lock the PC up on load.

There doesn't look like a native IntelHD kext will be written in the near future as Apple aren't selling any hardware with only that. I believe the MBA was going to be the closest thing, but they changed the CPU to a Core Duo and not the i(x) series CPU's.

Been a long learning curve and I'm really bummed QE/CI don't look like they're going to work with this particular laptop for a while at least. (I really wanted a hackintosh mainly for iMovie which requires QE).

Thanks for the reading my {censored} :)

EDIT: Does anyone know if QE will work with the inbuilt NVS3100M cards that come optional with these laptops? I'd look at buying one seperately if QE would work with it!

Thanks, but I think we should hold the beer until we get the WiFi and the graphics fully functional with an easy install that doesn't have problems with updates!

I don't mind either way :) Your guide gave me the momentum I needed to actually try a hackintosh (in 21 easy steps or whatever it was), which ultimately led to me purchasing one yesterday.

I also picked up a Dell DW1397 wifi (B/G) card on ebay (I figured it's only $20) which I've now got in the E6410 and it works fine under windows 7 (x64 Ultimate), but OS X doesn't seem to detect it (that said, I'm only on 10.6.3 as I haven't got round to running the software update since the reinstall).

Has anyone else hit this hurdle, as my (evidently insufficient) research on the internet suggested that this particular card worked well with Hackintoshes...am I better off picking up one of the DW1520 cards?

TIA