[GUIDE] Dell Latitude E6410

ktbos

153 posts in this topic

okay it is finally installed ...is there a way to fix wireless . i been looking everywhere for it ..any updates on this ? thanks so much for all this work you have done. I did not run the sudo command should i ?Also does the battery charge still work. I noticed my battery says condition replace now and 15:02. i have the power adapter hooked up and wondering if not charging ? This is brand new laptop also .

not sure if anyone has seen this on e6410 but does there grab work ? I have tried another program to get screen shots and it is like my monitor does not exist or can capture from. I am so confused .i have looked all over the net and wondered if anyone else has same problem. I can download any desktop capture program and the screen shot shows up blank ..how do i check to see if i have right video drivers.

not sure if anyone has seen this on e6410 but does there grab work ? I have tried another program to get screen shots and it is like my monitor does not exist or can capture from. I am so confused .i have looked all over the net and wondered if anyone else has same problem. I can download any desktop capture program and the screen shot shows up blank ..how do i check to see if i have right video drivers.

Wow, good find mmoore5553. Same thing happens to me. I'm not sure how Grab works or what it is a sign of. If Grab requires Core Image/Quartz Extreme to work, then that's an easy answer why Grab isn't working. But if that's not the case, I really don't know why other than to say that it is apparently related to having a video driver that isn't completely working. It could be that we'll need to wait for the Hacintosh video drivers to catch up to our hardware.

Which video card do you have, anyway? That might help start establishing a data point. Mine is the NVS3100M (discrete card).

• 3 weeks later...

EDIT: Never mind, I found the problem. I forgot to remove VoodooHDA before upgrading. Trying again with a fresh install.

As it turns out, AppleHDA is not the culprit, it's AppleSMC causing the kernel panic at about 95%.

I updated to 10.6.4 using the software updater and everything worked fine. I suspect as ktbos mentioned the audio kext might be the problem because I have not yet installed it and my update worked without issues.

Did you run the Post-Installer before updating to 10.6.4, or did you update right out of the box?

I got QE/CI working with the NVS 3100m video card on the dell E6410.

What you need are kexts from fermi_package_20100803.dmg someone has the bundle for the new gtxs and it works for the NVS 3100m.

Just install the dmg, reboot and nvenabler should have QE/CI working. It says unknow nvidia card, but i dont mind. Havent bothered to add a device string.

Everything works except the wireless.

I got QE/CI working with the NVS 3100m video card on the dell E6410.

What you need are kexts from fermi_package_20100803.dmg someone has the bundle for the new gtxs and it works for the NVS 3100m.

Just install the dmg, reboot and nvenabler should have QE/CI working. It says unknow nvidia card, but i dont mind. Havent bothered to add a device string.

Everything works except the wireless.

Great find, kalim! Thanks! When I get a chance I'll do it on my E6410 and update the package to include that dmg.

Great find, kalim! Thanks! When I get a chance I'll do it on my E6410 and update the package to include that dmg.

It's not stable! If i play around in Dashboard it takes approx 1min. until the Notebook locks up. Removing the inject setting from chameleon, fixes the lockups but also disables QE :-/

Any help is welcome.

I am trying (triple boot) guide on my e6510 and I get stuck between step 14 and 15 in the Mac OS Setup part. The install fails as expected, and after reboot the chameleon boot loader shows the HFS+ partition. But when I try to boot from it, I get an error that forces the system to shutdown.

/dev/rdisk0s3

Unexpected Inconsistency

Exited with Signal 8

Can't initialize disk cache

fsck failed

CPU HALTED

I have tried to identify /dev/rdisk0s3, which seems to be my hfs+ partition.

I have re-installed several times and redone the partition scheme different ways (mainly GUID)

At one point I gave up in frustration and used clonezilla to restore my dell back to factory settings (Win7) from the iso I made prior to the Hac attempt. Then I tried installing SL on a 16GB Kingston thumb drive only to get hung up at the exact same spot.

I boot back into the installer to use terminal to run fsck and fsck reports back:

Bad Super Block: Magic Number Wrong

Any suggestions? The only thing I'm doing different from your guide is I'm using SnowLeopard installer from an 8GB Kingston thumbdrive instead of an actual install DVD. I have installed from this installer on other Hacintosh without problems.

Signal8.png

I am trying (triple boot) guide on my e6510 and I get stuck between step 14 and 15 in the Mac OS Setup part. The install fails as expected, and after reboot the chameleon boot loader shows the HFS+ partition. But when I try to boot from it, I get an error that forces the system to shutdown.

/dev/rdisk0s3

Unexpected Inconsistency

Exited with Signal 8

Can't initialize disk cache

fsck failed

CPU HALTED

I have tried to identify /dev/rdisk0s3, which seems to be my hfs+ partition.

I have re-installed several times and redone the partition scheme different ways (mainly GUID)

At one point I gave up in frustration and used clonezilla to restore my dell back to factory settings (Win7) from the iso I made prior to the Hac attempt. Then I tried installing SL on a 16GB Kingston thumb drive only to get hung up at the exact same spot.

I boot back into the installer to use terminal to run fsck and fsck reports back:

Bad Super Block: Magic Number Wrong

Any suggestions? The only thing I'm doing different from your guide is I'm using SnowLeopard installer from an 8GB Kingston thumbdrive instead of an actual install DVD. I have installed from this installer on other Hacintosh without problems.

Signal8.png

I'm not sure why fsck would need to run - perhaps there is a disk hardware problem? What happens if you boot in single user mode using the MAC OS install DVD and do a manual call to fsck on your hard drive?

I'm not sure why fsck would need to run - perhaps there is a disk hardware problem? What happens if you boot in single user mode using the MAC OS install DVD and do a manual call to fsck on your hard drive?

I get the same BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG error...

fsck also told me there were blocks it could not access,

I'm going to try a few more things and take some more screenshots.

I tried installing to my thumb drive that I formatted and partitioned on another Hac and when I attempt to boot from it I get the same error as before, although now on /dev/rdisk1s2 , which is the hfs+ partition I installed to.

This is from my terminal when I boot into the installer and run fsck:

BadSuperBlock.jpg

so it seems my problem has to do with the fact that my e6510 has 8GB of ram..

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1876&st=100

A solution was proposed, but I am unsure how to boot into single user mode AND have read/write privs.

I tried the following, but every command returned a scolding about how I was in read only directory.

Nope, nothing weird.

You are running Hac in 32-bit mode, thus user-space tools are limited with 4GB of address space.

Actually, this is fsck_hfs faulting on checks with RAM >4GB. And it fails only for the root partition.

Just boot in single-user mode and do:

# mv /sbin/fsck_hfs{,.orig}
# printf '#!/bin/bash\nexec /sbin/fsck_hfs.orig -c512m "$@"' > /sbin/fsck_hfs
# chmod +x /sbin/fsck_hfs
#

Enjoy full RAM over 4GB!

so it seems my problem has to do with the fact that my e6510 has 8GB of ram..

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1876&st=100

A solution was proposed, but I am unsure how to boot into single user mode AND have read/write privs.

I tried the following, but every command returned a scolding about how I was in read only directory.

When you boot in single user mode, it tells you the command to do read/write. Ignore the one for "fsck" and just do:

/sbin/mount -uw /

Post back and let us know if the fix you describe fixes your fsck issue.

Nope, nothing weird.

You are running Hac in 32-bit mode, thus user-space tools are limited with 4GB of address space.

Actually, this is fsck_hfs faulting on checks with RAM >4GB. And it fails only for the root partition.

Just boot in single-user mode and do:

#  mv /sbin/fsck_hfs{,.orig}
# printf '#!/bin/bash\nexec  /sbin/fsck_hfs.orig -c512m "$@"' > /sbin/fsck_hfs
# chmod +x  /sbin/fsck_hfs
#

Enjoy full RAM over 4GB!

This fix worked after I made the partition writable with /sbin/mount -uw /

Still using the 16GB Kngston USB drive, I booted in to 10.6 and got to step 19 before I hit another snag. Software update failed twice using the combo updater (now 10.6.4), saying the installer was corrupt. On another Hac, I DL'd the combo updater package directly from Apple support and saved to another thumb drive. When I run this update, the installer gets to about 99% with a minute left an then hangs. Then the system cannot be rebooted and I have to re-install.

I'll answer my own question; I was able to successful install 10.6.4 by using a 10.6.3. retail disk, the boot disk provided in the main post, and a custom install USB drive created using the MyHack tool and the /Extra kexts on the aforementioned boot disk. This combo allowed me to directly install 10.6.3 and then run the 10.6.4 Combo Update.

The main issues I'm running into now are:

1) Sleep / Shutdown doesn't work properly. I've tried using the SleepEnabler kext, which seems to bring a form of hibernation (where the computer won't go into deep sleep unless the power button is held down, but comes back to life after pressing power again to restart the computer). EvoReboot also doesn't seem to help.

2) The discrete Nvidia 310m graphics card; I am able to get QE/CI but if/when the screen saver or energy saving screen blanking kicks in, the machine will not resume without a forced reboot. Anyone have any success dealing with this issue? For now, I've turned off screen savers and energy saving, but this doesn't seem like a great long term solution.

3) Random KPs on boot.

I think the real long term success of the e6410 as a viable hackintosh are predicated on developing a working DSDT; has anyone made any progress on this front?

Has anyone successfully updated to 10.6.4? If so, can you provide a detailed set of instructions? I can get 10.6 installed and running, but any attempt to update to 10.6.4 leads to KP and a necessary reinstall. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
2) The discrete Nvidia 310m graphics card; I am able to get QE/CI but if/when the screen saver or energy saving screen blanking kicks in, the machine will not resume without a forced reboot. Anyone have any success dealing with this issue? For now, I've turned off screen savers and energy saving, but this doesn't seem like a great long term solution.

Hi, indimatt,

Could you please share how you got the QE/CI work? Did you try it out with Frontrow?

Great guide, thanks, worked like a charm on my E6410 (with Backtrack instead of Ubuntu, but it doesn't matter).

BUT, since our laptops are UEFI-ready, I was wondering if there's a solution to build a pure GPT system. I don't really like the hybrid MBR/GPT solution. I spent the last three days struggling to find a EFI bootloader that would be able to boot Linux and MacOS X, since Windows 7 got his own bootloader inside the EFI partition, with no success. Here's what I did :

1) Booted from the E6410 iso, erased and partitionned the disk with diskutil, installed MacOS X. At this point, the disk is a hybrid MBR/GPT.

2) Booted from a Parted Magic Live USB, in order to launch GNU Parted. I reformated one of the FAT32 partition with parted, it destroyed the hybrid MBR in the process, remplaced it with a protective MBR. At this point, the disk is pure GPT.

3) Booted from the Windows 7 x64 CD, in UEFI Mode. It detects my disk as a GPT disk, so I have the leisure to install Windows.

4) Booted from the Backtrack DVD, installed it without any bootloader (for now). I'll probably install grub2 or elilo as soon as I figured out how they works ;)

Now, I can boot Windows 7 natively in UEFI mode, and Mac OS X with the E6410 iso, and my hard disk is pure GPT. I installed rEFIt inside the EFI partition, and added a rEFIt.efi entry inside the BIOS, but it doesn't boot. I'm still looking for a way to boot everyone from the hard disk. If you have any suggestions, they're more than welcome.