Asus P5LD2-VM woes...

13 posts in this topic

I was all stoked to get my system build tonight but soon after the build, I found that the machine didn't seem to be POST'ing. After troubleshooting everything...I finally decided to call ASUS. I had bought a 930-D Intel chip and had the thing ready to go but...no beeps. The dude at ASUS tells me to check the BIOS chip and after reading the alpha-numeric combo to him, I find out that my BIOS doesn't support the new chip! :(

I believe that from the (04) number that it was a 2 year old BIOS and that I need a (06) chip thats already been 'flashed' and current.

I have to overnight one now for $25 but let this be a "heads up" to anyone who might be looking into the same parts that I did (this board and dual-cores don't get along out of the box).

:blink:

Aye I was worried about this when I bought mine. There are two revisions of each of the 900 series pentium D's. Rev B which won't work in the Asus and Rev C which will. I got lucky with my 950 D...

With the latest BIOS though both revisions work fine.

I have to overnight one now for $25
For that price, I would usually keep a spare and cheap Celeron CPU around (Celeron D 325, 326 etc for example, which may cost less than $50 because the market is glutted with them) just to flash and test any socket 775 mobo.

For that price, I would usually keep a spare and cheap Celeron CPU around (Celeron D 325, 326 etc for example, which may cost less than $50 because the market is glutted with them) just to flash and test any socket 775 mobo.

That's a good idea...I might just have to do that. I'd rather get another compatible chip and flash it myself [+ have a backup] rather than sending it off to ASUS for them to do it.

Now my friggin power supply is all weird (or perhaps non-standard?)... :)

I get this Silverstone 500W from N****g.com and when I go to hook up 'juice' to the CPU, it's an 8-pin connector!?!?

The system STILL hasn't booted yet and now an 8-pin to 4-pin sleeved adapter will be here in 2-3 days. :):angry: i'm getting discouraged now...

I have this same cpu & mobo in which you speak of and I learned a few things about this motherboard...

If youre using a micro atx case like Aspire's X-Qpack make sure you replace that stock heatsink fan with something better and quieter unless you like your computer to sound like a plane taking off. I left mine unattended one weekend only to come back and find the onscreen visual frozen and once I tried to hit the reset button. The monitor wouldnt come on and after many hours of trouble shooting I found out that once I cleared the cmos and hooked everything up one at-a-time I still didnt get any beeps from the motherboard. Now I have a backup Asus p4p 800 vm mobo that pretty much acted the same way but since I had a agp card I was able to get to the bios and have it look for the onboard vga. So far what I found is I think either the onboard vga stopped working or the bios is looking for a pci graphics card or a pci express card to send the video thru and since I dont have either I cant tell if thats the reason why the onboard vga isnt working. So now I have to spend money to get ahold of pci/pci express to see if thats the real issue. I had it running with 2 gigs of ram and the accelerated graphics are much missed since I had to downgrade. Overall I'm looking into a better micro atx mobo since osx only will honor just one IDE connection it wont acknowledge the red connection :D. In fact even Xp wont recognize it and you would need to add the drivers via floppy during xp install just to be able to use it. Another option is to just get a pci IDE controller card to able to add on more hard drives. Other than that I'll let you know what develops.

• 2 weeks later...