[Guide] Sony VAIO VPCF115FM 10.6.3 installation, Chameleon on own partition, dual boot.

65 posts in this topic

Hello JLVaio,

I didn't delete your post(s), honestly. I saw that it was missing and I thought YOU deleted it. Perhaps there is some kind of InsanelyMac rule about cross posting, or maybe there is a bot that runs and looks for posts with many links in search of SPAMMERS, but it wasn't me. Sorry about that. In fact, I thought your info was so valuable that copied all your links and saved them locally! :P So if you would like or need, I could send them to you. I would like to post them again, but someone removed them for some reason.

I have an idea; why don't you create a new list (but remove the dead links), put them in a text edit file so all the links will be preserved, and then .ZIP the file and attach it with a name something like VALUABLE_SONY_VAIO_LINKS.ZIP. That would be great and I'm sure no one would remove it (unless there is conspiracy going on)!

Once again, sorry about that, but I know I didn't, and I doubt Kizwan would, have anything to do with that. I have had MANY posts deleted in my day, MANY, and it always really pisses me off! :)

Be well, and you are welcome at my thread!

Mammoth

Once again, thank you very much JLVaio for your valuable time and input. :D If this is all it will take to get networking... uh, working, that would be awesome!

I have a question about the "/remove firewire connection" part. Is that going to kill firewire? If not, what WILL it do?

@Midtown

I am working on the customized boot CD and Guide ALL DAY TODAY, so I don't have time to try this. If you do, and it works, could you please post the patched/working IONetworkingFamily.kext and I will add it to the top post and give JLVaio and you credit for your work!

Thank you both!

remove firewire is just for firewire connection on the systeme preference/reseau because i don t think you connected web with firewire i don t remind the good words because i'm using vista to reply and the fix it was what i did for 88E..55 i don t have the link for source information and taruga made it enabled don't know why after you have change the 2 lines in the plist don t have more times for post today sorry if the erase is an error but they mentioned snc sfep sonyfirmware extension driver and the fix for dsdt that i can 't apply to mine because i' m nood and don t understand coding or dsdt

regards

Hey Dark & Midtown,

I think I finally figured out all of my issues (BIOS settings & boot args). It's installing now using my boot CD. Question: How long does it take (actual time) once you get the blue bar and "Installing" banner? I want to find the combination that will give the fastest install times.

Also, do you get a "Failed" or "Success" message at the end of the install?

THANKS!

INSTALL GUIDE v1.0 coming tomorrow!

I dont remember how long it took, but I believe installing with all options selected took about 30 minutes. With my didsk I got an installation succeeded (green check mark).

Hey Mammoth!

I downloaded your BootCd. but.. it didn't work for me.

It restarts right after selecting de DVD. I tryed Cpus=8 and it busratio=12 was the same.

Anyway I'm using a Vaio VPCF1190x, it's really similar (i7 720 gt330m 500GB 6GB RAM)

Also i tryed booting the 10.6.2 retail DVD.

Anything special for booting?

Good luck!

Hi Guys,

Will it be possible to install SL and use the original installation files from VAIO to install win7 on the same hard drive??

Will it be explained on the guide?

Thank you very much!

Tomorrow i'll make my first tests!

Daniel

Hey Mammoth!

I downloaded your BootCd. but.. it didn't work for me.

It restarts right after selecting de DVD. I tryed Cpus=8 and it busratio=12 was the same.

Anyway I'm using a Vaio VPCF1190x, it's really similar (i7 720 gt330m 500GB 6GB RAM)

Also i tryed booting the 10.6.2 retail DVD.

Anything special for booting?

Good luck!

Are you able to try a 10.6.3 disc?

Mammoth

Are you able to try a 10.6.3 disc?

Mammoth

Nope.. I only have the 10.6.2.

Another thing, The BootCD was not able to boot my already installed OSX (10.6.3) Same error I think. (the empire efi cd does boot it perfectly)

It was hard to read (it apear just 0.1second) but I think the problem was when Loading Darwinx86.

Nope.. I only have the 10.6.2.

Another thing, The BootCD was not able to boot my already installed OSX (10.6.3) Same error I think. (the empire efi cd does boot it perfectly)

It was hard to read (it apear just 0.1second) but I think the problem was when Loading Darwinx86.

Ok, I'm going to look into this. It could be on your 10.6.3 that you have already installed the MacBook Pro 1.3 update and are on the 10.3.1 kernel. If you could confirm this, it would be helpful.

I think for P55(M) chipsets, we MUST use 10.6.3. I was able to force 10.6.0 on my first test by putting the laptop drive in my desktop Hack and installing straight to the drive, then was able to update it the same way, then put in the laptop. At that time, few, if any, boot CD's were working (another reason I set out to make my own). But now many of them have been patched with the new kernel.

If you are able to get a 10.6.3 .ISO (AGAIN, for anyone who cares, I BOUGHT my 10.6.0 Retail SL from Best Buy), but found the 10.6.3 .ISO... somewhere else... matey! :pirate2: Could you please try that and let me know.

If someone has a 10.6.2 R SL (is there one?), could you try that and let us know.

Thanks all,

Mammoth

INSTALLATION GUIDE POSTING

UPDATE 05-26-2010: PART I - PREPARATION (v1.00) of the 7 part Installation Guide has been posted! Get it from the file section below. This isn't enough to complete the installation, but it is all of the first steps. I am working frantically on completing PART II now, and want to get all 7 parts completed and posted ASAP. Please let me know what you think of Part I and if there are any mistakes or corrections that may need to be made. I will post the other parts ASAP, and hope to have at least II and III posted today.

Mammoth

Life. Who has time for it?

ANOTHER INSTALLATION GUIDE POSTING TODAY

UPDATE 05-26-2010: PART II - INSTALLING OS X (v1.00) of the 7 part Installation Guide has been posted! Get it from the file section. This still isn't enough to complete the installation, but once Part III is posted, you will be able to! :) I am now working on completing and posting PART III now.

Thank you all for your patience. It is taking longer than I expected to complete the guides, but this is because not only am I being very careful to insure accuracy, I am literally going through each step and performing an installation to make double sure everything is documented and works, thus greatly increasing your chances for an easy, successful installation.

Mammoth

Mammoth,

pt. 1&2 of the guide are looking really good. Seems that you've tried to keep the same lvl of orderly detailed explation as BlackOSX did with his guide. Keep up the good work, I know this kind of work demands much of you. Really appreciate it  ;)

I'm also thinking of buying VPCF115, and when i get it, i will definitely help testing with all of this because if this laptop runs osx 100% it wil be the next best hackintosh laptop. And thats a big step forward :) Even if we won't get osx to run fully operational i'll buy the vaio because next to the macbook its the most stylish laptop with high end specs hehe  :D

Also bigup for Kizwan if he reads this (probably :P ).

Mammoth,

pt. 1&2 of the guide are looking really good. Seems that you've tried to keep the same lvl of orderly detailed explation as BlackOSX did with his guide. Keep up the good work, I know this kind of work demands much of you. Really appreciate it  ;)

I'm also thinking of buying VPCF115, and when i get it, i will definitely help testing with all of this because if this laptop runs osx 100% it wil be the next best hackintosh laptop. And thats a big step forward ;) Even if we won't get osx to run fully operational i'll buy the vaio because next to the macbook its the most stylish laptop with high end specs hehe  ;)

Also bigup for Kizwan if he reads this (probably :P ).

Thanks very much CRVErik!

Yes, BlackOSX IS the Mac Man! His standards are of the highest quality and I realize imitation is the highest form of flattery, so I am pleased to imitate his fine work! ;)

I was shocked when I saw the specs for the VPCF115FM/B! Anad the price? Best Buy had it for like $1299.00 and no interest for 18 months! Crazy.

Part III of the guide is just about done, couldn't sleep last night so I was working on it from like 2 AM - 5 AM; back up and at it again. :P

UPDATE FOR 05-27-2010

UPATE 05-27-2010

I am working very hard on the very important Part III of the guide, the last piece we need in order to complete an initial install. I am finding, and killing lots of bugs as I go along and developing the cleanest, fastest, most direct install procedure possible.

Due to my approach, I have a few things to give you now while you are waiting for Part III to be finished and uploaded:

1) A new com.apple.Boot.plist is available! Depending on what is in your current one, this one could really improve your system performance, so get it and try it out.

2) I have created a brand new, very clean set of DSDT files, necessary for anyone who wants to try to create their own from scratch.

Both of these are available in the FILES area NOW.

3) While I am working to complete Part III of the Guide, I am developing the MUCH improved Mammoth Boot CD v1.10 at the same time. The new boot CD will be required in order to follow the guides, and as already mentioned, is MUCH improved. :thumbsup_anim:

I'm getting very close to having them both completed; they both will DEFINITELY be ready later today (baring any serious new issues that is).

Also, I realize the main page has become A MESS! I plan on cleaning it up soon, but first the guides need to be completed.

* UPDATE * MAY 28, 2010

GUIDE PART III DONE AND POSTED. MAMMOTH BOOT CD V1.20 DONE AND POSTED! Get them from the FILES section. You can now do a complete install using guides I - III!

Also, get the updated versions of both Guides I & II

PLEASE POST YOUR COMMENTS

THANKS (I NEED A WEEKEND)

MAMMOTH

hello, thanks for your guide

i had follow until step 6

however, after i erase the disk and install,

after 10 minute or longer,

it show installation failed

mac cant install on this computer...

100520103190.jpg

100520103191.jpg

i try to reinstall again and view the installer log with show error only

then i notice that the log show:

Install failed: The installer could not start up the computer from the disk "MAC". Try selecting your disk using the Startup disk utility.

100520103194.jpg

can i know what format need to install mac os? ( mac os extended or?)

my current hard disk got 4 partition

it's partition map scheme is master boot record

is this the problem make me installation failed?

can i install mac os on it without format the whole hard disk?

because my win 7 system still at partition 1

now i planning to boot back my win7,

but when i boot the hard disk

it show: Missing operating system

OMG... now my desktop is death zzz

help me please ><

thanks for ur guide alot!!!

i still got the same problem even i install to another empty hardisk

i using Mac OS X Snow Leopard_10a432_userdvd version

restore it to a external hard drive using VM Mac OS X 10.6.2

any 1 know what problem with this error?

This procedure is for 10.6.3 only, not 10.6.2 and has to be on a blank drive.

From the looks of your error messages and what you have said, it does not look like you followed the guide at all. Was this thread at the top of the list and you just blindly posted here? Not cool.

Your installation did not fail, it succeded you need only to boot it up and it'll work, the only issue is that the bless tool could not set the laptop to boot from the hard drive. its a common error, just use the boot cd and boot the snow leopard partition and you'll be fine

*UPDATE MAY 29, 2010 *

First of all, I'm sorry for all the constant version updates to the Guides and some other files, but when I find something wrong I feel very compelled to fix it. So with that said, all guides and the Mammoth Boot CD have just been rolled to versions 1.20. I HOPE I will not need to make any more changes (at least for a while) to any of these.

The good news is, all my talk about issues with the keyboard and TrackPad have been resolved, and now the CORRECT way! NO MORE Preboot.dmg file installed on our Cham drives!!! Just FORGET everything I said about all of that previously, in fact, in the v1.20, Part III guide, all references to that subject have been REMOVED as none of that is part of the installation procedure going forward with v1.20! (Yes, I'm happy too.)

I have wrote up procedures that will allow all of you to correct this on your current installations, so you don't have to reinstall or waste your time trying to figure out how to "undo it", I've done all that for you! Just go to the FILES section and download the fix instructions. You WILL need Mammoth Boot CD v1.20 to fix everything as the corrected files are there.

Mammoth

Hi, nice topic....very interesting :)

I need a laptop for VJ work.

Currently I use a i7 desktop hackintosh...(runs very stable)...lot of dragging with hardware...

Is a sony vaio i7 hackintosh a good and stable solution for my problem?

Or am I better off paying 1500 euro's more for a comparable macbook pro?

* UPDATE JUNE 2, 2010 *

Part IV of the Installation Guide will be posted tomorrow!

This is the guide that will show you how to get Windows 7 installed, and not just how to install Windows 7, most of us know how to do that, but how to take the factory image of Windows 7 from Sony and install THAT in our Hack system. We'll also setup our Repair installation of OS X, and I'll finally show you how to get networking setup using a firewire cable so you can transfer files and get on the Internet from your VAIO and be able to get updates from Apple.

So look for that being posted within the next 24 hours or so.

Mammoth

* UPDATE JUNE 3, 2010 *

In working to complete Guide Part IV, I discovered a critical step that was left out of Guide II which COULD make it so that Windows 7 wont install! Originally when I posted this update, I thought everyone would experience this. Then I did some more testing and could not repeat the issue. So I apologize if this has happened to you, but it looks like chances are, it has not. : )

If you try to install Windows 7 using Windows 7 installation media such as DVD and it keeps saying that it cannot install because the partition type is GPT, this is the issue I am talking about.

At any rate, please download the updated / corrected version of Guide Part II (v1.25) from the FILES section as the added steps should help prevent this from happening to you.

(Part IV is almost done, so hold on for that too! The issue discussed above prevented me from completing Part IV sooner.)

* UPDATE JUNE 3, 2010 *

Part IV of the Installation Guide has FINALLY been posted!

This is the guide that shows you how to get Windows 7 installed, and not just how to install Windows 7, most of us know how to do that, but how to take the factory image of Windows 7 from Sony and install THAT so you don't have to waste HOURS and days trying to get a fully working version of Windows 7 on a LAPTOP.

We'll also setup our Repair installation of OS X, and I finally show you how to get networking using a firewire cable connected to another Mac / Hack system, so you can transfer files and get on the Internet from your VAIO PLUS be able to get updates from Apple.

This is the biggest guide, packed with the most information and tips, so get it now from the FILES section of the first post.

PLEASE post your comments at some point.

Thanks,

Mammoth

• 2 weeks later...

@MacMan50

Hey Mac Man 50,

So today my DV8T arrived in Alaska, so it's slowly making its way to me. Looks like it's still on target for a June 15th arrival. I've already started to gear up for starting the new thread and laying some groundwork for DV8T installation.

So hang tight and we'll get this thing going!

Mammoth