First batch of Leopard rumors

Swad

31 posts in this topic

... my bet would be that Apple will use one Woodcrest (witch is double core also but is for servers) or two Woodcrests (4 cores)

As far as Woodcrest goes, the top of the line certainly will be a dual Woodcrest box. While Apple very well may maintain a single chip "pro" machine with the Mac Pros, it seems kind of stupid in the face of Woodcrest economics. Unlike the G5, Woodcrests get radically cheaper with decreasing clockspeed, this means to me that the entry Mac Pro should still be a dual Woodcrest machine, not a single.

This assertation plus the facts that Woodcrests chipsets are much more expensive and require FB-DIMMs, plus a variety of other factors, indicate to me that Apple needs to move the Mac Pro line upscale and introduce a new Conroe based mid-tower for consumers (who really have no need for quad-core machines).

Two things, I wonder if we will be able to run Lepord as well, this should translate to better hardware support once the towers come out.

If OSX can get the .exe to work (can't recall the link but there is progress), Windoze is in trouble. This program that I speak of runs .exe native, no virtual, re-booting, emulation or anything, it just runs.

Since Apple depreciated support for the older LAPIC timer in it's newer kernels, it looks like Leopard might only run on the few machines that support HPET. I doubt with att the new OS changes Leopard will run straight out of the box with an older darwin kernel, not to mention it probably won't see any of the new speed boosts. Not to say it won't ever work on older hardware, but this looks to be a major hurdle to getting 10.5 running on a hackintosh. For those who can run the Leopard kernel, general hardware compatability should be improved with the new towers, and perhaps the new kext's will be backwards compatable.

the site you wanted is www.alkyproject.com, a group working on an emulation free binary conversion tool.

• 4 weeks later...