CPU Heating between 104 and 117 Celsius

7 posts in this topic

alright my core 2 quad runs t 117 degrees Celsius...

everything had been working fine until i moved. plugged everything in and now it just randomly turns itself off. sometimes at boot screen and sometimes after it logs into osx.

thats when i decided to first clean the dust and still problems.

well after that i finally checked the temp and saw it was at 117 and felt it was high. of course i googled it to see what was high and apparently anything over 71 was a bad sign.

my question is should i get liquid cooling? i don't think i need it but i want to cool this thing down.

hopefully i don't need a new processor, if i do is there a way to tell?

anyways mostly wanted opinions on cooling suggestions.

alright my core 2 quad runs t 117 degrees Celsius...

everything had been working fine until i moved. plugged everything in and now it just randomly turns itself off. sometimes at boot screen and sometimes after it logs into osx.

thats when i decided to first clean the dust and still problems.

well after that i finally checked the temp and saw it was at 117 and felt it was high. of course i googled it to see what was high and apparently anything over 71 was a bad sign.

my question is should i get liquid cooling? i don't think i need it but i want to cool this thing down.

hopefully i don't need a new processor, if i do is there a way to tell?

anyways mostly wanted opinions on cooling suggestions.

what are u doing with your cpu? did u do some overclocks? changed something in the bios? what are your specs? what version u're into? probably fan device left over. is it a notebook? No (u speak about watercooling!) go verify your fans, and look if u can get one better. till then go windows or you'll break it.

alright i havent turned it on since.

no over clocking, default bios settings im running 10.5.8

im starting to think its the thermal paste. I am just going to get a new cpu fan/heatsink that way once i do get it cooled I can overclock it. I run this computer 24/7 for 16 months straight.

i'll get my specs but i am pretty sure the other {censored} doesnt matter. as it has ran fine for months. if anyone has any heatsink suggestions pass them on over.

alright i havent turned it on since.

no over clocking, default bios settings im running 10.5.8

im starting to think its the thermal paste. I am just going to get a new cpu fan/heatsink that way once i do get it cooled I can overclock it. I run this computer 24/7 for 16 months straight.

i'll get my specs but i am pretty sure the other {censored} doesnt matter. as it has ran fine for months. if anyone has any heatsink suggestions pass them on over.

Simply Refer to my signature.

ASUS ARCTIC SQUARE with AcrticSilver paste. Worth every nickel/penny/dime/shilling/ whatever is your currency and the proverb. :ninja:

I've massive overclocked it, right? (See Sign) Yet it runs cool, in the region where I'm located. Sigh! :robot:

Anyways, it's a mechanical problem. Coz even with load I've yet to see above 94 Degrees Celsius.

Coz Since DeadMOo's Tiger and Leopard, I've not seen any such figures even with insane load on the CPU.

That kind of Temperature was reported as I had one of the prized Intel Engineering samples with me.

A (Socket 478) -> Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.2GHz with 4MB cache. with everything unlocked! And no Serial no.

Go Figure!

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :pirate2:

similar thing happened to me.

i tipped over my midi tower case by accident and it fell down one stair (i have a weird room). the computer was turned off when i kicked it (by accident i repeat - i do not hurt my components in anger outbursts.)

i opened the case, checked the cables and connections and it all looked fine so i powered it up and went into bios to check SMART report. everything look fine BUT the CPU temperature - it was around 80 Celsius (usually around 40-45 in BIOS).

it turned out one of four little thingies that connect the heatsink to the motherboard released itself and left the CPU with no cooling.

maybe the same thing happened when you moved your computer.

similar thing happened to me.

i tipped over my midi tower case by accident and it fell down one stair (i have a weird room). the computer was turned off when i kicked it (by accident i repeat - i do not hurt my components in anger outbursts.)

i opened the case, checked the cables and connections and it all looked fine so i powered it up and went into bios to check SMART report. everything look fine BUT the CPU temperature - it was around 80 Celsius (usually around 40-45 in BIOS).

it turned out one of four little thingies that connect the heatsink to the motherboard released itself and left the CPU with no cooling.

maybe the same thing happened when you moved your computer.

Actually, I agree to zarac's suggestion.

Your heatsink fitted onto the motherboard could have come loose.

That was the case with one of my friend's CPU.

One of the four notches had broken and the heatsink would not fit or stay tightly on the processor.

These newer damn stupid heatsinks from Intel are royal pain and totally suck!

Try removing, cleaning,after re-applying a good paste, fixing it back on the CPU.

Report if it fixed the problem or not.

If it didn't, then try cleaning the Heatsink as thoroughly as possible. Probably, all the fine dust must be blocking air flow or restricting the movement of the fan on the heat sink.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ^_^