Attempting to run Snow Leopard under ESXi 4.1

126 posts in this topic

i am getting the no entry sign on the apple mac logo (esxi 4.1)

i have sas drives in my poweredge 2900 server

anyone know how to get them working ?

-----------------

I'm having a similar problem. I've listed my configuration info below:

vSphere Client Version 4.1.0 Build 258902

VMware ESXi Version 4.1.0 Build 260247

Dell PowerEdge 2950

Processor, 80556K, Xeon Dual Processor Wolfdale, X5260 FC-LGA6

8GB of memory

Hard Drive, 146G, Serial Attached SCSI, Seagate, 15K

I've installed vmware-darwin310-macosx1064, per the instructions. I've tried setting up my virtual machine with both SCSI and IDE hard drives. I've tried usually the following boot options:

-legacy

-v -x

-legacy -v -x

I was hoping to strike upon some combination that might work, but still no luck. When I just use the "-legacy" boot option, I get the gray Apple screen and it just hangs there. When I use the "-v -x" boot options, it hangs with the "Still waiting for root device" message repeating.

I've seen references in the forum to changing the "cpuid mask" for Xeon processors, but I have no idea what parameters to change nor what value to change them to.

I've attached the vmx file for review.

I appreciate any helpful comments. Let me also add my thanks to all the contributors to this project. Your efforts are appreciated.

SnowLeopard_vmx.txt

• 2 weeks later...
can someone upload vmware-darwin310-macosx1064.zip to a server different from filedropper it's keep ending my download in the middle of the download.

and is there a step by step guide?

thanks.

Please find an alternative link to Donk's darwin iso below:

http://rapidshare.com/files/419951154/vmwa...-macosx1064.zip

In terms of a guide, we are in the middle of doing a new guide, so in the interim you need to use Donk's original, plus the additional load commands if you are using ESXi 4.1, links below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1186508

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1495893

Thanks Got it up and running (some issuse with keyboard while using vnc) is there a vmtools?

nitsi

Glad to here you have made some progress, and yes you can install VMware Tools but you need to mount Donk's darwin iso image in to your OS X and it will give you the option to install the VMware Tools, also it has a Drivers directory with Zenith432's enhanced VMsvga2 graphics drivers as well as audio, guestd patch (allows auto screen resizing) probably not relevant in ESXi as well as an uninstall script. Alternatively all Zenith432's drivers are available at the following site:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

I have posted the latest darwin iso (311) at the following site but it can only be used to install the latest VMware Tools (it is not a replacement for Donk's to allow OS X to boot under ESXi 4.1):

http://rapidshare.com/files/419946403/darwin311.iso

Finally keyboard and mouse are often a problem in ESXi but generally only when using the vSphere Client console, and VNC or equivalent products like Vine or RealVNC tend to work better. Please find below a link regarding some possible kext alternatives for mouse and keyboard:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1129556

• 7 months later...

is there a checksum that can be used to verify the 10.6 server iso has been correctly created ?

i've tried reading through the forums but at more than 100+ pages now it's not really possible to read it all to try to figure this out :-(

i've created three separate iso images which all turned out to have different sizes and checksums - from the same ISO!

7196127232 12 Jun 15:29 macosx106-1.iso

7196164096 12 Jun 16:41 macosx106-2.iso

7196180480 12 Jun 17:58 macosx106-3.iso

the first was created using diskutil pointing at the partition

the second was created using diskutil pointing at the whole disk

the third was created using dd (dd if=/dev/disk2 of=foo.iso bs=1048576)

MD5 (macosx106-1.iso) = ee75ba451fa5edc7ffee103515daf168

MD5 (macosx106-2.iso) = 91bceaecd928a927e369ac55e9bf303e

MD5 (macosx106-3.iso) = 00f45623a788089a752f69447953e177

regards,

-jason

is there a checksum that can be used to verify the 10.6 server iso has been correctly created ?

i've tried reading through the forums but at more than 100+ pages now it's not really possible to read it all to try to figure this out :-(

i've created three separate iso images which all turned out to have different sizes and checksums - from the same ISO!

7196127232 12 Jun 15:29 macosx106-1.iso

7196164096 12 Jun 16:41 macosx106-2.iso

7196180480 12 Jun 17:58 macosx106-3.iso

the first was created using diskutil pointing at the partition

the second was created using diskutil pointing at the whole disk

the third was created using dd (dd if=/dev/disk2 of=foo.iso bs=1048576)

MD5 (macosx106-1.iso) = ee75ba451fa5edc7ffee103515daf168

MD5 (macosx106-2.iso) = 91bceaecd928a927e369ac55e9bf303e

MD5 (macosx106-3.iso) = 00f45623a788089a752f69447953e177

regards,

-jason

What are you trying to do by creating own images? You should be able to install off "original" media.

What are you trying to do by creating own images? You should be able to install off "original" media.

I have original media but no physical optical drive in my esxi box.

so i need to create an image off the media to connect to the virtual cd drive.

cheers,

-jason

I have original media but no physical optical drive in my esxi box.

so i need to create an image off the media to connect to the virtual cd drive.

cheers,

-jason

I wont be near a machine to pull checksums for you. If you have a legit copy it should be fine to pull a backup copy from the internets ;) If you are not sure where to look DM me & I'll help you out. Also try searching for the application you are using on Google.. there might be setting for you to try. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I´am currently running an ESXi 4.1.0 381591 but my Mac OS X 10.6.3 doesn´t start anymore.

The vSphere client tells me that my guest OS "darwin64guest" is not supported. It seems like the darwin.iso is not installed, but it is.

In the past, after an ESXi update I have run the "./setup.sh --install" again and I could start Mac OS X fine. But now it seems to be broken.

Was there a significant change in one of the last updates so that can not run Mac OS X again?

Hello,

I´am currently running an ESXi 4.1.0 381591 but my Mac OS X 10.6.3 doesn´t start anymore.

The vSphere client tells me that my guest OS "darwin64guest" is not supported. It seems like the darwin.iso is not installed, but it is.

In the past, after an ESXi update I have run the "./setup.sh --install" again and I could start Mac OS X fine. But now it seems to be broken.

Was there a significant change in one of the last updates so that can not run Mac OS X again?

Try changing the vmx entry from "darwin64guest" to "darwin64"

Try changing the vmx entry from "darwin64guest" to "darwin64"

It is actually "guestOS = "darwin-64"" and this worked fine for a long time. I don´t know why the client calls it "darwin64guest". It doesn´t change anything I set it to "guestOS = "darwin64""(without -).

It is actually "guestOS = "darwin-64"" and this worked fine for a long time. I don´t know why the client calls it "darwin64guest". It doesn´t change anything I set it to "guestOS = "darwin64""(without -).

sorry to hear it didnt work. I havent updated in while...

Need to start via ESXi directly not via vSphere server.

How can I start it via ESXi directly?

Edit: Ok, now I know what you mean. Connecting to the ESXi directly, not via vCenter Server. Great, it works! :D

Thank you very much for that hint!!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for a (possibly) silly question.

What is the correct procedure to install/run Server 10.6 on ESX vSphere 4.1.0 build 348481

So far I can boot with Darwin(310).iso, swap the disk, but no matter what I do, it always crash reboots

64-bit support is enabled (Dell PowerEdge 2950 with Xeon 5440 processors)

Seb

Sorry for a (possibly) silly question.

What is the correct procedure to install/run Server 10.6 on ESX vSphere 4.1.0 build 348481

So far I can boot with Darwin(310).iso, swap the disk, but no matter what I do, it always crash reboots

64-bit support is enabled (Dell PowerEdge 2950 with Xeon 5440 processors)

Seb

Need to install darwin ISO

Install it?

I do boot off it, change media, press F5, chose legacy kernel, boot starts & reboots

Am I missing something else?

Are there any special settings vmx settings for OS X?

sebus

• 1 month later...

So yesterday I upgraded my main ESXi server to i7-2600K and now my OSX server installation does not book using Donks latest 10.6.4 package.

I think I saw before that there are issues with i7 and OSX, does any one know how I can fix this ?

EDIT: Ok again searching is the Key :)

Added the following line o my vmx file

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

And was able to boot. Still testing, but I got the desktop to come up