Attempting to run Snow Leopard under ESXi 4.1

126 posts in this topic

OK so -force64 works, seems a bit slower to me overall, but not too bad. Profiler says that its not a 64 bit kernel, but all the apps are running in 64 bit and iTunes starts fine in 32 bit. So seems that we are good, overall I`m fine with speed.

Oops I forgot it was a 32-bit only kernel. Would work in vanilla! I need to get together an environment to re-build the kernel.

Otherwise this really sounds promsing.

Oops I forgot it was a 32-bit only kernel. Would work in vanilla! I need to get together an environment to re-build the kernel.

Otherwise this really sounds promsing.

Well it works, and 64 bit programs seem to run fine ..... it does say that its not a 64 bit kernel loaded, but in activity monitor 64 bit programs start fine and are running as intel-64.

This is really promising and I think you did it again !

It isn't in Extra, said it was from memory! SO:

1. At boot prompt press F8 to get boot command line

2. Type: rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel -v

3. Press enter and should boot up using the legacy 10.6.3 kernel from this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214528.

Can you try an install from a SL retail DVD using this please? (Sorry can't as have no access to my ESXi box at the moment). You will have to enter the command line above at every boot unless you add the following lines to a com.apple.Boot.plist in a folder on the root hard drive called /Extra (as per Chameleon).

I appreciate the help but can you try without using Zenith's work this time, as he has left the scene and we want to get our own version not dependent on him.

Donk,

Not sure yet where I am going wrong, installed the new darwin.iso fine under ESXi 4u1, created FreeBSD-64 guestOS, fired up then amended the VMX file, but just get to the boot: prompt similar to your second screenshot but without the white HD option. I am trying to go for a vanilla install as requested, any pointers, and / or what additional info will help diagnose the problem or more likely my error!

P.S. How was the party, plenty of Jelly I hope!

Donk,

Not sure yet where I am going wrong, installed the new darwin.iso fine under ESXi 4u1, created FreeBSD-64 guestOS, fired up then amended the VMX file, but just get to the boot: prompt similar to your second screenshot but without the white HD option. I am trying to go for a vanilla install as requested, any pointers, and / or what additional info will help diagnose the problem or more likel my error!

I am currently trying to get a working system here, and much of what I said was from memory and screenshots were from Workstation as that is all I had. To diagnose can you attach vmx and log file from the datastore please? It is likely to be at least another 24 hours before I have a test environment.

(Plenty of jelly, excited kids and noise. Luckily I came home to my teenage son who decided to be nice that particular day!!)

Donk,

Not sure yet where I am going wrong, installed the new darwin.iso fine under ESXi 4u1, created FreeBSD-64 guestOS, fired up then amended the VMX file, but just get to the boot: prompt similar to your second screenshot but without the white HD option. I am trying to go for a vanilla install as requested, any pointers, and / or what additional info will help diagnose the problem or more likel my error!

Add the CD press F10, also I`m adding second CDROM to IDE0:0, but inserting DVD/ISO to the first 1 and then press F10 on the boot: prompt

I am currently trying to get a working system here, and much of what I said was from memory and screenshots were from Workstation as that is all I had. To diagnose can you attach vmx and log file from the datastore please? It is likely to be at least another 24 hours before I have a test environment.

(Plenty of jelly, excited kids and noise. Luckily I came home to my teenage son who decided to be nice that particular day!!)

I am sure that was an unexpected bonus, a teenager being nice! glad the party went well.

I will have a tinker tonight and get the log files and an updated VMX file, the initial VMX is attached.

Add the CD press F10, also I`m adding second CDROM to IDE0:0, but inserting DVD/ISO to the first 1 and then press F10 on the boot: prompt

yozh, thanks for the heads up, I will give it a go and report back later today.

OS_X_Snow_Leopard.txt

I am sure that was an unexpected bonus, a teenager being nice! glad the party went well.

I will have a tinker tonight and get the log files and an updated VMX file, the initial VMX is attached.

yozh, thanks for the heads up, I will give it a go and report back later today.

Donk, I managed to get to a point where I could see the DVD, and get some form of boot, but stops part way through, vmx and log files attached.

yozh, did you mean F5, as that appears to show me the DVD in the OS X boot window once mounted under ESXi?

OS_X_Snow_Leopard_vmx.txt

vmwarelog.txt

Donk, I managed to get to a point where I could see the DVD, and get some form of boot, but stops part way through, vmx and log files attached.

yozh, did you mean F5, as that appears to show me the DVD in the OS X boot window once mounted under ESXi?

F5 woulf freeze on me only f10 worked

Yep confirm that but don't know why. Use F10 instead for now. Also do NOT use SCSI virtual hard disks, use IDE and works way more reliably and no KPs which is what I got with SCSI.

Yep confirm that but don't know why. Use F10 instead for now. Also do NOT use SCSI virtual hard disks, use IDE and works way more reliably and no KPs which is what I got with SCSI.

Donk, to confirm this is in contrast with Workstation where SCSI HD's seem to work better, well for me anyway. Will give the IDE route a try, speak soon, MSoK.

Donk, to confirm this is in contrast with Workstation where SCSI HD's seem to work better, well for me anyway. Will give the IDE route a try, speak soon, MSoK.

Actually I use IDE everywhere for this. There used to be a performance problem early on but was fixed sometime ago. It may be possible to use a vanilla kernel, but may need DSDT hacking which is new to me.

Actually I use IDE everywhere for this. There used to be a performance problem early on but was fixed sometime ago. It may be possible to use a vanilla kernel, but may need DSDT hacking which is new to me.

I guess having had an issue with IDE, and finding a solution in SCSI, have stuck with the SCSI route since, but will switch back to IDE. Did you get chance to have a look through my log file, did anything standout, or is a DSDT hack the way forward for a Vanilla kernel, not my bag either, but new is always interesting if sometimes frustrating!

I guess having had an issue with IDE, and finding a solution in SCSI, have stuck with the SCSI route since, but will switch back to IDE. Did you get chance to have a look through my log file, did anything standout, or is a DSDT hack the way forward for a Vanilla kernel, not my bag either, but new is always interesting if sometimes frustrating!

The log seems to be failure to read the ISO. I copied mine to the host datastore and made sure connected at boot. Otherwise maybe a problem converting to ISO?

The log seems to be failure to read the ISO. I copied mine to the host datastore and made sure connected at boot. Otherwise maybe a problem converting to ISO?

Donk, Thanks for the prompt response, I have used the ISO many times before in Workstation, I also copied the ISO to the host datastore before mounting, a fairly standard procedure under ESX(i). I will check to make sure it is connected at boot, and change to an IDE virtual HD, since I have the original "Retail" DVD I will try that as well.

Donk, Thanks for the prompt response, I have used the ISO many times before in Workstation, I also copied the ISO to the host datastore before mounting, a fairly standard procedure under ESX(i). I will check to make sure it is connected at boot, and change to an IDE virtual HD, since I have the original "Retail" DVD I will try that as well.

Guys have you tried adding a second CDROM to IDE0:0 as I suggested ?

Guys have you tried adding a second CDROM to IDE0:0 as I suggested ?

Nope. I guess it may fix the IDE KP, but want to get to a point where setting up is simple for users. At the moment bigger issue when rebooting and CPU occasionally halts.

is a DSDT hack the way forward for a Vanilla kernel, not my bag either, but new is always interesting if sometimes frustrating!

OK only fixable by hacking the kernel in lapic.c. I have a working xnu kernel compilation environment now, and am going to see if introducing just the change from panic to printf is enough for ESXi.

OK only fixable by hacking the kernel in lapic.c. I have a working xnu kernel compilation environment now, and am going to see if introducing just the change from panic to printf is enough for ESXi.

Donk, let me know when I can be of assistance, I am a great Guinea Pig! The hacking stuff definately not my area of expertise, Cheers, MSoK.

Donk, let me know when I can be of assistance, I am a great Guinea Pig! The hacking stuff definately not my area of expertise, Cheers, MSoK.

Same here. I've been following this thread with great interest and have a clean ESXi installation on an IBM X3650 server just waiting to go. Let me know how I can help too!

Same here. I've been following this thread with great interest and have a clean ESXi installation on an IBM X3650 server just waiting to go. Let me know how I can help too!

For all those wanting to help, I hope to have something new to try sometime this week, work permitting. Meklort has recently checked in some code to the Chameleon svn repository which does patching of the kernel in memory during the boot. I need to add this to my code changes and then add a new patch for the lapic KP. I have already done manual patches to the vanilla kernel and seems to work, so next step is to write an in-memory patch.

Then we should be able to run vanilla kernels with ESXi. Well that is the plan, the next few days will tell whether I can get this working.

For all those wanting to help, I hope to have something new to try sometime this week, work permitting. Meklort has recently checked in some code to the Chameleon svn repository which does patching of the kernel in memory during the boot. I need to add this to my code changes and then add a new patch for the lapic KP. I have already done manual patches to the vanilla kernel and seems to work, so next step is to write an in-memory patch.

Then we should be able to run vanilla kernels with ESXi. Well that is the plan, the next few days will tell whether I can get this working.

Donk, Thanks for the update, sorry to dump all this work on you, drop me a PM or eMail if you need me to test anything, cheers, MSoK!

Hello gurus,

I really need a tutorial, I have tried pretty much everything but I feel I lack the basics.

This is my setup:

- IBM System x3550

- Intel E5420 CPU

- ESXi 4.0 U1 with IBM Customization (build 208167)

I have a retail iso I got from a friend, supposedly a OSX Server 10.6.2

I have tried a few preloaders but none worked, maybe I am just getting it wrong but I keep running into APIC or other panics :-(

Please help!

Hello gurus,

I really need a tutorial, I have tried pretty much everything but I feel I lack the basics.

This is my setup:

- IBM System x3550

- Intel E5420 CPU

- ESXi 4.0 U1 with IBM Customization (build 208167)

I have a retail iso I got from a friend, supposedly a OSX Server 10.6.2

I have tried a few preloaders but none worked, maybe I am just getting it wrong but I keep running into APIC or other panics :-(

Please help!

I am working on a solution but not quite ready.

I am working on a solution but not quite ready.

Donk, I have started preparing some documentation for a tutorial once you are ready, not as much help as I would like to give, but better than nothing, LoL, MSoK!