10.6.3 woes :(

jgv115

5 posts in this topic

First of all these are my specs:

CPU: Core i5 750

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P

GPU: Gigabyte ATI HD4850

I've been using 10.6.2 for around 1 month before the 10.6.3 release.

Now that it is released I want to upgrade to it.

I downloaded the installer and installed it over my 10.6.2 installation. When I rebooted, I got a black screen. I then tried to boot with -x, also black screen. I had no choice but to reinstall.

For a brief moment reinstallation would result in black screen as well. I had to get my nvidia card to install then switch back to my HD4850. But anyway,

Now I have a video issue, I can install SL (10.6) and run it but as soon as I download 10.6.3 and install it BAM black screen and I can't do anything!

I'm using Tony's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (also from Tony).

I also did a bit of searching (on this forums and on google) and found out that people have used the EVOenabler.kext and adding 0x94421002 to ATI4800Controller.kext in S/L/E. The problem with this is that I can't even get into OSX to edit the files! How am I supposed to do it?

Can someone help me solve the black screen issue :(

All answers are appreciated!

P.S My 4850 is the dual DVI version with the zalman fan.

I can't help with your problem, but (and I know it doesn't help your position!) I cannot emphasise strongly enough the need to have a 'backup plan' exactly for this sort of occasion.

I have a Leo and a Snow install to protect against these kind of problems. If one has an issue with updates then I can boot into the other to fix it.

Sorry I can't help to resolve your black screen, but I'm sure someone else will soon.

I downloaded the installer and installed it over my 10.6.2 installation. When I rebooted, I got a black screen. I then tried to boot with -x, also black screen. I had no choice but to reinstall.

For a brief moment reinstallation would result in black screen as well. I had to get my nvidia card to install then switch back to my HD4850. But anyway,

Now I have a video issue, I can install SL (10.6) and run it but as soon as I download 10.6.3 and install it BAM black screen and I can't do anything!

I'm using Tony's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (also from Tony).

I also did a bit of searching (on this forums and on google) and found out that people have used the EVOenabler.kext and adding 0x94421002 to ATI4800Controller.kext in S/L/E. The problem with this is that I can't even get into OSX to edit the files! How am I supposed to do it?

Can someone help me solve the black screen issue :(

I was warned about using ATI video cards in a hack system. I built a Gigabyte EX58-Ud5 Intel i7 920 system with an Nvidia 9800GTX+ video card and hacked around for several months to finally find Kakewalk 2.1. I built a Flash drive with Snow 10.6 and the Kakewalk bootloader, etc and installed that Flash into a USB port on my PC and set the BIOS to load first from the USB drive. I let it go and when it finally restarted, all I need to do is remove the Flash drive and set the first boot back the loaded disk drive. pretty slick and simple. I then used the 10.6.3 Combo updater and every thing still works as planned.

Can someone help me solve the black screen issue ;)

Solution Click here

If you have a Windows system us Transmac to adjust your Snow Leopard by adding -v -x to your com.apple.boot.plist setup so you can atleast boot into your system. Edit: yes you can also safe boot while typing in -x at the Chameleon boot

Also you can use your DVI to VGA dongle one is reported to work and i can confirm this so try that first. Reboot untill you tried both DVI's with the VGA dongle. I did not have to boot in safe mode. Once in follow the thread and cross your fingers. Your replacing your kext and i included the working 10.6.2 so just install. Its worth a try.

I can post step by step if your stuck so get back to this thread if your lost.