Freezing/Indefinite Hanging Of Applications

8 posts in this topic

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, and a Gigabyte mobo.

I installed 10.6.2 vanilla, and everything worked fine. However, after upgrading to 10.6.3, I have applications frezing within minutes of using the OS, with one app hanging at a time, wit the dock and menubar being unresponsive too.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or know of a solution? Thanks!

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, and a Gigabyte mobo.

I installed 10.6.2 vanilla, and everything worked fine. However, after upgrading to 10.6.3, I have applications frezing within minutes of using the OS, with one app hanging at a time, wit the dock and menubar being unresponsive too.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or know of a solution? Thanks!

Yes, same problem here on sys in sig. Safari crashes 5-10 times unexpectedly and especially Diablo2 just freezes without a mean. Besides that it broke dvi/hdmi support ... think i´ll revert to 10.6.2 which was fully functional.

Well, the CMOS reset got me to be able to boot from the DVD and install OSX again. Thanks!

Now, however, I seem to be having an issue with EFI strings that I wasn't having before.. I'm only getting one resolution in the System Preferences> Display, and my second monitor isn't being recognised. Any idea?

EDIT

This is interesting, and I'm sure is causing the problem... According to the System Profiler, my graphics card is recognised as an ATI Radeon HD 4890 - which it isn't, it's an Nvidia GeForce  9800GT. Let me mess around with the EFI strings some more...

EDIT 2

Okay, whatever. I couldn't get anywhere with the EFI strings. I installed NVinject and now resolution and dual monitors work correctly, but QuartzExtreme isn't enabled. What should I do about this?

EDIT 3

Just in case anybody else runs into this, I figured i'd update it again. After REMOVING NVinject, without changing anything else, the EFI strings magically worked (as in, they were there, I installed NVinject, leaving them there, and then removed NVinject). Go figure.