Anyone know of a PCI SATA Card that's supported?

65 posts in this topic

Thank you for that information, however, my problem at the moment is that I can't even start to boot from even an IDE drive when I have the SATA card in. Basically, when the new SATA card is in, it controls my system and won't let it boot.

I have a IDE drive with OSX on it and even it won't boot when the SATA card is in. On the card box, it claims to live well with onboard ATA, but I don't see that happening.

Any ideas why?

Thank you for that information, however, my problem at the moment is that I can't even start to boot from even an IDE drive when I have the SATA card in. Basically, when the new SATA card is in, it controls my system and won't let it boot.

I have a IDE drive with OSX on it and even it won't boot when the SATA card is in. On the card box, it claims to live well with onboard ATA, but I don't see that happening.

Any ideas why?

You need setup boot order in BIOS. Restart computer, on first screen hit DEL or F2 to enter BIOS and set first booot device to HDD connected to motheboard. If you need BIOS guide go http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demon...Guide_Index.htm or http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bios+guide .

Thanks pal, but I know how to navigate BIOS. With the PCI SATA card that OSX is supposed to recognize, the drive doesn't show up anywhere in the BIOS. There's nothing about SATA in my BIOS anywhere. The card is an add-on PCI. It doesn't integrate with my BIOS.

I can, however, enter the PCI card's BIOS, but there's nothing in there other than "Create RAID Array" and such. I don't need a RAID. I just need my SATA drive to be recognized in OSX. For some reason, it hangs when it tries to boot. It acts like there are no drives or something. I get a blinking cursor.

Your problem is that your SATA card is set to RAID and not SATA mode. Try going into the configuration of the card (read the manual that came with the card) and see if there is SATA mode instead of RAID. Good luck.

Upon reading the manual and looking, I see no SATA or RAID mode. I just need to get into OSX (even if booting to an IDE drive) with this card in so I can try the patches mentioned in previous posts.

Thx

I myself purchased the non-RAID version of that card. After trying it out and realizing that I can't boot a drive off of it, I did some research on it. Unfortunately, these cards are not bootable. What I am trying to do is see if my OS X install on an IDE drive can recognize the card and do an rd=disk1s1 thing to force it to load off the card.

I guess that's why these things are so cheap.

I grabbed the IDE/SATA dongle that Black Knight linked and it works fine with my SATA II drive. Having unrelated problems booting natively though, seems to lock after some messages about forcedeth.

Edit: Maybe not, disabled LAN in bios and now it locks just before at Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleOnboardPCATA" has no kernel dependency. :(

After your edit, I don't understand what you're saying... Does it work or doesn't it????

@ Blacknight: Any updates?

I stopped at my local Fry's Electronics and they didn't have any cards that were SiliconImage. Anyone want to right I driver??? I'll pledge my $20 now :)

In the mean, let's all keep trying. We're bound to find a solution soon enough..

Thanks.

PS: Do you mean you bought http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-IDE-MB-to-SATA-Har...1QQcmdZViewItem and it works ok, just no boot?

Silicon Image is not supported at all right now (as far as I know). As for the Non-RAID card I bought, I have not gotten it to work at all. I checked the reviews on Newegg.com and found out that it is not bootable at all. It is designed to add 2 SATA and 1 IDE port to your current ports.

Please confirm for sure that you're using a SATA drive on an IDE channel. I don't want to buy this and have it fry my drive. I'm worried that it says " Converts Parallel ATA to Serial ATA ," because that's opposite of my situation.

Just lemme know for sure.

Thx.

The device listed is for using a SATA drive on an IDE channel. The one that is made by the same people but looks different is for using a PATA drive on a SATA channel. Neither will fry your drive if you hook it up, it just won't work. I have both devices by the way.

Some People ask me how i get the SL 3112 Sata Controller to work.

Instructions:

1. You have to patch the controller with ide-bios (standard seems raid controller) (you get it on silicon image website)

2. you have to edit the Appleviaata.kext with you vendor and product id.

repair permissions and restart :)

in attachment my kext.file

Appleviaata.kext

note: for install on sata system you have to patch your install-dvd with that kext or buy a ide-sata convertor (so you can plug a sata harddisk on ide port and can install, after installation you have to do the procedure :)

good luck!

That's totally uber. I've still order my SATA to IDE converter for a quick, temp fix, however, this may be a solution for the future.

I'm going to buy a PCI SATA card with a silicon image chipset (to play around with). Maybe, I can get this patch working and suggest that anyone who has troubles can buy a certain card, apply this patch and party away with SATA..

Over and out for now.

-AJ

does this patch work for a sillicon image 3132 based controller¿? or can be modificated to support it?

that i cant say... i only have a 3112 silicon pci card from silicon image.

i has another sata card from via (vt6421l), that also work in osx ( i have full access to harddrives and can copy etc...), but the problem is in my system, i cant set up boot options for this via sata card in bios.. my nforce chipset doesnt allow via controllers to boot.