Core i7 2.66 8GB DDR 3 Ram GeenBenck 8900?

George Ramos

6 posts in this topic

Hey all i just built my first dual boot Hack Pro. Really like it alot. However, I am unsure if i am getting all i can out of my unit. I have not over clocked it as i am unsure how to do that and it looks very complicated and i do not want to make the build unstable. However, my Geek Bench (64 bit) is about 8900 plus. Considering I am running DDR 3 Ram and a Core i7 (all be it stock cool and not OD'ed) should my numbers be better. I do see some quad cores with DDR 2 ram running similar numbers.

This machine is going to be used for final cut and creating dvd/ BluRay DVD media. thanks!

All my info is in the sig.

Hey all i just built my first dual boot Hack Pro. Really like it alot. However, I am unsure if i am getting all i can out of my unit. I have not over clocked it as i am unsure how to do that and it looks very complicated and i do not want to make the build unstable. However, my Geek Bench (64 bit) is about 8900 plus. Considering I am running DDR 3 Ram and a Core i7 (all be it stock cool and not OD'ed) should my numbers be better. I do see some quad cores with DDR 2 ram running similar numbers.

I am still learning the ins and outs of my first Hackintosh. The learning curve has been intense, but it is a lot of fun and requires a lot of reading. I have a few Geekbench scores in my Sig. As for OC'ing, I suggest increasing BCLK in small increments and verify stability before moving on. Don't be shy and keep track of settings as you go. I like to save BIOS settings to file (F11/F12, I forget which) with each change to easily get back where I was if the settings cause the BIOS to reset to defaults. Voltages may need to be increased slightly, but in my experience default values will mostly work with the exception of VCore. I did notice something that I found odd...I had better stability when I manually entered voltages for all parameters rather than leaving them set to "[Auto]". By entering the default voltage, which I figured Auto would already be doing??, I was able to achieve greater stability. If anyone has any insight on this one, I'd be curious to hear it.

Just a few tips from a newbie. I hope they help. I know every little tidbit helped me in some way. Good luck to you!!

I have a score of 10900 with my i7 920 overclocked to 3.6 GHz. The additional speed is used for video rendering.

So you could use it too...

It´s not that difficult, there should be lots of howtos for your mainboard.

But remember to use proper cooling, my cpu runs 15 to 20 degrees hotter than @ 2,66 - not quiet anymore...

I have a score of 10900 with my i7 920 overclocked to 3.6 GHz. The additional speed is used for video rendering.

So you could use it too...

It´s not that difficult, there should be lots of howtos for your mainboard.

But remember to use proper cooling, my cpu runs 15 to 20 degrees hotter than @ 2,66 - not quiet anymore...

hmm i see that you are runing a simiar rig to me except i have 2gb more RAM. I really got get this to atleast 3.5 I need to purchase an after marker cooler though right? I am not willing to go liquid. I want to use mine for final cut as well. I am benching aroun 8900...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...