Best PCI Graphics Card?

20 posts in this topic

Hello Ive posted a few questions and never got any responses so im not gonna hold my breath on this one either, especially since the situation I'm in.

I have an IBM ThinkCentre 2.4Ghz 512Mb Ram. Everything works except the obvious 865G Graphics chipset. The problem is my only other option is a pci card. Not PCI-Express. Just the old PCI. All Im looking for is getting past this 1024x768 Resolution. I tried a Radeon 7500 that performeded like garbage and wasnt able to get the calisto drivers working so I just gave up on that.

So all I'm Looking for is a PCI Graphics card thats cheap performs at least as good as my 865G chipset wich runs fine just i cant stand 1024x768. Could anyone give me some tips on the best card to get?

Thanks!

I dont' know why people won't reply, I guess they don't care. I have a problem like this. I am not going to go Macvidia since I had to reinstall twice on them and I want a nice PCI card to run in tangent with my AGP card so that when I go to windows I have the AGP for games. I just need a Macbook experience, no gaming but QE and stuff for video, dvd, etc. Something cheap. I can't seem to find the GMA 950 as a true video card with sucks. People, REPLY and help us out please. Don't be snobs and not reply.

yeah i dont understand why no one replies around here either. I must have posted about 10 questions and not a single person replies with anything remotly usefull. Makes me wonder if anyone around here actually has any idea what there doing.luckly ive managed to resolve 99 percent of my issues myself but I am still tring to find a cheap campatable pci card. well maybe ill do some random purchases at my local computer fair next month and see how it fans out.

I don't know how important it is that you use a PCI card, but I had problems with my video and ended up buying a ATi X700 Pro 256mb card from Fry's Electronics. It cost me $99, but the patch is very simple and it works great.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't know how important it is that you use a PCI card, but I had problems with my video and ended up buying a ATi X700 Pro 256mb card from Fry's Electronics. It cost me $99, but the patch is very simple and it works great.

Just my 2 cents.

I assume he has no graphics slot with his integrated graphics.

yeah i can only use a pci card unfortunatly. I installed osx86 on a extra pc i had laying around and its a specific form factor pci with a side mounted riser card. i hate ibms but its a really small pc so which is why i like it a lot. Im gonna check to see if theres an 8500 pci card. I used to own that very card back in its hay day but was agp obvoiusly. thanks for the tips i really apreciate the help.

yes you can run agp + pci together, there is a setting in most bioses which determines which card is initialized first and thereby becoming your primary graphics adapter. Windows can use two display adapters but I'm not so sure about OS X...

Instead of pci-express, there should be plenty pci version of pci-express cards, which are still good to use.

They also have pci le version, which are small version of pci graphic cards. (There are even Radeon X1600 series in pci le)

If you want osx effects and higher resolution, you should buy Radeon.

Geforce cards are good, but I believe that Macvidia drivers do not yet support QE and CI.

Try to buy Radeon 9550, X300, or X550. They are cheap and support QE and CI.

(You can also try to overclock Radeon 9550, which gives you very good performance.)

yes, BigBentleyMan.

PCIe (PCI Express) is a newer Slot and the old normal PCI Cards dont fit in and also dont run.

Im also interessed in a fully working, or fully supported !! PCI !! card with QE and CI Support and 3D acceleration. To work smoother in OSX UI and work with iDVD and other standard tools.

Any progress in PCI?

P.S There are not much PCI Cards. The best i found is a Radeo 9250. But its old. Is the 9250 enough?

There are also expensive MAC EDITION Cards. Whats the difference?