Callisto for x600

11 posts in this topic

I've just installed OS X 10.4.6 everything went well its all fine (nic works woohoo :) )

But offcorse like everybody else I can't get over resolution: 1024.

I have a x600SE mobility card (device id: 5462), installed Callisto, it all went well except that when I reboot I get an out of range resolution.

The troubleshoot of callisto sugested setting CallistoUseAltPLLMethod to true but that didn't help for me.

Can someone pls help me!

Tnx!

Here's a couple of ideas:

Checking your boot.plist file thru single user (-s) mode:

/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
nano -w com.apple.Boot.plist

Once you're inside the file, delete anything which looks like the following:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32</string>

Ctrl-O to save changes, Ctrl-X to exit.

If there was nothing to delete, you might double-check that you deleted the old settings:

rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

...and finally....

reboot

Done all that already.

But doens't help, I still get a screen which seems to have a to high resolution or to high refresh rate or something In between I dunno :blink:

Pls need help :wallbash:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same card, QE/CI working just great. A little mouse tearing but MouseLocator fixed that. Here is what I did:

First do the Koverg Patch, with the exception of changing the resolution in your com.apple.Boot.plist, I didn't change it there. Then I rebooted and installed Callisto.003fixed patch. Then you have to read his FAQ about two thirds of the way down and follow those instructions for full QE/CI. Mine has been working now for 3 months.

• 1 month later...
... installed Callisto, it all went well except that when I reboot I get an out of range resolution.

The troubleshoot of callisto sugested setting CallistoUseAltPLLMethod to true but that didn't help for me.

When I "looked for the key CallistoUseAltPLLMethod" in the /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto.kext/Contents/Info.plist, I didn't find that key. If your Info.plist had the key, where in the XML hierarchy does it go?

With a Radeon 9600 Pro, I get nothing but out of range the second I change anything in Display (even changing from 1024x768x32 to 1024x768x16.

I'd like to try the fix, but I not sure where to stick in the key and string.

TIA

Could it be that you are using a TFT-Screen? I've had exactly that problem when i tried to only partly use the callisto driver.

I just moved the kexts to the right place, deleted the kextcache-files and after a reboot i had that problem with the screen-mode being not right for my TFT-Screen. The screen-mode was something with 89 Hz. Pluggin in my old 19" CRT (heavy stuff to get from the top of my cupboard...) the mac-screen was perfectly visible...

One part of the Callisto "manual" explains how to modify some stuff in MacOS to recognize the screen-modes that your monitor will be able to display... After doing that, i had no problem to move on to my flatscreen.

• 2 weeks later...
Could it be that you are using a TFT-Screen? I've had exactly that problem when i tried to only partly use the callisto driver.

I just moved the kexts to the right place, deleted the kextcache-files and after a reboot i had that problem with the screen-mode being not right for my TFT-Screen. The screen-mode was something with 89 Hz. Pluggin in my old 19" CRT (heavy stuff to get from the top of my cupboard...) the mac-screen was perfectly visible...

One part of the Callisto "manual" explains how to modify some stuff in MacOS to recognize the screen-modes that your monitor will be able to display... After doing that, i had no problem to move on to my flatscreen.

Thanks for the pointer. I had initially skipped over the manual setting of the monitor EDID section in the Callisto "manual" because it started with "If your DFP monitor is detect as CRT..." and, while I did have a DFP TFT screen, I was using the analog VGA input for it so I figure this section didn't apply to me.

What I ended up doing was connecting to the DFP DVI port with another machine, getting the EDID (which I couldn't seem to get using the VGA port), and manually hard-coding in the EDID to the Callisto.kext Info.plist section (and setting MONITOR_TYPE,EDID to CRT,EDID). Booting up in Verbose mode, I saw Callisto enumerate the correct modes for my monitor (something I hadn't seen before), and when it came up, I was running in my monitor's optimal 1600x1200x32@60!

Following the other Callisto guides, I also modified the ATI RadeonXXXXGA.plugin Info.plist, and using Callisto 008, I full have CI/QE at 1600x1200x32@60! Wonderful!

• 3 months later...

I have an ATI X600 fully working at 1680x150x32@60 with CI/QE fully working on 10.4.8.

Installed Callisto 0.8 and modified ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin Info.plist as above to use CallistoFB.

Mouse tearing solved with might mouse (instructions on this post).

I'm trying to get Dual Display to work... only one DVI working at this time.

I have an ATI X600 fully working at 1680x150x32@60 with CI/QE fully working on 10.4.8.

Installed Callisto 0.8 and modified ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin Info.plist as above to use CallistoFB.

Any chance you could give details instruction on how to get it working?

Thanks

Well, is the device ID of your card: 5b62? I tried Callisto 0.8 with this card without success. The only difference is that I'm connecting to a VGA monitor, can this be the problem?

Edited by dong