Would somebody please provide mach_kernel for Intel SSE3?

BuXb

17 posts in this topic

System Profiler only says SSE SSE2 SS (whatever the SS means). Would be really great if you could upload it somewhere, and contact me via PM or so. I am happilly willing to take over spreading the Intel SSE3 patched kernel from there on (since there seem to be a number of people looking for that kernel .. :) .. )

THANK YOU :P !!

It does a change in performance, for real.

I was using a SSE2 kernel and the system was sluggish sometimes, and considerably slower loading apps.

Popped in a SSE3 kernel and the system loaded A LOT faster, native apps loads almost instantly.

Maybe it was just me but I noticed a considerable gain of performance using a SSE3 mach_kernel.

Hi guys.

I found mach_kernel.all on Myzar's GoatsecX 10.4.6 DVD. Booted into Windows with MacDrive enabled, renamed mach_kernel to mach_kernel_, copied mach_kernel.all to /mach_kernel, set it on hidden and booted Mac OS x86. However, booting got stuck in the blue monochrome desktop background + a black spinning loading wheel in the bottom middle of the desktop.

What tried then is loading the mach_kernel.all (with its original name) via com.apple.Boot.plist. The result is a ongoing switching between the blue desktop and the black darwin console saying something with "login window", too fast to pick it up entirely.

Anyway, the mach_kernel.all is dated 03-15-2006 15:01:08. What am I doing wrong? mach_kernel does not need any specific permissions, does it?

Here my sys specs: base install from 10.4.4 DVD with 4.5 Update chosen during install (I think from Myzar,right?), "owned" + Intel patches picked, too. Then Myzar 10.4.6 update, deactivated frameworks copied into folder frtameworks for increased OpenGL graphics speed, then JaS 10.4.7 update.

Any hints .. :D ?

myzar installation need to be AMD patched even using INTEL enjoy
I am not even sure if the DVD I described IS from Myzar, no information about that on the DVD or from the image. What do you mean by "need to be AMD patched"? Needing a kernel patched for AMD? Myzar's 10.4.6 GoatsecX DVD gets stuck after less than a minute with darwin saying that I "need to restart the computer". From what I know that is due to the kernel, so the AMD adapted kernel on that Myzar disk does not run here at all.

Booting into Mac OS and setting the permissions for the "new" kernel correctly didn't change anything.

Are you using any other SSE3 enabled kernels apart from the one dated 03-15-2006 15:01:08 ?

Thanks,

Bugs.

Hello guys, I have 10.4.7 OSX on my machine installed from Goatsecx DVD. I have old 478 mobo and old P4 CPU sse2 only. What I'm planning is buying new sse3 enabled CPU (Celeron 3ghz to be exact) and I'm thinking, how can I change my kernel after CPU upgrade to use my new sse3 functions? Can anybody help providing some instructions?

Hello guys, I have 10.4.7 OSX on my machine installed from Goatsecx DVD. I have old 478 mobo and old P4 CPU sse2 only. What I'm planning is buying new sse3 enabled CPU (Celeron 3ghz to be exact) and I'm thinking, how can I change my kernel after CPU upgrade to use my new sse3 functions? Can anybody help providing some instructions?
If you ask me: wrong order .. ^_^ . Why don't you first buy and install your new CPU and see if things work out of the box (I cannot see why not), and THEN see from there on ..(if neccessary at all).

one more little request to you guys out there with your Intel CPU's SSE3 displayed correctly in your SysProfiler:

- what's the name of the Mac OS x86 install image which you used?

- which version of SysProfiler are you running?

Once the new 160 GB 5400 SATA notebook HD from Samsung is out and installed in my Laptop I will install OS x86 from scratch with whichever version you advice me to use (yes, I am listening .. ^_^ )

Thanks,

Bugs.

how can I change my kernel after CPU upgrade to use my new sse3 functions? Can anybody help providing some instructions?

Here is a how-to replace the kernel:

First let's say your new mach_kernel is named "mach_kernel.base" and is on the root folder. Repair permissions on it. From terminal do the following:

sudo
chown root:wheel /mach_kernel.base
chmod 644 /mach_kernel.base

Reboot and and hit F8 to get the Darwin bootloader. Boot into single user mode with "-s". Type:

fsck -fy
mount -uw /
cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.old
cp /mach_kernel.base /mach_kernel

Then type "reboot" and if all went well you have your new kernel. If for whatever reason it doesn't, hit F8 to get into the Darwin bootloader and type "mach_kernel.old" to use your old kernel to boot.

[ clearing my throat .. :gathering: ]

one more little request to you guys out there with your Intel CPU's SSE3 displayed correctly in your SysProfiler:

- what's the name of the Mac OS x86 install image which you used?

- which version of SysProfiler are you running?

Once the new 160 GB 5400 SATA notebook HD from Samsung is out and installed in my Laptop I will install OS x86 from scratch with whichever version you advice me to use (yes, I am listening .. :sorcerer: )

Thanks,

Bugs.

I installed Myzar's 10.4.5 Intel only installation (As Goatsecx gave me some unstability issues), then used Goatsecx 10.4.6 Intel patcher (and I think I found a mach_kernel for Intel with SSE3 support there), and finally used JaS 10.4.7 patcher.

System is running flawlessly ^_^

Hi Arcanis,

< I installed Myzar's 10.4.5 Intel only installation

hm, I only know of a 10.4.4 with several items chosable in custom install (Owned | AMD | Intel | 10.4.5 updater), is that the one you are talking about?

< Goatsecx gave me some unstability issues

same thing here

< then used Goatsecx 10.4.6 Intel patcher

sigh - from the Goatsecx DVD? Or is there a separate Goatsecx 10.4.6 Intel patcher .. :happymac: ? In the readme that came with the patcher I have it says: "This is a standalone 10.4.6 updater to be run from a working 10.4.5 system. The requirement is a working 10.4.5 install, preferrably from this disk image ..(Pirate Bay)". No name of the publisher provided ..

< and I think I found a mach_kernel for Intel with SSE3 support there

inside the patcher?

< and finally used JaS 10.4.7 patcher

I have that one 4 sure

Yeah, that one, Myzar 10.4.4 with 10.4.5 updater.

Used Owned / Intel / 10.4.5 , unchecked all related to AMD.

Then used the 10.4.6 update package on the Goatsecx DVD (since I already wasted a DVD on it I wanted to see if I could rescue something from it :hysterical:, yeah, the 10.4.6 update works perfect, just double click it.)

The patched sse3 kernel was on that dvd too, there are a lot of kernels around there, dunno which one exactly I used, but there was one which gave me superior performance over all the others.

And finally, the JaS 10.4.7 updater. System works fine and really fast on my desktop.

Didn't install on my core duo dell 6400 because of intel wlan and sigmatel 9200 :hysterical: