Building a PC in a PowerMac G5 Case- Questions About Attaching Front I/O

dvdhsu

5 posts in this topic

So...

I have a few questions about modding the PowerMac G5 case. I've seen the sticky, and a few other threads, but none of them seem to have a definitive tutorial.

What I understand so far:

Okay, you take the G5 case, vanilla, and remove the motherboard stopper thingies. Then, you attach them again in an ATX Format.

You attach the mobo, somehow, either by just putting it in, or if it doesn't fit, removing/cutting up the top part.

You saw out the rear I/O, and either leave a hole, or make your own with aluminum.

Pretty much, it should work now.

Now, my questions:

How do I hook the power button up?

Do I take the 18 pin cable, cut one end of it, and solder some longer wires in, then connect it to the mobo?

What sort of wire do I use for that, if what I said above was correct?

Bascially, all I need to wire up is the power button, so I can actually turn it on. Wiring everything else comes later, after I can turn it on first. ;)

I'm totally new to modding, and so and and so forth, so any help would be appreciated a lot!

Thanks, and happy new year!

So...

I have a few questions about modding the PowerMac G5 case. I've seen the sticky, and a few other threads, but none of them seem to have a definitive tutorial.

What I understand so far:

Okay, you take the G5 case, vanilla, and remove the motherboard stopper thingies. Then, you attach them again in an ATX Format.

You attach the mobo, somehow, either by just putting it in, or if it doesn't fit, removing/cutting up the top part.

You saw out the rear I/O, and either leave a hole, or make your own with aluminum.

Pretty much, it should work now.

Now, my questions:

How do I hook the power button up?

Do I take the 18 pin cable, cut one end of it, and solder some longer wires in, then connect it to the mobo?

What sort of wire do I use for that, if what I said above was correct?

Bascially, all I need to wire up is the power button, so I can actually turn it on. Wiring everything else comes later, after I can turn it on first. :P

I'm totally new to modding, and so and and so forth, so any help would be appreciated a lot!

Thanks, and happy new year!

Second hit seems to have the information you want..

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&clie...earch&meta=

Having just finished mine and fighting with it quite a bit I'll share my experience. With my mod I did just what you suggested, cut the end of that 18 pin cable off that would go to the motherboard of the G5. After that, I took a power button and a power led from an old case and cut the button and led off leaving the ends that attached to the new motherboard. After finding a good pin out (and finding you don't need a ground for the power led) was able to get everything working. If you want, I can try to find some time tomorrow to take a picture and show you what I did.

Hope this helps,

Justin