ALC889A Gigabyte (AMD) GA-MA78-S2H in Snow Leopard

wind99

27 posts in this topic

I already try the kext from this forum. (and already googling).

I have the device in system profiler. but when i click the preferences, they don't show up any input or output device for the sound.

What should i do?

there is another kext that i must install.

I'm running snow leopard 10.6.1 with mobdin kernel .

Phenom 9650 | Gigabyte GA-MA78S2H |

thanks before.

• 1 month later...

I have the same chipset in 3 different gigabyte motherboards and they don't seem to want to work right. I'm using a GA-MA790FX-UD5P, GA-MA790FX-DS5, and GA-MA78GPM-DS2H. All of them are AMD boards and all have the same problems. If you use the latest VoodooHDA from this topic http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355, you'll get sound, but it's very "stuttery" and only when set to 16 bit 44.1kHz. I have fully working sound in Leopard, just not Snow Leopard. It seems to be an AMD chipset problem and not an ALC889 problem, so don't think advice from anyone with an intel chipset will help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have exactly the same prop flawless in leopard

not so in snow leopard voodoohda works but the sound is extremely jittery

but all inputs are recognized it is so frustrating

hope this is bieng worked on i to think this is a amd chipset specific proplem

it may be a amd proc proplem when i boot leopard without the bus ratio =15 flag

the same happens extremely jittery audio or maybe its a buffer prop

i have got a feeling that when on the fly cpuid patching is been used on a amd kernal

this prop will solve itself

sorry forgot to mention all outputs are working also with voodoohda

Hey folks... nothin new in here..?

Got SL working now on PHENOM X2 II 550 BE with Gigabyte GA - MA785 U3DH Board.

That board owns an alc889a Soundchip too... Its a pitty that sound wont work...

But i got an old USB Stick Sound Device (bought for 10 € just for fun)... and what can i say... that cheap thing works without doin anything (just plug in)

Would be very nice if someone can help the masses of AMD users 2...

Regards

JB

• 3 weeks later...

Guys I m on the same boat. It is definitely caused by the chipset. under leopard it works flawless. i have alc888 with ati sb600 chipset, the ID is 1002 4383. However Voodoo did not work for me ! Probabaly gonna head to basement dig my old usb sound card .

I read it's not the chipset. Apple decided to cut support for these chips. There is apparently a hack but it has to do with editing your dsdt.aml or something and I'm not familiar with doing that. :P I'm lucky to even have SL on my setup because of the way my leopard was setup and didn't have a DL dvd.

appearently ye! We are out of luck with sound. I m not gonna bother to dig in no more. But people do say they have succeed via VOODOOHDA, but i never got it working thought. I can see different output in Sound- system setting. But there is no sound comming out what so ever, There is no speaker in MINI utility either.

• 2 weeks later...
appearently ye! We are out of luck with sound. I m not gonna bother to dig in no more. But people do say they have succeed via VOODOOHDA, but i never got it working thought. I can see different output in Sound- system setting. But there is no sound comming out what so ever, There is no speaker in MINI utility either.

Just buy a £2.99 USB Audio device check ebay and search for-(USB audio mac / USB 7.1 Sound Card Audio Adapter for MAC OS PC VoIP) plug it in and select USB audio under System preferences in OSX. Thats it wdone, working audio all the time with no drivers required. Plus this will not break on an update!

Guys can someone tell me what is the best installation method with you Mobo Gigabyte GA-MA78-S2H as I can not see what distro or options to use ie what to select on running the distro? 10.6 Hazard one looks good what works with this mobo? And does everything else work? Onboard graphics, Lan.

Cheers............

Just buy a £2.99 USB Audio device check ebay and search for-(USB audio mac / USB 7.1 Sound Card Audio Adapter for MAC OS PC VoIP) plug it in and select USB audio under System preferences in OSX. Thats it wdone, working audio all the time with no drivers required. Plus this will not break on an update!

Guys can someone tell me what is the best installation method with you Mobo Gigabyte GA-MA78-S2H as I can not see what distro or options to use ie what to select on running the distro? 10.6 Hazard one looks good what works with this mobo? And does everything else work? Onboard graphics, Lan.

Cheers............

Hi thanks for the advice. I suggest that u do a retail install and put the pieces togather( Kexts ,DSDT mod , etc) try Myhack installer for basic installation , cant help more cus i dont have the same mother board, althought AMD board tends to have problem related to sleep

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I 've tried the VoodooHDA 2.6.2 from this forum:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

(the experimental one)

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-UD2H motherboard connected to an A/V receiver by the optical output (optical SPDIF).

I've tried previous versions but I had jittery sound. With this one the sound is clear and 5.1 is working fine. (Tested with Plex).

It worked with 10.6 SnowLeo and 10.6.3 update.

I haven't tested analog inputs/outputs.

Give it a try and post the results.

How did you get encoded 5.1 out of the SPDIF? I tried it and it only gives me the options for PCM stereo. Usually if it allows AC3 passthrough, it has an option called encoded out in the Audio MIDI setup tool.

How did you get encoded 5.1 out of the SPDIF? I tried it and it only gives me the options for PCM stereo. Usually if it allows AC3 passthrough, it has an option called encoded out in the Audio MIDI setup tool.

I tested it with an .mkv file and Plex. There is an option in Plex. Go to Preferences-system-Audio-Digital output support >force digital. "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver" and "DTS capable receiver" must be selected. Audio Midi setup gives me two channels. Sound is clear with 48000Hz and 2-16bit stereo. It is also clear at 96000Hz.

I think that there is a similar option in VLC.I haven't tried it.

I've just tested VLC.

5.1 is not working. Only stereo.

the voodoohda gave me KP on my AMD/ATI SB750 (ALC-888 @ 0x43831002) :(

dsc03079st.jpg

It looks like you are using version 0.2.43 of VoodooHDA. We're using the experimental build of 0.2.62 which should work. You need to download the correct version. You should also remove the old version in S/L/E before copying the new one there and repairing permissions. Then, on reboot, use the boot flag of -f to rebuild the kextcache and you should be good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
thank you so much i now have onboard audio working perfectly headphone microphone spidif even the hdmi audio over my hd 4670 no more stutering at at all my mother board is a ga-ma785gm us2h sound chip alc889a

What did you do to get HDMI audio working on your 4670?