[GUIDE] Sleep on the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L and Related Boards

8 posts in this topic

This guide will show you some practical steps to getting all sleep-related functions working on the GA-EP45-UD3L and related boards. Those functions include:

• Sleep from the Apple Menu
  • Timed Sleep/Wake via Schedule (in System Preferences->Energy Saver->Schedule Button)
  • Auto/Idle Sleep (in System Preferences->Energy Saver-> "Put the computer to sleep..." slider)
  • Wake by Ethernet (in System Preferences->Energy Saver)
  • Sleep by Ethernet (via a WakeOnLan function on another computer)
  • Regular Wake by Keyboard or Mouse activity

The ideas here are for the most part not my own, but rather a collection bits and pieces towards a solution. Credit goes to blackosx, UnsubscribeMe/MasterChief, Kdawg and a few others. The basic steps are:

• create a custom dsdt.aml file for your board and box
  • tweak that dsdt.aml file so that USB devices are recognized properly (and don't interfere with sleep)
  • make the proper settings in System Preferences
  • take care of any applications or daemons that may interfere with sleep

Here is the step-by-step list of fixes/mods/adjustments to try:

1. Create and patch a dsdt.aml file for you box using this guide (More) DSDT Fixes for Gigabyte UD3L and Related Boards in pdf form, with a majority of the credit going to blackosx and MasterChief.

Perform the fixes as outlined:

• blackosx's guide for dsdt fixes
  • the additional steps that I outline for the dsdt setup
  • install the PleaseSleep.app and activate it to deal with any apps or daemons that are blocking sleep

2. In System Preferences -> Energy Saver, you should now have 4 checkboxes.

• Check the ones you want.
  • Also, schedule Sleep and Wake via the Schedule button at the bottom.
  • You may want to try disabling/unchecking "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible."

3. Some USB keyboards and mice act less than perfectly.

• My HP keyboard and mouse would not wake up my HackPro. Switching to my Apple Keyboard and attaching the HP mouse to it solve that problem.,
  • Some keyboards, such as the Apple Aluminum Keyboard, may require a hack detailed here in order to get them to work properly with respect to sleep.
  • Other USB or Firewire devices may interfere with sleep. If you suspect that, then disconnect them all and if you can then get sleep, try reconnecting them one-by-one to see which is the culprit. Report it back here and someone may have a solution.

4. Wake By Ethernet (also know as WakeOnLAN) can be tested using this handy app:

WakeOnLAN . Note that the app seems to work well, but the dashboard widget seems to not work as well.

5. There have been some suggestions that SpeedStep interferes with normal sleep behavior. YMMV.

My personal experience is that my own dsdt.aml made from scratch using ACPI Patcher, changed incrementally, gave no sleep problems when I added in SpeedStep. On the other hand, I tried adapting another user's dsdt (he has the same board, same CPU) and my sleep on longer worked predictably.

6. If sleep still doesn't work as you want it to, you can add the SleepEnabler.kext. Download it from the thread linked below (read the thread as well!) and add it to your /Extra/Extensions directory. Use Kext Utility (or an equivalent app or commands) to rebuild your kext cache and reboot.

10.6.2 SleepEnabler and Associated Issues - Read The Thread!

Note that some users reported less-that-perfect results, but most comments were favorable. YMMV.

Acks to netkas for this kext.

7. Some apps and daemons can interfere with sleep. Kdawg reports that two apps in particular, Dropbox and iStat, may lead to problems with idle-sleep or autosleep. See his thread here for a good analysis of things in general to look at if auto/idle sleep doesn't work for you.

Also see his response below.

This guide will show you some practical steps to getting all sleep-related functions working on the GA-EP45-UD3L and related boards.....
Auto sleep for me has been a problem with iStat and Dropbox. The latest version of Dropbox (0.7.97) fixed that. As for iStat, disabling "Monitor S.M.A.R.T. drive temps" in the sensors panel fixed auto-sleep as well.

Here is a thread I started.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I am sorry but I just installed 1.6.0 and the ONLY thing that I needed to

do to get sleep working was to check the box: "start up automatically after

a power failure":

2aalfg7.jpg

Probably the only thing I would need to do further than this is to

have the keyboard to wake the computer from sleep, but I am SOOO happy

already =D

Finally I can sleep without annoying hums and I can save tons of energy

without having to turn the machine off ALL the time.

Good night guys!

post-568231-1265355815_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I need a hint.

I had the "autosleep" problem, and fixed it by turning Dashboard off via a script.

So the problem was one or more widgets.

But now, of course after a few newly installed progs and changes in dsdt (to get rid of NullCPUPoerPM kext) autosleep problem again.

Strange is that, 1. manual sleep works 2. commands like pmset, System Events sleep work

but

non of this little helper apps work for me (RIP, Please sleep, nacrolepsy), even my guess is that this apps do nothing more than compare idle time and sleep setting time, and than call pmset!

Any hint, as I am at ones wits end

EDIT: Hi,

I think the reason for this strange behavior is following "bug"

console gives me no settings for pmset command

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

When I do the same as superuser , via sudo it shows all values.

I have 2 admin accounts, and on one pmset shows correct values (no need to use sudo)

At the other admin account I get no values?!?

• 5 months later...

I know that this is an older thread, but I wanted to chime in and say that, in my case, the lack of auto sleep was caused by the DVD Rom Drive (an ASUS generic drive). To clarify, I was able to sleep using the sleep command, but I was unable to sleep using the Energy Saver Settings and it was driving me crazy because it was the one function on my system that wasn't working. After pulling much of my hair out, I determined that I was able to sleep using the Energy Saver Settings, however, after I disconnected the DVD Drive's power cable.

Here is a thread regarding this issue that lists some drives that are known to be issues and are known to work: Link

GA-EP45-UD3L (Cartri Bios v. 0.8)/10.6.4 - Vanilla Install