Best Harddrive replacement for Macbook ?

5 posts in this topic

Dear all,

my house just got burgled and the culprits took my iBook.

The insurance is going to replace it with a MacBook (at least one positive

thing coming from all the stress) in the standard configuration.

I can pay the difference to get an upgraded model and I definitely want a larger HDD.

Should I get one of larger HDD options (80GB, 5400 rpm) or just buy a larger, faster

HDD elsewhere (thinking 100 - 120 GB, 7200 rpm) and sell the original one on ebay ?

I'm confident replacing the hardware, but I'm wondering whether this would void

the warranty.

Any recommendations as to a fast & large HDD that fits nicely in the Macbook and gives

the biggest bang for the buck ?

Appreciating your feedback.

It shouldn't mess up the warranty. The Macbook actually has a very easily replaceable hard drive - it seems it's just a matter of opening a few things and pulling a tab.

I haven't checked on prices for other hard drives, but I would bet you can get a good deal going that way!

Dear all,

my house just got burgled and the culprits took my iBook.

The insurance is going to replace it with a MacBook (at least one positive

thing coming from all the stress) in the standard configuration.

I can pay the difference to get an upgraded model and I definitely want a larger HDD.

Should I get one of larger HDD options (80GB, 5400 rpm) or just buy a larger, faster

HDD elsewhere (thinking 100 - 120 GB, 7200 rpm) and sell the original one on ebay ?

I'm confident replacing the hardware, but I'm wondering whether this would void

the warranty.

Any recommendations as to a fast & large HDD that fits nicely in the Macbook and gives

the biggest bang for the buck ?

Appreciating your feedback.

I was just about to ask the same thing. I want to pickup a MacBook as well and upgrade both the memory and hard drive. I've never had a MAC before so bare with me.

Are both the hd and memory easily accessable? We we need to cut any seals (void warranty) to make the swap? If we were to go with a 7200 rpm drive would that cause a heat issue?

Thanks in advance.

Just make sure to not get the Seagate Momentus 7200.1 series. They cost more and get hotter (and are also louder?) than the Hitachi 7200 RPM drives.

I love my 100GB 7200RPM Hitachi. :)

Apple is usually good about user service of items. The only time it becomes an issue is if you bust something during the process, and even then sometimes they are nice.