10.4.6 JaS on VMWARE

14 posts in this topic

I did it yester day. I t was really easy. I used a disk image but I did NOT use Vmware's in-built disk image mounting option when addign hardware to the machine. I've heard it can be dodgy.

This is how I did it:

1. I downloaded VirtualCloneDrive from Slysoft (or use an other disk image mounting utility) and mounted my disk image with it.

2. Opened VMware and made a new machine. I selected Other, Other. for the OS.

3. Chose the add hardware option when I had created my virtual machine. I selected CD-ROM drive, and chose PHYSICAL DRIVE. I selected my VirtualCloneDrive, in my case it was I:/

4. Power on the virtual machine. When I installed I used "-v -x Platform=X86PC"

5. I erased virtual disk in teh disk utility and installed OS X to it. make sure you select the patches in teh intsllation options part. I skipped the installation disk check part.

6. When I booted I got the "b0 error" I went back to VirtualCloneDrive and I mounted the gParted liveCD (google for it)

6 II. I booted up VMware and pressed escape and chose boot to CD. when it loaded I selected the partition, right clicked and selected "manage flags" and ticked boot. I restarted teh virtual machine.

7. This time it loaded up perfectly, when through the set up Mac OS X process and most of teh stuff worked. I dont have a network connection because I didn't set one up when creatign the virtual machine, and it cried about some Sound driver plugin kext.

Conclusion:

OS X in VMware is good. It lets you fiddle with OS X to see it is right for you, But I wouldn't recommend using it like it was native, it's too slow for that and maty be difficult to set up for network, etc.

Good luck!

I didn't for my installation, but I know others have needed to. To be on teh safe side you may as well...

PS: If you get a lot of problems installing, I suggest you re-download the disk image. My JaS DVD came across so many problems so I just cut the {censored} and re-downloaded it....

...It works perfectly ;)

• 3 months later...

I have tried both jas and one other recent os x 10.4.6 X86 mac os install dvd image & dvd burned one at 4x and the other 8x under both VMWARE 5.5 then 5.5. Also did the paper clip on pins 1 & 12 & switch to 10 & 14. All {censored} out on the following message:

*** VMware Workstation internal monitor error (bug 9297) ***

The guest operating system you are running is using the Physical Address Extension (PAE) processor option. For more information about

running PAE enabled guest operating systems please consult http://www.vmware.com/info?id=28

What is the fix or am just have wait till I get a core duo system (or buy a mac mini...)

Sending a copy of the vmware log & cpu-z report

The system in question this being installed on is a Dell Inspiron 2200 which is on the HCL for 10.4.6 on the osx86.org blessed list (GMA900 issues aside). The HCL system had a Celeron M 1.5 where my system has a Pentium M 1.6ghz (725).

-------------------------

CPU-Z version 1.36

-------------------------

Processors Map

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of processors 1

Number of threads 1

Processor 0

-- Core 0

-- Thread 0

Processors Information

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)

Number of cores 1

Number of threads 1 (max 1)

Name Intel Pentium M 725

Codename Dothan

Specification Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.60GHz

Package Socket 479 mPGA (platform ID = 5h)

CPUID 6.D.6

Extended CPUID 6.D

Brand ID 22

Core Stepping B1

Technology 90 nm

Core Speed 598.4 MHz (6.0 x 99.7 MHz) (Windows XP SP2 MY computer properties says it runninng @1600 w/ a 1600 CPU)

Rated Bus speed 398.9 MHz

Stock frequency 1600 MHz

Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2

L1 Data cache 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L1 Instruction cache 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L2 cache 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

FID/VID Control yes

FID range 6.0x - 16.0x

max VID 1.340V

Latest update on the OS X on the Dell Inspiron 2200.

Can not use the big 10.4.8 update that is floating around on the hackintosh links with MAXXUS 10.4.6 it will kill it every time. I used the following to up date to 10.4.8

1. JaS.10.4.7.Update.(Intel)

2. JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 Intel

Life is good right now. It would be nice if Paralles would work with physical disk partitions like vmware.

Vmware will not boot the this install of mac os x 10.4.8. Still hung up on the PAE issue. Oh well I guess you can't have everything.

tried all those from previous mentioned but still getting Bug 9297. Is my Centrino is not compatible?

Processors Information

Processor 1 (ID = 0)

Number of cores 1

Name Intel Pentium M 745

Codename Dothan

Specification Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.80GHz

CPUID 6.D.6

Core Speed 1795.5 MHz (18.0 x 99.7 MHz)

Rated Bus speed 399.0 MHz

Stock frequency 1800 MHz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

really need some help. Thanx in advance.

Previous poster CPU is close to My CPU (Intel Pentium M Process 1.60GZ)

The fix will have to come from the VMWARE Gods/Gurus. It had hang ups with PAE which this series of Pentiums do not support but does seem to cause any issues with native boot of OS X.

Riaz Posted Oct 20 2006, 04:31 PM

tried all those from previous mentioned but still getting Bug 9297. Is my Centrino is not compatible?

Processors Information

Processor 1 (ID = 0)

Number of cores 1

Name Intel Pentium M 745

Codename Dothan

Specification Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.80GHz

CPUID 6.D.6

Core Speed 1795.5 MHz (18.0 x 99.7 MHz)

Rated Bus speed 399.0 MHz

Stock frequency 1800 MHz

------------------------------------------------------

hey,

I had the same prob. it doesn't help to change it in the config file of vmware.

you will have to change it in the boot.ini file on your (c:) drive.

"example"

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /PAE

(it could be possible that the hardware is not compatible and that it will not boot)

don't worry

boot up in save mode and remove the /PAE from the boot.ini file.

good luck

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...