OSX on a PC

The Big O

10 posts in this topic

I'm new here, so don't hate me if this topic is in here somewhere already...I honestly did try to search for it first. Oh, also, if this is in the wrong forum, sorry about that too.

While perusing the boards I keep seeing set-ups like:

Running 10.4.6 on:

-MSI 945GM2 + Pentium D 805 + ATI Radeon X1600 + 250gb SATA HD + 60gb PATA HD

Running Smooth with:

-Borisdadanov's ATI Trick, Azalia Sound Through ICH7, Q2DExtreme & No-Beamsync, CPUS=1

-World Of Warcraft Plays Nicely with 10.4.5 ATINDRV.kext

How is that possible? I saw one that was running on an AMD too, and now I'm all confused.

I thought OSX could only run on Macs due to some sort of hardware restriction. If this is a hack, I'd be interesting in reading up on how people did it. I tried searching the internet for stuff on it, but keep getting {censored} message board sites and stuff.

Thanks,

-O

LOL!

Yeah, I think I saw it in the overclocking forum or something.

So, I figure getting it to run takes considerable hacking, which is beyond my abilities. Neat to see people doing it though.

-O

I'll check that out AldousHxlE. Thanks.

Truth is, there's very little hacking needed to getting a fully working OSx86 box up and running. Really depends on the install disc you use (JaS 10.4.6 highly recommended) and the hardware you would like to use in your project. I went with the most generic setup possible, and everything worked out of the box after installation.

The wiki is a great tool when it comes to hardware compatability, but not complete, meaning many devices that probably do work are not listed.

I guess the hardest part when it comes to getting your system up and running is tracking the install DVD down and knowing how to build a computer, neither of which is hard at all.

I guess the hardest part when it comes to getting your system up and running is tracking the install DVD down and knowing how to build a computer, neither of which is hard at all.

I guess you're right. But since I don't know how to get the install DVD, I'll have to settle for running FlyaKite OS while I wait to buy my Macbook Pro.

Question though...does the performance with non Mac Core Duo chips stack up against natice Mac Core Duos?

I'm recent to the OSX bandwagon, so I think alll this stuff is just great. I'm still using Windows until at least the Core Duo 2s come out or after the WWDC.

-O

I guess you're right. But since I don't know how to get the install DVD, I'll have to settle for running FlyaKite OS while I wait to buy my Macbook Pro.

Question though...does the performance with non Mac Core Duo chips stack up against natice Mac Core Duos?

I'm recent to the OSX bandwagon, so I think alll this stuff is just great. I'm still using Windows until at least the Core Duo 2s come out or after the WWDC.

-O

FlyaKite was fun for about 10 minutes, but there really is no substitution for the real thing, you'll enjoy it.

I notice in your first post you have "cpus=1" disabling the second core, that shouldn't be needed with a Pentium D, I have an 805 that runs just great using both.

As for non-mac core duos I'm not sure anyone has that working properly, people have had to use "cpus=1" in order to get core duos to work with without stuttering, so they cut the performance in half. Run a search for "core duo" and you should get lots of posts about it.

Hrmmm.... everything I've been able to read about this says you must have a processor capable of doing SSE2 instructions. Looks like mine can only handle MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE.... looks like I'm SOL until I buy my MacBook Pro proper.

Still read some neat stuff though. Amazing what people can do with these things.

-O