My Dump Hackintosh needs a new case

aaron11193

6 posts in this topic

So the other day me and my mate went for a spin in his new ute to the local dump ( or tip ) to check out what people were throwing out, I saw a PC tower atop a smoking pile of dirt and decided to go take a look to see if it was in working condition, with no shoes on I might add :(

I went to grab it and it was a bit hot, so I picked up some piece of something ( an old towel maybe? ) to help pull the tower from the heap, got it off and had a look at it. Some bits of the case were fairly melted and some of the cabling was black and almost melted, it also smelled like a dead burnt wallaby, but i decided to throw it in the back of the ute anyway because there was some good case fans and a cool CPU fan in it.

Anyway after riding home with my loot on the handlebars I found an old power cable and plugged it in to see if it actually worked. I flipped the switch on the PSU and all the fans started spinning and I heard a familiar POST beep, a few seconds later I heard the SATA drive trying to spin up, but failing.

The sun was going down and I wasn't taking the dead burnt wallaby smell in the house so I left the computer in the laundry for the night. In the morning I had another look at it and later called my mum asking her to bring home an old CRT monitor, an old IDE hard drive and some industrial contact cleaner from work ( I knew it was all there, I spend a lot of time working for my parents ). When I got all the gear that I needed I hooked the monitor up to the tower, got a USB keyboard and mouse out of my room, got a better hard drive out of my old external enclosure and booted the beast.

Sweet, it shows the Intel POST screen and tells me there is no boot media, so i throw in a Kalyway OS X 10.5.2 DVD that I had in my suitcase and installed ;) works a treat, except for audio, still working on getting the STAC 9221 A1 working with OS X.

TL;DR found a PC at the dump and it worked, installed OS X.

Now all I need to do is find a new case for it, preferably very compact because I want to take it to school, and the one it has now smells like absolute sheit and is melted in some places :P I've thought of making one out of perspex, don't know how much that would cost, but a see-through hackintosh would be super cool, neon power and HDD activity lights all the way :(

Any suggestions? It has to be cheap, as you can tell :P

Aaron

EDIT: Forgot the specs lol

CBF booting it right now but off the top of my head:

Intel D945PLM mobo

Intel Celeron D ~2.7GHz ( fastest computer I've ever owned lol )

512MB DDR2 DIMM SDRAM ( plan on upgrading to 1GB )

Intel 945P Chipset ( can't remember the video chipset )

40GB IDE HDD ( temporary, bought a SATA-2 80GB on eBay for $35 for it )

That is an awesome story. It eases my mind a bit about putting together an OS X build for the first time.

Congrats on your new computer.

This case has a handle and is on sale at Newegg right now for $25.00. Not sure if shipping to your part of the world is prohibitive or not.

Keep in mind it's a Micro ATX case, so you'll have to check the form factor of your motherboard.

APEX TX-381-C

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811154094

@wayonflinn that APEX TX-381-C is great, but I don't think newegg ships to Aus. Even if they did I'd pay more shipping than the whole computer is worth :) I'll have a look around in some Aus PC parts shops.

@sweatyone I thought of doing that, we have heaps of milk crates laying around. They have great ventilation :P but they're just a bit too big :S

BTW I got sound working using voodooHDA.kext :)

It's so great having everything compatible ;)

Tried running OS X Leopard on my Toshiba Portege m200, the two things I just couldn't get working were nVidia drivers ( GeForce FX Go5200 ) and the WiFi.

Aaron

So the other day me and my mate went for a spin in his new ute to the local dump ( or tip ) to check out what people were throwing out, I saw a PC tower atop a smoking pile of dirt and decided to go take a look to see if it was in working condition

It kinda makes me sad to see stuff like that being throw away, its a waste and hurts the

environment, glad to see someone reusing it

It kinda makes me sad to see stuff like that being throw away, its a waste and hurts the

environment, glad to see someone reusing it

I'm one of those people that regularly visits the dump to look for good stuff that I can give a new home :) Even if I don't need it, I take it for parts, much to the dismay of my mum :(

"Oh god more {censored} from the dump, you know it's just going to end up back there when you go back to school"

Aaron