How to dual boot with EasyBCD and Windows 7?

Rasstar

13 posts in this topic

I have Snow leopard installed on a USB hard drive and Windows 7 installed on my Raid 0 array. I am trying to use easyBCD to add an option to the Windows 7 bootloader to launch Snow Leopard but no matter what it fails. Has anyone been able to get EasyBCD working with the Snow Leopard installation on another disk? I have been searching forever but cannot fine any instructions that work.

When I add Snow Leopard using EasyBCD I etiher get a grubdos screen.

I can boot Snow Leopard fine if I chose to boot from the USB drive.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

9800 GTX+

4GB Ram

I have Snow leopard installed on a USB hard drive and Windows 7 installed on my Raid 0 array. I am trying to use easyBCD to add an option to the Windows 7 bootloader to launch Snow Leopard but no matter what it fails. Has anyone been able to get EasyBCD working with the Snow Leopard installation on another disk? I have been searching forever but cannot fine any instructions that work.

When I add Snow Leopard using EasyBCD I etiher get a grubdos screen.

I can boot Snow Leopard fine if I chose to boot from the USB drive.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

9800 GTX+

4GB Ram

use easybcd 2.0n beta for win7. There's option mac osx there. it's actually calling chain loader chain0 as different name. download the chain0 to replace it or not, depend on you. easybcd 2.0 beta is on the forum of it developer.

^^^This does not work. I have Windows 7 on one drive and Mac on another. When I add Mac OS X using easybcd it does not work.

I tried a Dual-Boot again this morning. I had Dual Boot working 100% with Windows 7 and Mac OS X Leopard, but then I upgraded to OS X Snow Leopard and decided to delete my Windows partition to give me more space.

I installed Windows 7 successfully but I was getting a "Chain Booting Error" when I tried to boot into OS X (after using EasyBCD, replacing chain0 and boot0). So I recovered my system back to Snow. WTF is with Snow Leopard and Windows 7?????

• 3 months later...
I have heard some people getting it to work while using one hard drive with different partitions. I cannot find a single person that got it done with different hard drives and Windows 7.

I'm using 2 diff drives myself and uses rc4 chameleon bootloader and its eaiest thing just make sure your primary boot drive is the osx drive and both w7 and mac will show

The EasyBCD MacOS entry doesn't work because it tries to load the wrong file. You have to edit the entry in command prompt (not possible within EasyBCD) to load chain0. Assume that the entry description is "Snow Leopard", then press Windows+R to see the Run dialog and type cmd. Execute it to start a command prompt window. Of course you should have Administrator priviledges to proceed, so the best is to turn off User Account Control and restart before doing this.

Inside the window type these commands and press enter to execute:

bcdedit /enum active

bcdedit set {Snow Leopard partition ID} path \chain0

exit

The first command shows all boot entries and some data. Find the MacOS entry and see the ID enclosed in {}. You can copy-paste it, so you don't have to type it. Right click on the command prompt window border and select Edit->Mark. Now use your mouse to mark the ID and press Enter to Copy it in the clipboard.

The second command changes the path for the MacOS entry, so it loads chain0 file. Start typing the command up to the left barcket { , then right click the border again and select Edit->Paste to paste the ID. Close the bracket and complete the command.

The next command closes the command prompt window. On next restart you should be able to select the MacOS entry and then see Chameleon or whatever you have installed. Don't forget to copy the chain0 file from Chameleon (or whatever) to the root of your Windows partition, or this won't work since the file will be missing!

It worked for me, so it should work for you. It doesn't matter if the two OSes are in the same disk or in separate disks. Exactly the same works in Windows Vista.

In Windows XP you have to add the relevant entry manually in the file BOOT.INI (open it with Notepad). At the end of the file, add this new entry at the [operating systems] list:

C:\chain0="Snow Leopard"

Where "Snow Leopard" is the description of the MacOS entry. You can put whatever you like, as you can also modify the Windows XP description. I would change these to "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" and "Apple MacOS X 10.6 Snow Leopard". You can also put "PC" and "Mac".

• 2 months later...

Inside the window type these commands and press enter to execute:

bcdedit /enum active

bcdedit set {Snow Leopard partition ID} path \chain0

exit

The second command should be:

bcdedit /set {Snow Leopard partition ID} path \chain0

i.e. Sotirios missed a forward slash.

As wahoo said, just use Chameleon. Couldn't be simpler! W7 on one drive, SL on another with a partition for Chameleon of say 1Gb. No messing around.

Can please someone eleborate on this. Im new in osx86 world, but been using both systems for long time.

I have Chameleon RC4 with SL 10.6.2 installed on one drive and win7 on other. How can I simply dual boot?

Can please someone eleborate on this. Im new in osx86 world, but been using both systems for long time.

I have Chameleon RC4 with SL 10.6.2 installed on one drive and win7 on other. How can I simply dual boot?

If you've been using both systems for a long time, then how do you boot into them?

Install EasyBCD 2.0 Beta on Windows 7..........add entry for Mac in EasyBCD.........then you can boot from each OS to the other OS depending on which HDD is your ist boot HDD............