VMWare Fusion Bridged Networking

yelloguy

7 posts in this topic

I had VMWare Fusion 2.x.x working in Leopard (Dell 530 Desktop Hack). I was using Bridged mode for networking. I had an XP image that I could remote into from anywhere using the IP.

Then I upgraded to Snow. And the version of Fusion I had refused to install. Thankfully VMWare had a new version out that had "experimental" Snow Leopard support. I downloaded and installed it on Snow and it worked. Except for Bridged networking. I had to use NAT and I thought that was a small price to pay.

Now it has been a while and I decided to fix the problem. VMWare has Fusion version 3.0 out and they claim to have fixed this issue (specifically mentioned in forums). I have upgraded to 3.0 but I still cannot get it work with Bridged networking.

When I switch the network mode to Bridge (Automatic) or Bridge/Selected Network device, I get no connectivity. I cannot ping any URL's or IP addresses. OSX (Host) has network working but Guest XP has no connectivity. If I switch the network to NAT, it works well but it gets a weird IP address that I cannot reach from my home network.

Has anyone else faced this issue? Is it because of the Hack? I have a vanilla install from retail DVD so that shouldn't be the case. But who knows!

Thanks for any comments in advance.

I have a VM with MS-Money installed (until May-2010). Since Money has been discontinued, I cannot leave the VM until I find a replacement. I have tried converting the VM to parellels but that didn't work. And VMWare works well enough for my purposes.

I don't need accelaration in the VM. And parellels doesn't give me anything additional.

Thanks though.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem described in the OP. I suspect it is due to the NIC driver lacking in some way. I have had zero problems out of the NIC except for not being able to get bridged networking in parallels, vmware fusion, nor virtualbox.

For reference, I have tried the first and latest driver from this insanelymac thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=128931

Intel 82566DC

btw, i'm not on snow leopard. I'm on 10.5.6. I've never had bridged networking work for me, but also, i've never tried fusion 2.x. I started on fusion 3.x, parallels 5, and vbox 3.1.x

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here.. I have the Intel 82567V nic and Bridged mode won't work with Vmware Fusion 3.0 or Virtual Box. I am running 10.6.5. I havent tested Parallels yet. I get an ip address from dhcp but then nothing can communicate. I am using Intel82566MM.kext as the driver.

Edited by joshs85

Same here.. I have the Intel 82567V nic and Bridged mode won't work with Vmware Fusion 3.0 or Virtual Box. I am running 10.6.5. I havent tested Parallels yet. I get an ip address from dhcp but then nothing can communicate. I am using Intel82566MM.kext as the driver.

Don't waste your time with more testing. I'm running the same driver, get IP from DHCP, that's it. Simply the mac doesn't get any paket with IP of the virtual machine(s).

br,

Matus