Problem with Asus P5K & Snow leopard 10.6

rickette

32 posts in this topic

Hi,

Here is a quick review of what i've been doing with the same hardware :

I was using a vanilla 10.5.4 distribution, everything worked fine.

I thought "hey, upgrade to 10.5.8 ?" i did a fresh install of ideneb, everything worked flawless.

I thought "hey, SL is out, let's go try it !" but it's been nearly impossible to install !!

I did many, many, MANY installation guides found over the internet (like this one, this one, this one, this one, or

) but none of them was successful.

I tried many boot method, many installation method (upgrade, fresh install, usb stick, retail dvd...) but nothing worked well so far.

It seems that there is a problem with ICH9. in fact, pretty often i got the "still waiting for root device" message, otherwise when i finally boot over Snow Leopard installation the program can't find any SATA drive.

Once i tried installing on a USB drive and it was so simple, easy and worked flawlessly that i decided to go fix my boot to be able to boot in SATA... but again, nothing worked.

So i can only install and use SL on a USB drive... but as you can imagine the performances aren't that good...

Now i'm looking for any help i can get fixing anything that could make my hardware work fine.

Here is my hardware :

asus P5K (no WIFI, PRO or else) (it has Jmicron chip, ICH9 and latest 1201 BIOS)

intel C2D E8400

4Go Ram

Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512Mo

WD 200Go HDD

thanks to anyone for the help !

It tried to install SL using my existing Ideneb distro, then installing chameleon on the partition, and finally patching up the kext and repairing the permissions.

here is a picture of the error screen after reboot with -f -v

if that helps...

img0570m.jpg

I tried again installing via this method (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185823)

Apparently its a good methos, but it didn't work.

Booting with -v -s -x32 i noticed that apparently every kext i added failed to load, so a think it may come from 2 possibilities :

- i haven't fixed the permissions correctly (wich i did, using the command line at Tip 3 of the previous link)

- my kext aren't that good for my motherboard...

I'm sure i got ones from a successful install method on a Asus P5K though (i can't remember wich one).

I'm running out of ideas here.

Maybe someone with a working install on a P5K can send me his kext ?

THX

I tried another method :

3 Partitions on the HDD : 1 with a retail dvd image restored, 1 with Ideneb (10.5.8) installed, 1 with SL installed via the osinstall.mpkg method.

I then installed chameleon RC3 then RC4 this morning.

Now it gives me this error

image1kd.png

What can i do about it ?

(i'm using an Asus P5K mobo, with jmicron and ICH9)

In reply to Mac OS Verison: Not Yet Set

I was having the same problem getting MAC OS VERSION Not yet set. But I got it figured out...still no luck getting it to work though...getting other kernel panics...but i hope this helps the rest of you.

I have an Asus p5k....I noticed the only way For the Snow Leopard install to find the target sata drive you wish to install on, is if the target sata drive is on the first SATA Port and is Disk0. Secondly, Snow partition has to be partition #1 *on top of all the other partitions* and once you finish install make sure to boot from the disk snow is on.

I hope this helps! Good Luck

//Edit

take a look at this aswell! It might help http://netkas.org/?p=125

Thank you very much !

Your kext worked just fine.

I can view the HDD during the installation with diskutil.

Now i have to figure out why my install is freezing after a while...

Sometimes i can't choose the language, sometimes it freezes when i open diskutil.

But thanks anyway !

BTW where did you find this kext ?

I can view the HDD during the installation with diskutil.

Now i have to figure out why my install is freezing after a while...

Sometimes i can't choose the language, sometimes it freezes when i open diskutil.

These problems can be fixed with your DSDT, also can be done:

sleep, autosleep(you should edit fakesmc.kext plist also for correct cpu temperature range in iStat), hybernate,

ethernet(for timemachine,iTunes, correct UUID(based on your lan MAC adress) to avoid some unexpected KPs on system underground checking),

native cpu controll(speedstep, temperature fan speed, shutdown...),

and more... like HPET, RTC, System Bus, LPC, SATA and PATA( correct channels position), USB, firewire(hotplug and power reserve), Audio and Video.

goodluck. :)

I have the same board Asus P5K, and I have my Vanilla snow Leopard 10.6.2 100% functional.(Everything works, Ethernet, Sound).

How did u do your instal?

I tried so many method...

Basicaklly i tried booting from a restored DVD, both on a USB stick and on a partition on a HDD.

I also tried the OSInstall.mpkg method.

The last method is the one i've come the closest to a working SL... but i can't boot until i do -x

Now i downloaded a custom install dvd wich works fine durong the install, but on first boot it says com.apple.boot.plist file is missing.

So i tryed to fix that using my working ideneb 10.5.8 but no success so far.

I think there's a problem in fixing the permissions and probably with the kexts i use.

here is where i am so far :

img0645i.jpg

Any help is welcome

make you acquainted with this tutorial (imo the best way to install retail osx):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=165676

create such a pendrive by using chameleon2.rc3 and osx 10.6 retail dvd ( i haven't tested chameleon2.rc4 yet). follow all steps accordingly. when done let me know. i'will then provide you with dmg-dumps for both the ussboot partition (pendrive) and the hidden efi partition.

i have perfectly working 10.6.2 64-bit on p5k plain with q6600 and nvidia 8600GT. sata, sound, firewire, esata (jmicron) and everything else works like a charm. it runs in a dual boot with 10.5.8 with no probs either.

i don't remember my bios release (i'm writing this on my macbook at the moment), but i'll check it tommorow for you. we will know then if you shall use my dsdt.aml or not.

cheers

/noctrl

btw to avoid probs with "waiting foe root devices" use netkas' AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to install 10.6.0 from pendrive and then inject dune's AppleIntelPIIXATA directly into system of 10.6.2. latest enables all sata ports.

http://netkas.org/?s=AppleIntelPIIXATA&sbutt=Go

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88335

Thank you very much !

Unfortunately i don't think i can try this out until next week, but i'll keep posting here if this works !

EDIT : Well, as i can't have a working snow leopard to repair cache extensions as it's said in your method.

BTW, are we talking about extensions.mkext here ?

Can't i use Kext Utility or Kext Helper ?

These are kext I'd use to boot 10.6 already installed on p5k plain:

ls -la /Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B 11 Jun 2009 AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B 31 Okt 12:29 AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B 21 Jun 2009 LegacyAppleAHCIPortJMicronJMB36xSATA.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B 17 Jul 13:03 NVinject.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B 19 Aug 21:34 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B 19 Aug 21:34 OpenHaltRestart.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B 19 Aug 21:34 PlatformUUID.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B 8 Okt 17:03 UUID.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B 18 Jul 06:44 VoodooHDA.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B 29 Aug 17:35 VoodooPS2Controller.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102B 22 Aug 11:33 fakesmc.kext

Don't forget those as well:

ls -la /Volumes/EFI/Extra

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 422B 25 Nov 21:38 com.apple.boot.plist

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 36K 8 Okt 14:20 dsdt.aml

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1,7K 27 Mar 2009 smbios.plist

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext is from here: http://netkas.org/?s=AppleIntelPIIXATA&sbutt=Go

With this kext you will get only the first SATA controller working, but you can boot into SL. No problem. When you in SL install this one: http://www.mediafire.com/?ymwmhlkwhmm by using Kext Helper.

Then remove /Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and

rebuild the /Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions.mkext before reboot.

Cheers

/noctrl

NB: AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext is a subkext of IOATAFamily.kext. Ergo you will find AppleIntelPIIXATA inside IOATAFamily.kext

BTW: To create a mkext for EFI partiton use these commands:

#!/bin/bash
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions
kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions
chown root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions.mkext
chmod 644 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions.mkext

Ok i finally got it working !!

Here's how i did :

- boot with ideneb 10.5.8

- partition the drive whith : first partition "Snow", second partition "Leopard"

- Install Ideneb on "Leopard"

- boot into Leopard 10.5.8

- Load the Snow Leopard Install and launch OSInstall.mpkg (install on "Snow" Volume)

- When it's done, install Chameleon RC2

- Install Chameleon RC3

- Modifiy com.boot.plist and PlateformUUDI.kext with the correct number of the boot drive "Snow" (with disk util)

- Put every kexts you need in Extra/Extensions

- Replace "boot" file with the one from this post

- Repair permissions with kext utility

- Reboot using -32 -x -v

- Under Snow Leopard copy every kexts from E/E to S/L/E

- Repair permissions with kext utility (this one worked the second time for me)

- Reboot and enjoy !

Thanks very much for all the help i got here

EDIT : I just upgraded to 10.6.2, and it works flawless as well

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying multiple post installation without succes. Can you put some file attached with all the necesari files and utilities to make it work like you do ??

I don't know any commands for Terminal, so please describe all the best possible.

And some images would be great.

Thx !!!!!

I've been trying multiple post installation without succes. Can you put some file attached with all the necesari files and utilities to make it work like you do ??

I don't know any commands for Terminal, so please describe all the best possible.

And some images would be great.

Thx !!!!!

Try the kext and dsdt in my signature

I'm thinking about trying an install on a P5K/EPU, but am having trouble finding a jumping-off point for that board. Anyone have any opinion as to whether or not this method would be worth a shot, for me?

make you acquainted with this tutorial (imo the best way to install retail osx):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=165676

create such a pendrive by using chameleon2.rc3 and osx 10.6 retail dvd ( i haven't tested chameleon2.rc4 yet). follow all steps accordingly. when done let me know. i'will then provide you with dmg-dumps for both the ussboot partition (pendrive) and the hidden efi partition.

i have perfectly working 10.6.2 64-bit on p5k plain with q6600 and nvidia 8600GT. sata, sound, firewire, esata (jmicron) and everything else works like a charm. it runs in a dual boot with 10.5.8 with no probs either.

i don't remember my bios release (i'm writing this on my macbook at the moment), but i'll check it tommorow for you. we will know then if you shall use my dsdt.aml or not.

cheers

/noctrl

• 4 weeks later...

I am using a p5k with q6600 and at gts250 and got it to install on harddisk just fine. I did, however crossflash with a p5kr bios to get achi for the sata ports.

Scrax has a guide to install p5kC somewhere on the forums in italian I think. I didn't follow the guide but I did use his ethernet reload script and placed it in rc.wakeup of sleepwatcher and did the same for the audio kext (disabled audio before sleep with rc.sleep) to fix the sound and network problems when waking from sleep in snow leopard. Update: ethernet still has ocassional issue even after unloading and reloading the kext which requires restart, audio works every wake thus far.

One thing to note is that I had to place dsmos.kext in the extra/enxtensions folder of the usb install stick to actually get past the blank grey screen after the apple loading screen. I don't remember what error it was but I did a search and that was the file I required. I replaced that with version 2.5 of fakesmc.kext when I installed chameleon onto the main drive. I did most of the fixes by editing my DSDT file so I ended up using 4 kext files:

fakesmc.kext

voodoohda.kext (ALC883 audio working but low volume)

AttansicL1Ethernent.kext (64 bit compatible ehternet driver version)

LegacyAppleAHCIPortJMicronJMB36xSATA.kext (if you are using the Jmicron devices)

The last three were installed using kext utility. Restart fix was done in the modded chameleon boot file from duvel with corresponding RestartFix=YES com.apple.Boot.plist located in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. I also added GraphicsEnabler=YES in the Boot.plist as well.

DSDT fixes were as follows:

General fix using DSDTpatcherGUI (without the HPET option)

Cmos fix (though I didn't really encounter it before)

Internal Drive fix (internal drives showing as removable, orange, storage)

UHCI (USB) fix ( Convert to ICH10 device id)

I didn't add any HDEF (for audio) or PCI0 (graphics) since it was not necessary in my case.

Also to automatically unload and load Kext in snow leopard you will need to edit sudoers file to gain nopasswd privilages to kextload and kextunload which are located in /sbin. Use man sudoers in terminal to get some info on how to prepare the one line code using visudo.

@GTOTURBO can you please upload your files somewhere. It would be great to have an iso image with all files to boot with the original SL DVD.

I tried many tutorials and don't see any change for me to get it running on my P5K.

I have 10.5.6 already installed but like to do a fresh install with 10.6.x

The best try until now was with myHack_Installer_1.0_RC5.1 but the setup stopped after language selection (endless preparing)

@GTOTURBO can you please upload your files somewhere. It would be great to have an iso image with all files to boot with the original SL DVD.

I tried many tutorials and don't see any change for me to get it running on my P5K.

I have 10.5.6 already installed but like to do a fresh install with 10.6.x

The best try until now was with myHack_Installer_1.0_RC5.1 but the setup stopped after language selection (endless preparing)

I installed using a usb stick and used chameleon RC4 installer by DR hurt at kexts.com to prepare. This requires that you have an existing mac. Simply guid partition the stick (8GB minimum) and run the installer and change directory to the stick. Then make an image of your original sl disk and restore it to the stick with "erase destination" unchecked which are all done in disk utility. Then you will need to copy dsmos.kext to the extra/extensions/ folder on the usb stick to allow you to properly load SL installer. Most all files can be downloaded from kexts.com including the required ethernet, jmicron controller, and voodoohd kext.

You also need to cross flash your bios with a P5KR (703 version was used). I used a dos bootable usb stick and placed AFUDOS and the rom file on the stick and ran AFUDOS /n /iROMNAME.rom where ROMNAME is the name of the rom you want to flash.

Hope this helps you. It took me about 3 days straight to get caught up on how to do this as it was my first attempt. I am currently running 10.6.2 and using virtual box to run win 7.

One thing I did notice during the install was that my old maxtor 120GB sata HD from 2004 had problems being detected when using achi. My seagate 120GB from the same year worked fine. Removing the maxtor solved the extremely long delay when loading.