Vista Bluetooth Fix

AirmanPika

6 posts in this topic

I recalled there had been a fix to get bluetooth going in XP prior to Bootcamp existing that worked well. Since the Bootcamp drivers don't want to work I decided to take a look back at the fix and see if it worked.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=12293

Amazingly it works perfectly even in vista. The only modification I did (which may or may not even be needed) was when I edited the bth.inf file (I used the MS Bluetooth stack option) I changed the text stating "NT.5.1" to "NTx86...1" as thats what was contained in the other entries of the inf file. Once I ran the utility as instructed vista detected the bluetooth radio and installed the drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Not working here. I can't get device manager to show Apple under bth.inf even though I have typed it in. I am running a build later than Beta 2, but I doubt there have been significant changes to device management.

And yes, I tried running hid2hci...

Using a hex editor, I replaced the hex string '120A' with 'AC05' in hid2hci.exe. This allows using the utility without conditions. I then renamed the program BthActivate.exe and placed it in C:\Windows\System32. Now make the changes to C:\Windows\inf\bth.inf and add in the [Manufacturer] group:

Apple=Apple, NTx86...1

and under the "Device section - Start" line:

[Apple.NTx86...1]
Apple Bluetooth Radio=				   BthUsb, USB\Vid_05ac&Pid_8205

Finally, in RegEdit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and add the following:

BluetoothActivate	REG_SZ	"C:\Windows\System32\BthActivate.exe" runtime -Delay

This works flawlessly everytime the computer starts. Bluetooth devices, such as keyboards and mice, aren't available until after the desktop finishes loading, but it works.

You might try removing the 'runtime -Delay' but I suspect all other driver's aren't done loading yet and it doesn't always work.