GEForce 6.0.6 Kernel Panic on 7xxx Nvidia Cards on 10.6.2

laatmaarzien

37 posts in this topic

After blindly updating to 10.6.2 last night, I logged back into the system to see a KP on com.apple.geforce (6.0.6). I was in a tizzy till I found out that there were many having the same problem.

According to Netkas on his blog, 7xxx are reported to have trouble with 10.6.2, and therefore some other hack might come around for it eventually.

Others solved their problem by booting into 32 bit mode, or using NVInjects for 64 Bit. A lot of issues have been reported with using NVInject - including poor GFX performance in VLC etc.

What I did was replace GEForce.kext in /S/L/E with one from 10.6.1 (I took it from my MacBook Pro) and rebuilt the mkext, and voila, on booting in x64 all is fine again. It will do, till someone figures out a better solution. But it seems that days of being on 7xxx series NVidia card are numbered.

hi man I have the same problem as yours on my Nvidia 7600 I have tried your method without any success using the geforce kext from 10.6.0 ....

Can you please send the one you are using 10.6.1 because I somehow can not extract using pacifist without getting checksum error..

thnx in advance

Same problem here, 7600GT.

So, what's it going to be? Will Apple release a Graphics update or something?

Or we'll just have to upgrade the graphics card? That's just fantastic, the thing I needed right now... ¬¬

Bye!

Hey timdafweak. I tried to put back Geforce.kext and all NV*.kext from 10.6.1 and I didnt get KP, but a pretty beautiful blue screen without mouse. I hope someone to can fux the problem. It can be booted using the SL Boot CD, but without graphic acceleration. I really don't want to buy a new video card. I hope some guru here to solve the problem. Cheers.

to those who haven't gotten a copy of the 10.6.1 geforce kexts. what i did was download 10.6.1 from apple's website and a program called Pacifist (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6812/pacifist). i mounted the 10.6.1 and then i opened the 10.6.1 update in Pacifist and went to s/l/e in pacifist and copied all the geforce kexts above to hdd. i ignored the warning about some check that failed and copied the geforce kexts into my s/l/e folder and chmod and chown them. booted up and works. sorry, i'm tired guys. hope that helped.

[geforce 7600go 256 @ 10.6.2]

edit: as an aside, to get qc/qe working in 10.6.0, before i upgraded, i used nvenabler 64.kext for my graphics card. also, i used this (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4) guide to find out which files to add my device id to. sadly, i don't know how to add device id, but chances are if you had qc/qe working earlier, it's probably in one of your old kexts. mine was in an old NVkush kext from the leopard install i used to make 10.6.0.

all i replaced:

GeForce.kext

GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGA.plugin

GeForceVADriver.bundle

may not have to replace all those, but i guess it couldn't hurt =3

My mistake!

I wiped the 10.6.2 kexts and put into Extensions folder the ones in 10.6.1 update. The thing is that kexts from 10.6.1 update are not the whole files, they just replace some files from the previous (10.6.0). So what I did is install the 10.6 kexts, then install the 10.6.1. (Using pacifist)

:unsure: dumb me

hey Indraganzo, sorry that it didn't work - I actually updated all GEforce Kexts and NV* as well. I can upload them to RS and send you the link by PM.

timdafweak,

Thnx for sending me the files...

When I have Used your kexts;

GeForce.kext

GeForceGA.plugin

GeForceVADriver.bundle

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

NVSMU.kext

I got my card working under 64 bit mode but with out QE/CI :wacko:

to check if you have QE/CI http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=956995

Then I have come across this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1326975

only installing these

GeForce.kext

GeForceGA.plugin

GeForceVADriver.bundle

Now I got it working full QE/CI in 64 bit mode ;)

THNX

That's so strange... I am sure I have QE/CI, after having replaced all I sent you. But, well :wacko: whatever works eh? In the meantime I have ordered a 9800GT off Newegg... seems that the 7xxx support is being stopped under x64 (which is why everyone running 32 bit was able to painlessly update).

In the meantime I have ordered a 9800GT off Newegg... seems that the 7xxx support is being stopped under x64 (which is why everyone running 32 bit was able to painlessly update).

Since you brought up the subject, what would it be the best graphics card we can get now for our hackintoshes? I'm talking between 120-150$. Are we gonna have to change to ati, since Apple is using them the most?

If anyone has some choices, talk now! I'd love one with passive heatsink, same as the 7600gt i'm using now.

Bye!

7200GS here.

I also have to use the 10.6.1 kexts. After rebooting, I got a strange problem: The system detected two monitors plugged in, with the primary being the VGA port -.- so I was being greeted by an empty screen, save for the wallpaper.

After plugging a monitor into the VGA port and then unplugging it, the second monitor was gone and everything was alright again... I hope that I do not have to this on every reboot, didn't reboot since then...

7200GS here.

I also have to use the 10.6.1 kexts. After rebooting, I got a strange problem: The system detected two monitors plugged in, with the primary being the VGA port -.- so I was being greeted by an empty screen, save for the wallpaper.

After plugging a monitor into the VGA port and then unplugging it, the second monitor was gone and everything was alright again... I hope that I do not have to this on every reboot, didn't reboot since then...

hrm.. well that's weird. i dunno if you've tried or not, but if that happens again, you can go into system preferences > display > arrangment. then drag the menubar to whichever monitor you want it to display on. the dock will follow~

I have upgraded to 9800GT by XFX. I have created the new DSDT for it, and will pop it in when it gets delivered today. It cost me 80$ after 20$ MIR from Newegg. I have one of those in my Media Center PC, and it works great. Unfortunately it doesn't have passive cooling.