Sleep issues with GA-EP45-UD3P

17 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I followed the guide at http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...finish#hardware to install snow leopard on my machine. Everything works amazingly except one thing: sleep.

When I put the machine to sleep, the display turns off, and the hard drives make the wind down sound that you would expect, and the lights go off for a fraction of a second, but then it starts right back up resuming where it was. It's almost as if it goes to sleep, but then something is waking it immediately.

I have tried the following things:

1) Checked to make sure that Wake on LAN Access was off in power saver

2) Unplugged both the USB keyboard and mouse to make sure that they weren't sending input for some odd reason

3) Unplugged the LAN cable to make sure that LAN wasn't waking it (even though it was set to off in the power settings)

If anyone has any ideas it would be very much appreciated. Since I am using this as a media server/ media center it is very important that I can get sleep working.

Thanks so much!

Hey all,

I followed the guide at http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...finish#hardware to install snow leopard on my machine. Everything works amazingly except one thing: sleep.

When I put the machine to sleep, the display turns off, and the hard drives make the wind down sound that you would expect, and the lights go off for a fraction of a second, but then it starts right back up resuming where it was. It's almost as if it goes to sleep, but then something is waking it immediately.

I have tried the following things:

1) Checked to make sure that Wake on LAN Access was off in power saver

2) Unplugged both the USB keyboard and mouse to make sure that they weren't sending input for some odd reason

3) Unplugged the LAN cable to make sure that LAN wasn't waking it (even though it was set to off in the power settings)

If anyone has any ideas it would be very much appreciated. Since I am using this as a media server/ media center it is very important that I can get sleep working.

Thanks so much!

Several things - first, there is a ton of information about sleep issues with your specific board - make sure you search the posts. Second, in order to help, we would need more info - like the BIOS version you are using, what DVD ROM you use, etc. Did you stray from the Lifehacker build list, did you check your BIOS settings to make sure your settings match exactly...

There is a lot more you can do to help yourself and to help those here that might be able to advise you...

Good luck, the Gigabyte setup works very well with 10.6.1...

Several things - first, there is a ton of information about sleep issues with your specific board - make sure you search the posts. Second, in order to help, we would need more info - like the BIOS version you are using, what DVD ROM you use, etc. Did you stray from the Lifehacker build list, did you check your BIOS settings to make sure your settings match exactly...

There is a lot more you can do to help yourself and to help those here that might be able to advise you...

Good luck, the Gigabyte setup works very well with 10.6.1...

I have done a fair bit of searching and most of the issues I have found pertain to sleep mode freezing machines, rather than the insta-wake that I am experiencing.

I am using the stock latest BIOS version, and no DVD ROM at all.

I am using different RAM (G. Skill) , different hard drives (Western Digitals, few different sizes), a different CPU (E6600), different NIC (Encore ENLGA-1320, reported working 100% with Leopard), and the graphics card is an 8800 GTX. BIOS settings are the same as the guide suggests.

While the hardware does differ greatly, none if it something that should be causing problems with OS X (Hard drive is a hard drive, RAM is RAM, a CPU is a CPU, etc)

I do not have any other PCI-E/PCI cards such as the firewire card suggested.

Thanks for the replies! Any ideas?

My system was doing this, turns out it was my Printer (Canon i450) that was in standby causing it. With the plug turned off to the printer it sleeps perfectly, with it on (But Printer "asleep") it awakes straight away.

I have tried completely unplugging everything but video and ethernet and then remoting in to put it to sleep and it still wakes up instantly. Any other ideas guys?

Thanks!

I guess you have checked your BIOS settings? Can't really think of anything else, I can take some pics of my settings if you like?

That'd be appreciated. I followed the settings posted in the life hacker guide, but at this point I am desperate to find any differences I can between mine and someone who has a working sleep configuration.

Thanks!

I just noticed your signature - are you running an Nvidia chipset/motherboard? If so, the install method you used would have included an incorrect DSDT file for that chipset...

If you are running the GA-EP45-UD3P, indicate what rev board you have (1.0 vs 1.6) and then tell us what BIOS version you are using. I have upgraded my BIOS on my 1.6 rev board and had all kinds of trouble. I have also seen sleep issues with the installation of a CD/ROM/DVD ROM which has Lightscribe. That optical drive has some process which runs every 30 seconds and prohibits sleep.

If you are using the NVidia board, you will need to replace the DSDT file with the correct file and reboot....

Hey all,

sorry for the delay in reply! How do I find the current BIOS version/ revision of my board. I checked the box, instruction manual, and BIOS for all of this info and couldn't find either one. Thanks!

PS. I am using the board mentioned in the guide/this topic, not the one in my signature.

• 4 weeks later...

The SleepEnabler.kext downloadable here worked for me on 10.5.8 and EP45-UD3P ....and it may work for you:

http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/index.php/...os-1058-install

He mentions in his note if you have troubles:

"Make sure you have Disabler.kext into your /System/Library/Extensions folder or /Extra/Extensions. It seems some users can't make sleep working with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext & SleepEnabler.kext working at the same time. Disabler.kext disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, so only SleepEnabler.kext is loaded and no more issues! "

I only installed his SleepEnabler and it worked perfectly for me... I couldn't believe it!

I have working sleep on my ud3p....it didnt work until I used chameleon rc4...i have no idea why it started working but it did. I run 10.6.2 and have sleepenabler.kext only in my extensions folder. My bios is f9... kexts i use are the latest fakesmc.kext, sleepenabler.kext....i boot with arch=i386 flag....

• 3 weeks later...

I also had the wake right after sleep problem. What solved it from me was to create a section for the sound device in the DSDT, it wasn't there by default. A simple:

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x000B0000)

}

should be enough. Make sure your actual sound device is at address B0000, and put the real address if it's different. Also, if you don't want AppleHDA.kext to load and try to drive the device (for example if you're using VoodooHDA instead), then name the device something other than HDEF.

Hope this helps.