Acer Aspire Revo Hackintosh?

85 posts in this topic

Aha, seems as if you have the same problems as I have. I am beginning to think that there is a difference between the various 3610 and 3600 motherboards with regard to USB. I take it that sleep is also not working on your machine since 10.6.2 - just a blank screen and a system hang?

It may be a kernel issue, in which case fixing it is beyond me, but I am persevering with a dsdt hack. Nothing has worked at the moment. I am going to try a dsdt extraction under Ubuntu where all my hardware works to see what SL is not detecting from the bios, otherwise I might just have to go back to 10.6.1 and lose the hyperthreading as this machine is a bit pointless without the usb ports working.

Hello again !

Do you have QE with HDMI output ?

I can do it, but as soon as i change the resolution, i get a blue screen without any icons. Same issue with VGA output ? :(

I think it is okay so far, but the Desktop is much too small on FullHD resolution to do anything else but watching movies :)

Well, this is what SysProf is reporting

post-259482-1259510723_thumb.jpg

QE is working OK.

As for the resolution thing - yes it seems to only like full 1080p if attached to my Panasonic. However, I did try changing it and then pulling out the hdmi cable and reattaching after the screen turned blue. I got it to stick on 720p eventually which was easier to work with from a distance. It seems to be a hdmi issue (not tried vga) as when you pull the cable out/in you can briefly see the actual screen underneath the blue.

I think I have made some headway on my usb woes. Changing the symbios.plist to Mac Mini instead of iMac and turning off legacy usb in the com.apple.Boot.plist (don't try that in the bios, whatever you do!) has improved matters somewhat.

I have replaced the Atheros card with a Broadcom 4321, now I have native Airport at 802.11n speed. Even better is the fact that I can now switch screen resolution without bluescreening.

These are the magic words in my boot.plist, shamelessly filched from another thread in here:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>debug=0x100</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>arch</key>

<string>x86</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>USBLegacyOff</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>VBIOS</key>

<string>yes</string>

</dict>

Doubt if the VBIOS key is the solution, since I have not extracted the graphics card ROM, so I suspect that maybe the usb was buggering up things, but I am not sure why.

Won't have time to play with the dsdt until the weekend, but I have spotted something that might work on the Revo to get rid of the stuttering on audio.

Ok, i have to try that VBIOS thing .

I have seen the fast USB working out then NOT after reboot, without changing anything.

I suspect the probe timeout.

When it works, system loads "com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver" kext and i can use USB Key.

by manualy loading IOUSBMassStorageClass, nothing hapens maybe a wrong bundle number...

still investigating.....

i installed voodooHDA 0.2.52 pkg and got more acces to tuning buttons in prefpane but sound is as bad as before but it is the best till now.

good luck to you SPLONK.

It is indeed the timing which is causing the HiSpeed USB to fail to load nine times out of ten, as the error messages on verbose mode bear out. I noted the USB Legacy issue on other threads with ION setups and it seems to be a common problem. Whatever, with that string in the plist, I have no problems with my USB any more, which is a relief.

As for screen resolution, all of these work on HDMI, both the TV modes and the normal display modes. On the display modes, the highest resolution available is 1600x900 on my 1080p TV, but a normal screen should give the full range.

I also noted somebody mentioning sleep problems if their video bios setting was at 256MB instead of 512MB. I think mine is still set to auto. I shall give that a tweak tonight and see what effect that has on sleep.

As for sound, there is a patched ALC662.kext knocking around, but it seems as if you will have to inject it via dsdt. I will have another go at pulling one out of Ubuntu at the weekend and seeing where it takes us. No chance of audio via HDMI in the short run, which is a pity.

Just to add my findings, I have been trying to boot off USB so far. Unless a DSDT fix is found USB booting is doomed to only work the 1 in 10 times due to the USB timings bug. Using the USBLegacyOff works however means Chameleon can't then load OS X from the USB drive as it needs the Legacy function to see it...

Also if you want to use the legacy USB patch you'll need a patched version of Chameleon which can be found in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197516

using the 'boot' file from ionitx_boot_zip in Neonkoala's link works fine with USB by setting USBLegacyOff to Yes in com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra.

i have been booting many times .I get every usb-key or cd-rom as i need it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Fist of all thank you all for sharing your experience with oneanother. Up to now I was able to get my r3610 up and running 10.6.2 and I'm pretty happy with the performance as I had to move from OSX to Windows 7 as I found a new job - so my r3610 is my way to keep the love to OSX alive...

What I am not happy with is I have no sound. With smbios.plist as MacPro3,1 audio was not available and as I changed to the settings of ionitx_boot_2 (MacMini3,1) I do have Intel High Definition Audio in my hardware overview. I integrated ALC662.kext and VoodooHDA.kext with the help of KEXT Helper but I don't get a tone out of the 3,5mm plug.

What have I done wrong?

Thank you in advance...

Sensibelchen from germany

First of all Happy new year everybody !

To Sensibelchen:

Try teh 'boot' file from ionitx_boot_zip, not the number 2 as you did.

I do not use ALC662.kext because it did not work with my R3610.

just try voodooHDA witch i mentionned in post #29. The sound is scratchy but usable as is.

Today i bought a USB key that gives very good sound, stereo only but very good quality-> no KEXT just plug and enjoy. It costs about 10 euros so ;)

Try to use 'pfix' to fix any bad permission in your system

that's it.

please tell us if it worked

to Splonk :

i have been using parted to get a DSDT file . it worked fine but i dont know how to go farther any idea ?

have you progressed ?

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I could know if there's any suitable method to run SL on Revo 3600.

I'm rookie and hoping get a complete tuto as simple as possible. Maybe using Empire Efi...

Anyone could help?

I only need to use USB devices (Keyboard, mouse and webcam if possible), VGA output, HDD, Ethernet and sound.

So if you have an easy and step by step method including software and hardware requierment it would help.

Thanks,

JJ (Sorry, broken english...).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a R1600, just got started yesterday. So far vanilla install, boots itself, but no sound no QE yet. Don't know if this will work for you but maybe it will get you started.

1. BIOS settings:

SATA = AHCI

Intel XB off

Hyper Threading off

Audio off

Ether off

2. Empire EFI 1.085 R2 Legacy boot CD. Regular 1.085 (not R2) worked too.

3. Install Snow Leopard DVD, format internal HDD with Mac Journal? (The very top one, the default option)

4. After installation, download myHack 1.0 RC5.2 (r93) and install it using standard install. The included myHack on the Empire EFI disc didn't work for me.

Now you should have a "usable" SL install that can boot directly. I have used superduper to do a backup before changing stuff, just incase.

Jerry

I wish I could know if there's any suitable method to run SL on Revo 3600.

I'm rookie and hoping get a complete tuto as simple as possible. Maybe using Empire Efi...

Anyone could help?

I only need to use USB devices (Keyboard, mouse and webcam if possible), VGA output, HDD, Ethernet and sound.

So if you have an easy and step by step method including software and hardware requierment it would help.

Thanks,

JJ (Sorry, broken english...).

I have a R1600, just got started yesterday. So far vanilla install, boots itself, but no sound no QE yet. Don't know if this will work for you but maybe it will get you started.

1. BIOS settings:

SATA = AHCI

Intel XB off

Hyper Threading off

Audio off

Ether off

2. Empire EFI 1.085 R2 Legacy boot CD. Regular 1.085 (not R2) worked too.

3. Install Snow Leopard DVD, format internal HDD with Mac Journal? (The very top one, the default option)

4. After installation, download myHack 1.0 RC5.2 (r93) and install it using standard install. The included myHack on the Empire EFI disc didn't work for me.

Now you should have a "usable" SL install that can boot directly. I have used superduper to do a backup before changing stuff, just incase.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

can I check do you mean the revo 3600 (not 1600?)

can you explain a bit more about the PCI root thing? I am a bit new to this but have installed successful hackintohses on eee-pc 901, dell mini (easy with the guide) and a pc tower I used with core2duo (and got QE grfx going there)

thanks!

batz

Hi all,

First post - I've just discovered these forums after playing around with my revo r3610 and hackintosh.

I posted step by step instructions on how I did it, but it sounds very similar to what others have done in this thread:

http://friedmboard.blogspot.com/2010/02/hack-attack.html

I more or less have everything working except wireless, intermittent USB and crackly/hissy sound. Curiously, the sound seems to better when the CPU is under load.

Detailed what I got working and how on my blog here: http://www.neonkoala.co.uk/component/conte...-x-snow-leopard

I have a Revo 3610 with the Atom 330 so I've got some details on how to fix hyperthreading among other things in your DSDT. I plan to update it should I find more information about the Wireless and HDMI audio.

I noticed that you added a 'Darwin' ID to your OSYS method to push all operating system-related DSDT changes to be forced as Vista.

If (LOr (_OSI ("Darwin"), _OSI ("Windows 2006")))
		{
			Store (0x15, Local0)
		}

Are you sure the code execution paths made by that decision are correct? It might not hurt to grep through your DSDT to evaluate what it is affected by it. Just my $0.02!

I noticed that you added a 'Darwin' ID to your OSYS method to push all operating system-related DSDT changes to be forced as Vista.

If (LOr (_OSI ("Darwin"), _OSI ("Windows 2006")))
		{
			Store (0x15, Local0)
		}

Are you sure the code execution paths made by that decision are correct? It might not hurt to grep through your DSDT to evaluate what it is affected by it. Just my $0.02!

I did this based on changes I found made to another Atom based system's DSDT, seemed to work fine for me (and them) but I can update it with a separate one for Darwin if you feel it would be a better idea for the majority.

Hi all,

First post - I've just discovered these forums after playing around with my revo r3610 and hackintosh.

I posted step by step instructions on how I did it, but it sounds very similar to what others have done in this thread:

http://friedmboard.blogspot.com/2010/02/hack-attack.html

I more or less have everything working except wireless, intermittent USB and crackly/hissy sound. Curiously, the sound seems to better when the CPU is under load.

I'm trying to get OS X up and running on my 3610 by following your simple steps to the letter, but I cannot even get the installer to boot. While it's starting up, the system hangs at "com.apple.applefscompressiontypezlib load succeeded". I can't find any info regarding this particular hang... so I'm stumped. Any suggestions, anyone?

Hello folks... First post to IM though have been using a Wind with OSX for about 18 months...

Just got a r3610 and using CuparMTB's method, now using OSX. A few things I've found...

• On the second 'go' with EFI I had to use the legacy disk or the USB DVD drive wouldn't mount. I then swapped disks and used MyHack from the non-legacy disk

• Audio through headphone socket 'scratchy/crackly' unless processor is kept busy

• Had a problem with USB stuff not working (though keyboard always worked). Was getting ready to tinker so changed the BIOS to try booting from USB first. Got distracted, came back and USB devices had started working fine. So on my systen it would appear that if the BIOS is set to try booting from USB first then the USBs all behave... Strange, but this might help find a proper solution

• I treid to be clever and pop in a 1390 wifi card (like in my Wind). Although this is recognised and controlled natively through OSX, on 10.6 it was slower than dial up. On 10.6.1 it has got faster, but still doesn't appear to be up to proper speed so I've shoved in a wired ethernet for the moment

Well, think that's about all I've come across so far... Haven't tried the hyperthreading DSDT thing as I haven't found a straightforward guide to DSDT tinkering and it's beyond my computing comfort zone at the moment...

Enjoy folks!

Hello folks... First post to IM though have been using a Wind with OSX for about 18 months...

Just got a r3610 and using CuparMTB's method, now using OSX. <snipped>

So you got CuparMTB's method to work? Man.. ;)

Maybe I'm having problems because my revo has the updated A4 bios? Or maybe my disc is bad?..

Is there a way to revert back to the original bios, "R01.A2"? I cant find it available online anywhere.

edit: fixed a typo