Acer Aspire Revo Hackintosh?

85 posts in this topic

I booted with Rebel EFi on CdRW then SL DVD .

So if psystar can do it i think someone can too with PCEFI & Chameleon no ?

my bios :

Sata Controler : Enabled

Sata Mode: AHCI

Onbord USB controler : Enabled

legacy USB : Enabled

USB storage : Auto

Onboard audio controler :Disabled

Onboard LAN : Disabled for install then Enabled

Lan option ROM : Disabled

Intel XD Bit : Disabled then enabled next reboot with SL on HD

HTT disabled

my bios :

HTT disabled

The key thing that was stopping my USB image of the Snow Leopard install was having the USB Storage set to Hard disk rather than Auto. Also it had to have the boot argument 'arch=i386' to put it in x32 mode. Unfortunately it's not installing to my USB HDD, I think this is due to it being a bit knackered as I've had other problems with it so I'll empty out the internal drive at some point and try a SATA install.

my bios :

HTT disabled

looks like you've made the most progress with the Revo than anyone else I can find online, could you make a guide possibly that we could slowly start to tweak and perfect?

I have installed without Rebel EFI, but there are still plenty of hurdles to overcome. USB is now working after initially refusing to play ball.

Currently looking at solving the crackly sound I get with VoodooHDA and hopefully through HDMI as I currently only get the Analog input and output and presumably the SP/DIF (two digital ports) output ports recognised at present.

Well done Splonk

@Chase M i think i am going to stop digging on the Rebel EFI way .

Splonk hase done it right.

So Splonk you said you installed pfix in place of dsdt ... can you explain or write a little guide please ? cause i dont have USB stick but an image of SL in a partition on the HD or the Install DVD .

thanks in advance

Well done Splonk

@Chase M i think i am going to stop digging on the Rebel EFI way .

Splonk hase done it right.

So Splonk you said you installed pfix in place of dsdt ... can you explain or write a little guide please ? cause i dont have USB stick but an image of SL in a partition on the HD or the Install DVD .

thanks in advance

It doesn't really matter. Just grab a copy of MyHackInstaller and install that over your SL partition. It will install Chameleon RC3 and pfix. Both are available here if you prefer to do this manually. If your MyHackInstaller installation fails to complete, you need only install the boot0 and boot1h parts of Chameleon manually

i.e. fdisk -f boot0 - u -y /dev/rdiskX

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsX

For the record, booting in verbose mode helps avoid the 'waiting for root device' hangs.

Bad news is that 10.6.1 killed my installation. It hung after failing to load the Atheros driver. Reinstalling and seeing what went wrong there. It may have been down to the bluetooth dongle I was using as that failed to load properly.

Just be aware that stability on this platform is still a real issue, so don't expect this to be anything but a hobby installation for now.

[Edit: Have updated to 10.6.2 successfully using patched kernel. Hyperthreading is now working. Sleep is no longer working, even with the new Sleepenabler.kext. Other shortcomings as already mentioned still exist.]

Thank you

i already had a try whith this method but it did not work -_-

but sure i will retry next week-end cause i want to understand what was wrong .

Did you do something special to/in the bios ?

Thank you

i already had a try whith this method but it did not work :P

but sure i will retry next week-end cause i want to understand what was wrong .

Did you do something special to/in the bios ?

Nothing special. Just set the SATA mode appropriately. Remember no HT before 10.6.2 so switch it off. USB was set to auto for storage mode. I don't think it makes a difference either way. Make sure your eSATA cable is pushed in snugly or you will get the 'waiting for root device' error message on boot. I got that several times until the first time that SATA showed up in Disk Utility. I was resigned to just installing on an external USB drive up till then.

Guest Hefisots73

This is my third Acer from PLE and never had an issue with either. Tried to justify the difference between the eeepc and the Aspire and just couldnt at the price. Will see how it goes any way.

Hey Folks !

Go to google for "Empire EFI". It is an open source based, free Boorloader for almost any Intel based PC. The new Version supports Nvidia Chipsets and i am going to give it a try i think...

Did not get Chameleon 2.0 boot up my Snow Leopard DVD on the Revo R3600 by now...

It gets stuck at "NullCPUPowerManagement::init:: when i start with "cpus=1 -v -f"

Any Ideas ?

Let´s get this one done NOW !

Hey Folks !

Go to google for "Empire EFI". It is an open source based, free Boorloader for almost any Intel based PC. The new Version supports Nvidia Chipsets and i am going to give it a try i think...

Did not get Chameleon 2.0 boot up my Snow Leopard DVD on the Revo R3600 by now...

It gets stuck at "NullCPUPowerManagement::init:: when i start with "cpus=1 -v -f"

Any Ideas ?

You need to ditch the cpus=1 flag and just disable hyperthreading then remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or use a disabler.kext.

You need to ditch the cpus=1 flag and just disable hyperthreading then remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or use a disabler.kext.

Thanks a lot !

R3600 works perfectly now. The only Problem is that i don´t have sound and QE via HDMI...

HTT works with the 10.6.2 kernel :)

Thanks again

Hey Folks !

Any Ideas ?

tried Version 1.07R2 and Version 1.07R2 [Legacy] ... none booted

Splonk's method is working... for my aspire revo 3610

tried Version 1.07R2 and Version 1.07R2 [Legacy] ... none booted

Splonk's method is working... for my aspire revo 3610

Hello !

1.07R2 will start up, if you disable HTT and set the Graphics memory to "auto". No Problem after that with 10.6.2 and vanilla kernel... :(

Do you know anything about HDMI 1080p with Quartz Extreme enabled ?

I can "only" do VGA 1080p until now...

Hello !

1.07R2 will start up, if you disable HTT and set the Graphics memory to "auto". No Problem after that with 10.6.2 and vanilla kernel... :)

Do you know anything about HDMI 1080p with Quartz Extreme enabled ?

I can "only" do VGA 1080p until now...

HTT was disabled and i NEVER touched Graphics memory settings so it is auto.

it seems like R3610 does not react as R3600 good luck for you :) not for me :)

i've just updated to 10 6 2 following Splonk's way and it work so now let's get that audio !

HTT was disabled and i NEVER touched Graphics memory settings so it is auto.

it seems like R3610 does not react as R3600 good luck for you :( not for me ;)

i've just updated to 10 6 2 following Splonk's way and it work so now let's get that audio !

amazing guys! this is a great spec machine and so cheap. less than 200 euro in UK for the dual core Ion version with eSATA and HDMI and optical digital audio (behind the sticker, IIRC?) with amazing low power footprint and VESA mounting

good vibes to future progress :)

amazing guys! this is a great spec machine and so cheap. less than 200 euro in UK for the dual core Ion version with eSATA and HDMI and optical digital audio (behind the sticker, IIRC?) with amazing low power footprint and VESA mounting

good vibes to future progress :)

Yeah you´re right with that !

VoodooHDA can to the trick regarding Audio but - Sometimes it stutters and playback gets horrible :)

The good thing is that work is beeing done on that... Maybe it´s ok for christmas :D

By the way:

OSX cuda acceleration seems to be nearly PERFECT for an ion device, it is superfast for me ! :)

@psly:

Did you set SATA to AHCI mode and format your Hard Drive on GUID ?

Good luck for you !

@psly:

Did you set SATA to AHCI mode and format your Hard Drive on GUID ?

Good luck for you !

Yes SATA is set to AHCI and i formated HD on GUID but Empire EFI has a black and white picture and verbose boot write with white ink on white background so i can't see what is happening while booting.

Yesterday i tried the 3 versions of V108 but same results i can't go to begining of OS Install

hello !

gone back to SPLONK's method.

installed chameleon on USB restored OS install key

installed SL on internal HD after booting on that key

updated to 10.6.2 with mach_kernelatom64

installed voodoohda for sound

QE working

i have got video+sound+ethernet+USB keyboard+USB mouse but i cannot see other USB devices

any idea someone ?

:rolleyes:

hello !

gone back to SPLONK's method.

installed chameleon on USB restored OS install key

installed SL on internal HD after booting on that key

updated to 10.6.2 with mach_kernelatom64

installed voodoohda for sound

QE working

i have got video+sound+ethernet+USB keyboard+USB mouse but i cannot see other USB devices

any idea someone ?

:(

Aha, seems as if you have the same problems as I have. I am beginning to think that there is a difference between the various 3610 and 3600 motherboards with regard to USB. I take it that sleep is also not working on your machine since 10.6.2 - just a blank screen and a system hang?

It may be a kernel issue, in which case fixing it is beyond me, but I am persevering with a dsdt hack. Nothing has worked at the moment. I am going to try a dsdt extraction under Ubuntu where all my hardware works to see what SL is not detecting from the bios, otherwise I might just have to go back to 10.6.1 and lose the hyperthreading as this machine is a bit pointless without the usb ports working.