8 Core Hackintosh Parts

11 posts in this topic

Howdy. I have been looking at buidling a Hackintosh for quite a while now. I ma looking at using the flowing parts, any one had experience using. Thanks for the input.

SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DAH+-F-O Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 Extended ATX Dual Intel Xeon 5500 sequence

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813182177

Intel Xeon W3520 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Server Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819117213

mushkin 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 998585

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820226040

BFG Tech BFGEGTX2852048OCE GeForce GTX 285 2GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143193

cuz building your own is a more enjoyable thing to do

Yeah but its just not worth the cost. Once you get into that 1500-2000 dollar range, its not worth the cost over a real mac. Especially a Mac Pro. Its only fun troubleshooting incompatibilities when you know you're saving yourself money/because you can't afford a real mac.

Like when back in the 70's if you wanted Bose 901 speakers but couldn't afford them you would build them yourself and tweak them until they sounded good, but if you could afford them you bought them because there was nothing like the real thing. Its the same when it comes to a Mac. Theres nothing like the real thing :(

Last time I price one of the new Mac Pro's with the new Nahalem chips it was around $6500 for the 2.66ghz and 12 gigs of ram and only one hard drive. I have seen a lot of people are just doing a single quad core chip with the X58 mobo. Is there a great advantage speading the extra 1500 for a dual chip set up or just sticking with a quad core and with a mobo that you know people have gotten to work. I am going to be doing video editing with Final Cut and also running Pro Tools on it as well.

I don't think you understand... Have you ever owned a real Mac? You may think "my custom build is gonna be fine, no worries with compatibilities it'll be perfect" etc etc, but it's honestly isn't plain sailing. There's always at least one issue (sound not working fully, worries about Software Update).

If I had as much money as you, I'd get a real one NO question - you will get 100% compatibility AND great support from Apple! Not to mention meticulously designed hardware.

BTW, a basic Mac Pro is only $2,499... And I'm aware Apple overcharges for any upgrade ($100 for a DVD/RW drive?!).

Thus, if I were you, buy it minimally configured for $2499. Then add your own hardware. You can stick your 2nd Xeon in there, more RAM and HDD no problem at all - AND at a fraction of the cost. Plus you still get your satisfaction from building. Oh, and you can sell your unwanted bits like the retail Geforce for a small fortune!

I own 8 real Macs, and have built a couple of osx86 machines also.

I don't think you understand... Have you ever owned a real Mac? You may think "my custom build is gonna be fine, no worries with compatibilities it'll be perfect" etc etc, but it's honestly isn't plain sailing. There's always at least one issue (sound not working fully, worries about Software Update).

If I had as much money as you, I'd get a real one NO question - you will get 100% compatibility AND great support from Apple! Not to mention meticulously designed hardware.

BTW, a basic Mac Pro is only $2,499... And I'm aware Apple overcharges for any upgrade ($100 for a DVD/RW drive?!).

Thus, if I were you, buy it minimally configured for $2499. Then add your own hardware. You can stick your 2nd Xeon in there, more RAM and HDD no problem at all - AND at a fraction of the cost. Plus you still get your satisfaction from building. Oh, and you can sell your unwanted bits like the retail Geforce for a small fortune!

I own 8 real Macs, and have built a couple of osx86 machines also.

Let's all go out and buy one! I mean dropping 2k-6k in cash is great when there is a downed economy! Forget rent and food! My Mac can do all that and more!!

jester.gif

Let's all go out and buy one! I mean dropping 2k-6k in cash is great when there is a downed economy! Forget rent and food! My Mac can do all that and more!!

jester.gif

I'm guessing that was sarcasm... But why aimed at me :D ? I don't throw a few thousand towards a new computer, but the OP has a huge budget by the sound of it. If he's able to spend that much, lucky him. I was just suggesting the most efficient method so he gets the most for his money.

I spent £300 on mine (less than $500).

I've got to agree; an Apple Mac Pro will be a vastly superior computing experience that will let you get right down to work without the headaches and hours of trouble-shooting. And, from a purely financial standpoint, the resale value for the Mac Pro will also be higher than any other computer manufacturer by an order of magnitude. It will be a smarter investment by far. Several years down the road when you decide to trade up, you'll net a premium return on a used Mac Pro. A bucket of parts in a no-name case will be worth nada at market.

I spent just under $400 total on my Hackintosh, including the cost of the extra retail copy of the OS. (I have owned several Macs going back to the days of OS6.) It was primarily done as a proof of concept, the thrill of really digging into Unix and because I simply can't afford a new Mac tower at the moment. Now if Apple just made a $1,200 desktop with a couple of pci slots and more than two RAM slots, I'd retire my little Hack-in-the-box and turn it into a littel media center.

• 1 year later...

Are you certain you can add a second processor to the single processor configuration? Does Apple use the same motherboard for both configurations? This might seem like a dumb question but I've seen manufacturer who use the same circuit board for two configurations and intentionally disable any upgrade ability. For example, I recall a motherboard in a DEC computer (remember Digital?) that had the card slots filled with goop because that model was not upgradable. Is there a socket for a second processor on the Mac Pro motherboard? For that matter, is it possible to upgrade the original processor? If the answer to that first question is Yes, then I absolutely agree the best approach is to buy a real Mac Pro and upgrade it yourself.

By the way, if you don't need the latest, greatest hardware, just troll eBay for a bargain. Tonight I saw an 8-core older Mac Pro with a Buy It Now price under $1400. It used the 5300 Xeon (Cloverdale?), which is really 2 dual core die in the same package pretending to be quad core, but for $1400 that's a great Mac!