Dell E520 Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Install Guide

wmarsh

102 posts in this topic

screenshot20091031at235.png

Running 10.6.

Deleted NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from /Extra.

Also I got fakeSMC.kext (V2) from Netkas, though I don't know if that made a difference or not because I added it after deleting NullCPUPM.

Also, any time I boot into Snow Leo, the BIOS Setting for Diskette Drive is set to internal, which results in me not being able to boot until I change it back to Off. Kind of annoying, but oh well.

Looks like I might have slow access to the WD5000 (SATA1).

EDIT: Yeah, slow access to SATA1 is really annoying me, can't be doing with that, so back on Leo for now. Would appreciate some advice, as I thought blkhockey's DSDT should've fixed that (though, I thought slow access only happened with SATA4 and SATA5. Apparently not).

Tried swapping the SATA connectors to see if it made any difference, wouldn't boot from SATA1 as previously mentioned.

screenshot20091031at235.png

Running 10.6.

Also I got fakeSMC.kext (V2) from Netkas, though I don't know if that made a difference or not because I added it after deleting NullCPUPM.

Also, any time I boot into Snow Leo, the BIOS Setting for Diskette Drive is set to internal, which results in me not being able to boot until I change it back to Off. Kind of annoying, but oh well.

EDIT: Yeah, slow access to SATA1 is really annoying me, can't be doing with that, so back on Leo for now. Would appreciate some advice, as I thought blkhockey's DSDT should've fixed that (though, I thought slow access only happened with SATA4 and SATA5. Apparently not).

Tried swapping the SATA connectors to see if it made any difference, wouldn't boot from SATA1 as previously mentioned.

Our DSDT's are not compatible unfortunately because your hardware is older (older e520 model I guess). You're going to have to edit your DSDT yourself. Look back on the topic, I posted a link to the DSDT fix for slow disk access. For the BIOS reset, search CMOS reset fix. Netkas had a post on his blog, its an extremely simple fix =)

That's weird because your DSDT works perfectly fine with my Leopard install.

I thought it might result in me having to edit DSDTs myself, but didn't want to; it looks pretty complicated.

Yeah, I've been reading for hours but don't understand where or why my DSDT is wrong, and how I can fix it for my hardware...

Any chance you could help, blkhockey? (a)

Drag Intel82566MM and VoodooHDA kexts to /Snow/Sys/Lib/Ext (Note: mine is Intel82566MM.kext; is this right? wmarsh's guide has no MM on the end. Can someone please link me to the exact kext, considering there are three or four on that page)

The link on the 1st post is to the 64 bit Intel82566MM.kext; thats the one I use.

i.e. no Chameleon 1.

I think you need Chameleon 2 to make Snow Leopard work.

Hm, weird, getting slow access to SATA1 (ST31), WD5000 (boot drive) is on SATA0.

Rebooted. No such problems. Weird.

Yes, weird, I don't know why. Is your BIOS in the RAID0 setting?

Again, reboots as soon as it tries to go into GUI. Just realised how stupid I'm being trying to boot with no extra graphics kexts/EFI strings. Gonna try getting the 7300LE in.

No luck with the 7300LE kexts I used to use.

Now I've used OSX86Tools to generate an EFI string. Let's give that a go.

I have 9400GT and used OSX86Tools just like you did.

But if you do no graphics, you probably will just get VESA mode. (I still do in Leopard as my 9400GT duplicates images under Leopard if I enable it.)

EDIT: Oh for goodness sake, I really should pay more attention to what I'm reading.

Just re-read the first page and discovered cullumsmith, who was also on a Pentium 4, had issues. wmarsh is on a C2D.

So I tried a custom kernel, it now boots and I can get into verbose, but it hangs after a few minutes.

There's a mention of CPUPowerManagement, which might be what cullumsmith saw too, so I've PMed him.

(The exact line is

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - WaitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out. )

I think deleting that kext worked for cullumsmith

Running 10.6.

Good show.

Mine did that screwy boot thing until I tried blkhockeypro's DSDT.

Our DSDT's are not compatible unfortunately because your hardware is older (older e520 model I guess). You're going to have to edit your DSDT yourself. Look back on the topic, I posted a link to the DSDT fix for slow disk access. For the BIOS reset, search CMOS reset fix. Netkas had a post on his blog, its an extremely simple fix =)

Maybe you can teach us all this DSDT thing. I read the post you linked, and I think its beyond me.

That's weird because your DSDT works perfectly fine with my Leopard install.

I thought it might result in me having to edit DSDTs myself, but didn't want to; it looks pretty complicated.

Yeah, I've been reading for hours but don't understand where or why my DSDT is wrong, and how I can fix it for my hardware...

Any chance you could help, blkhockey? (a)

I feel the same way about DSDT.

The link on the 1st post is to the 64 bit Intel82566MM.kext; thats the one I use.

I think you need Chameleon 2 to make Snow Leopard work.

Yes, weird, I don't know why. Is your BIOS in the RAID0 setting?

I have 9400GT and used OSX86Tools just like you did.

But if you do no graphics, you probably will just get VESA mode. (I still do in Leopard as my 9400GT duplicates images under Leopard if I enable it.)

I think deleting that kext worked for cullumsmith

Good show.

Mine did that screwy boot thing until I tried blkhockeypro's DSDT.

Maybe you can teach us all this DSDT thing. I read the post you linked, and I think its beyond me.

I feel the same way about DSDT.

Busy doing a project today. (I'm only 15 so I'm kinda busy with school) I'll try to help you guys with DSDT soon. I might make an e520 guide for ATA mode, and link to this guide for those who want AHCI....if you don't mind vmarsh =)

Networking and graphics �€” in fact, everything, including audio �€” works perfectly on Snow Leo. Except slow SATA1 access.

I didn't even have to give myself an IP, auto-DHCP worked perfectly for me.

Would appreciate the guide, but I've been running in 'Raid On' mode (assuming that's RAID0). :\

And I'm 16, also busy with school, but we're on half term at the minute, hence me cramming a load of Snow Leo in this week.

Hopefully I can find time to do this DSDT next weekend or whenever possible. Just don't understand it anywhere near enough at the minute. Appreciate any help. :rolleyes:

Edit: Booting into Autodetect (AHCI?) mode results in a Kernel Panic almost instantly.

'AppleIntelICHxSATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled.'

Only kext backtraced was com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily.

Speaking of AHCI mode, how is it decided if your OS will run in AHCI mode or RAID0? Is there any way for me to change?

Also, strangely, on my third ever boot into SL, I got the issue where I was connected to the network (i.e. could see other devices from the router) but was not connected to the internet. Network diagnostics said the failure lay at the ISP.

Oh, and a little quirk I've found: I can't boot into SL if my USB Bluetooth dongle is plugged in.

Busy doing a project today. (I'm only 15 so I'm kinda busy with school) I'll try to help you guys with DSDT soon. I might make an e520 guide for ATA mode, and link to this guide for those who want AHCI....if you don't mind vmarsh =)

I don't mind at all; I appreciate your help.

Edit: Booting into Autodetect (AHCI?) mode results in a Kernel Panic almost instantly.

'AppleIntelICHxSATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled.'

Only kext backtraced was com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily.

Speaking of AHCI mode, how is it decided if your OS will run in AHCI mode or RAID0? Is there any way for me to change?

This happens for me as well. Check out my l33t screenshot here: HERE - Does it look like yours?

Also, I've followed this guide and it works great for me with .6.0 on RAID mode, but I can't upgrade to .6.1.

When I boot into my external version of 10.6.0 and apply the 10.6.1 update, I lose ICH8R support.

While booted into the external drive, I've re-installed rc3, backed up all of my kexts from the 10.6.0 version, but still no ICH8 support.

My /Extra/Extensions folder looks like this:

• AHCIPortInjector.kext
  • ATAPortInjector.kext
  • ATA4800Controller.kext (modified for mah 4850)
  • CPUInjector.kext
  • Disabler.kext
  • EVOenabler.kext
  • fakesmc.kext
  • Intel82566MM.kext
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
  • JMicronATAInjector.kext
  • NullPCUPowerManagement.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext
  • SleepEnabler.kext

I'm not sure how I lost support, but I certainly can't see any internal drives. Meh.

Anyone else have this problem?

Yep that's the same as what I get, from memory.

Installed via .mpkg on Leopard which was using Raid On. I'm not sure if that would make a difference, but I assumed it would and didn't expect it to work anyway.

Not tried upgrading to 10.6.1 yet, thought it would be safe to do so considering it doesn't change anything kernel-wise or much kext-wise. Don't see why you lost ICH8R support unless we're getting ICH8R from an extension in /Sys/Lib/Ext, not in /Ext/Ext. You have the right kexts, from what I can see.

Tried reinstalling the kexts/repairing permissions on /Extra ?

I'm having a problem with constant rebooting after the install on my e520. The install went fine and all steps were followed. 10.5.2 kaly is running fine for me.

I've tried all of the various switches, etc - cpus=1,arch=i386, etc.

Prior to rebooting snow leopard boots without any errors on the screen with the -v switch. I'm using the mach_kernel.

Thanks for any help!

I'm having a problem with constant rebooting after the install on my e520. The install went fine and all steps were followed. 10.5.2 kaly is running fine for me.

I've tried all of the various switches, etc - cpus=1,arch=i386, etc.

Prior to rebooting snow leopard boots without any errors on the screen with the -v switch. I'm using the mach_kernel.

Thanks for any help!

What CPU do u have?

99% sure heistsj has a Pentium D.

You need a patched kernel.

sounds about right. sorry man, you cant run vanilla with that CPU. once again for all the still waiting for root device errors using my guide, I apologize. Im am trying to figure out how to get ApplePIIXATAFamily.kext to load properly WITHOUT my DSDT. thats why included it, it may work for some, but others it will most likely not work for. As soon as I figure out why ICH8R isnt loading the snow leopard patched ATA kext without DSDT, I'll post back and everything will be updated. Once again I apologize.

Yep, same as me, heists.

Used the patched kernel I linked to.

Just delete the one in your Snow Leopard partition and put that one in its place.

Have to warn you, the DSDT.aml provided by blkhockey doesn't work for our CPU for some reason — you'll have slow access to other SATA ports.

Update to 10.6.2

Update instructions for 10.6.2

Well, guys, we don't have real Macs, so if you just punch software update, it bricks this install.

You get a kernel panic traceable to dsmos.kext

The fix is easy.

1) Download fakeSMCv2 from Netkas' blog. Put it into /Extra/Extensions

While you are there, download the new SleepEnabler.kext and install it to /Extra/Extensions

(blkhockeypro19 -- perhaps this will fix your sleep problem.)

2) delete dsmos.kext from /Extra/Extensions

3) Repair permissions in /Extra/Extensions

4) Then do Software Update.

If you are like me and did Software Update before reading directions, just boot into your Leopard install, make these mods, then reboot with -f -v the 1st time.

I had a perfect install of SL running on my Dell Studio 14z. Everyhing was working fine (Tanks to everyone on this board), Audio, BT, Display, Ethernet, WiFi, Shutdown, everything I needed. Then 10.6.2 came along and broke it. I no longer have sound, BT nor WiFi. Ethernet still work. It there a way to revert. I was about to do a back up using carbon copy when I tried to shut down my pc I noticed it was taking an update. I was not sure what is was but I had to wait for it to finish. When things stopped working I took a look at "About this Mac" and noticed that it said 10.6.2. Hoow did that happen? Does mac do auto updates? now it seems like I have to start all over.

Can anyone help?

I had a perfect install of SL running on my Dell Studio 14z. Everyhing was working fine (Tanks to everyone on this board), Audio, BT, Display, Ethernet, WiFi, Shutdown, everything I needed. Then 10.6.2 came along and broke it. I no longer have sound, BT nor WiFi. Ethernet still work. It there a way to revert. I was about to do a back up using carbon copy when I tried to shut down my pc I noticed it was taking an update. I was not sure what is was but I had to wait for it to finish. When things stopped working I took a look at "About this Mac" and noticed that it said 10.6.2. Hoow did that happen? Does mac do auto updates? now it seems like I have to start all over.

Can anyone help?

If 10.6.2 runs, but you have issues with devices, I would search for fixes for those issues. Many devices only work because of hacks someone has come up with; updates can break these.

If you reinstall, you can turn off software update.

E520 has sufficiently different hardware that I can't help you with devices.

You might try this thread; it discusses your laptop.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175003

Yep, same as me, heists.

Used the patched kernel I linked to.

Just delete the one in your Snow Leopard partition and put that one in its place.

Have to warn you, the DSDT.aml provided by blkhockey doesn't work for our CPU for some reason �" you'll have slow access to other SATA ports.

I've tried the patch and got farther.

Now I get:

Waiting for boot volume with UUID...

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IO.....

I've tried with Raid On and SATA as Auto but no dice.

Thanks thusfar though!!!! You guys rock!

I've tried the patch and got farther.

Now I get:

Waiting for boot volume with UUID...

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IO.....

I've tried with Raid On and SATA as Auto but no dice.

Thanks thusfar though!!!! You guys rock!

Are you installing on 1st HDD (SATA1)?

It took me a long time to realize my root disk problem was I was installing on 2nd HDD.

Are you installing on 1st HDD (SATA1)?

It took me a long time to realize my root disk problem was I was installing on 2nd HDD.

Yes, I only have 1 SATA HDD and 1 SATA DVD-RW drive. Do I need a different DSDT.aml?

Yes, I only have 1 SATA HDD and 1 SATA DVD-RW drive. Do I need a different DSDT.aml?

I wonder if I need to specify my drive rd(x,x)?

I wonder if I need to specify my drive rd(x,x)?

Well if your E520 is untouched from Dell, it should be SATA1. I would open it up and look, because that is easy to do. The ports are clearly labeled on the motherboard, although the print is small.

I do not recall having to specify the drive.

blkhockeypro19 knows alot more about dsdt than I do. He says its easy, but then the explanations are over my head. But I only added the dsdt fix after I already got the system working. SATA1 ran fine without it. It was the other ports that were slow. You could just not use dsdt for now -- add it later after the disk works.

I know if you haven't fixed permissions in /Extra/Extensions, the injector won't enable ICH8R. And of course if you did not add those files from Chameleon to /Extra/Extensions, the injector won't be there. You could try reinstalling Chameleon 2, including the kexts to /Extra/Extensions. Then repair permissions (as root from the /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions type:

chown -R root:wheel ./*.kext

chmod -R 755 ./*.kext

Good luck.

Well if your E520 is untouched from Dell, it should be SATA1. I would open it up and look, because that is easy to do. The ports are clearly labeled on the motherboard, although the print is small.

I do not recall having to specify the drive.

blkhockeypro19 knows alot more about dsdt than I do. He says its easy, but then the explanations are over my head. But I only added the dsdt fix after I already got the system working. SATA1 ran fine without it. It was the other ports that were slow. You could just not use dsdt for now -- add it later after the disk works.

I know if you haven't fixed permissions in /Extra/Extensions, the injector won't enable ICH8R. And of course if you did not add those files from Chameleon to /Extra/Extensions, the injector won't be there. You could try reinstalling Chameleon 2, including the kexts to /Extra/Extensions. Then repair permissions (as root from the /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions type:

chown -R root:wheel ./*.kext

chmod -R 755 ./*.kext

Good luck.

Thanks. I repaired permissions and put back /Extra/Extensions multiple times. I could try the Chameleon reinstall. Also, prior to installation I did not set the permission (whatever the flag is) on the partition...It is Ignore...something. I wonder if that could be part of my problem.

Are you sure your HDD is in the SATA1 port though?

You can see which is in which port via the BIOS. No need to open up the case.

I'll check. Case is open anyway so I'll look. The ports should be the way they came from Dell.