Vanilla install on Dell Vostro 1510 - 1520

Jason Parks

218 posts in this topic

@Jason: Vostro 1520, Nov/Dec 09.

Also, now you mention it, no I don't have the trackpad prefpane showing...

I could've sworn I did before. Unless I'm thinking of Leopard...

Either way, the main concern for me is the Keyboard.prefpane and modifier keys.

For the trackpad the best is to keep the prefpanes of the tutorial.

last news: Kernel panic after update ... Let's go for another installation !

The kernel panic is PROBABLY do to sleepenabler.kext in /Extras/Extensions remove it and the caches and rerun kext tool

Was hast du im Moment, sophio? Es soll nur 1440x900 sein, weiß ich soweit.

Oder meinst du, dass du 1440x900 willst aber nicht hast? Es soll automatisch 1440x900 anzeigen, aber manchmal ist das nicht der Fall, und ich weiß nicht genau warum, aber mir kommt vor, dass reinstallieren, es reparieren wird.

Oder vielleicht wirds so einfach wie nur im System Preferences gehen, dann Displays, und 1440x900 auswählen, doch ich nehme an, dass du das schon versucht hast...

edit: bloody BBCode forums. I'm sure you can guess what the characters are supposed to be. :star_smile:

Translation: What have you got at the minute, sophio? As far as I know, it should only be 1440x900.

Or do you mean that you want 1440x900 but don't have it? It should automatically display at 1440x900, but sometimes that's not the case, and I don't know why... but it seems reinstalling SL fixes it.

Or, it may be as simple as going into Sys Prefs > Displays, and choosing 1440x900 from the list, but I'm assuming you already tried that.

Sophio's reply (below): at the moment, I've got a resolution of 1280x800, which is also the highest I can set it to...

Hmm, wäre es unpraktisch, SL zu wiederinstallieren?

Ich glaube, dass das für mich gerepariert hast.

ansonsten, weiß ich nicht, was du machen könntest. Ich habe keine unterschieden in meine installs gesehen, die vielleicht die verursacher sein könnte.

Auch, hast du noch das 10.6.2 Update installiert? vielleicht wird das etwas anders machen.

The {censored} is going on with my accented characters and this forum?

Translation: Hmm, would it be impractical to reinstall SL?

Reinstalling fixed the problem for me.

Other than that, I don't know what you can do... I didn't see any differences or possible causes in my installs.

Have you installed the 10.6.2 update yet? That might do something.

I´m still on 10.6.

How can I update to 10.6.2 without kernel panic?

maybe I have to install a other kext for the NV 9300m?..

I tried to start with "grapics mode" = "1440x900x32@75", but it didn`t change anything.

Another question:

have anybody a running sleep mode? and how?

Vanilla update works fine, if I remember rightly... You'll need to run the bc43_enabler.sh (or whatever it is) again.

No, you don't need to do anything else, and starting with the boot flag won't make a difference.

Reinstall or update.

And nope, sleep won't work for us yet, as far as we know. ;)

So I realised I'm gonna need ethernet capabilities over the next week or so while I'm at my Dad's, who doesn't have a wireless router. Out of boredom and lack of sleep, I decided to take a look to see how ethernet worked for the 1520 in Leopard, in order to see if there was any remote possibility of getting ethernet any time soon in Snow Leopard. But I didn't expect it to be this easy...

I found that ethernet in Leopard used the RealtekR1000.kext. I simply searched for a Snow Leopard version of this, and found a few, all resulting in dead links. But I soon got a copy. Not expecting it to work, assuming someone else had already tried, I installed and rebooted... and voila... Ethernet has showed up in Sys Pref, though I haven't actually tested it yet.

Clearly you guys aren't trying very hard. ;D

tl;dr: I have ethernet working in 10.6.2.

Here is the necessary kext.

edit: at my dad's. Can confirm ethernet works well, but turns out my Dad does have wireless! Still needed the ethernet to help connect it up though, but it's working now and we have working ethernet, so all is good. :)

Folks,

I have a Dell Vostro 1520, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 9300M GS, 320 GB disk that was previously running Leopard 10.5.7 just fine. Today I wiped the drive, GUID partitioned into 2 partitions of 160 GB each for windows and OSX and installed SL on the OSX partition. The initial installation rebooted with 12 minutes left for some reason, so I reinstalled SL after deselecting the printers/fonts and language packs. SL installed fine and I got the success screen. However I cannot for the life of me get the darn machine to boot. The GUI is stuck with the apple with the round thingy below. Booting in verbose mode/safe mode and single user mode always gets stuck at the same place. This is the last few lines before the boot process fails:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

I left the computer for a while hoping that it would go on but even after leaving it overnight, I'm still stuck.

HELP!

Folks,

I have a Dell Vostro 1520, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 9300M GS, 320 GB disk that was previously running Leopard 10.5.7 just fine. Today I wiped the drive, GUID partitioned into 2 partitions of 160 GB each for windows and OSX and installed SL on the OSX partition. The initial installation rebooted with 12 minutes left for some reason, so I reinstalled SL after deselecting the printers/fonts and language packs. SL installed fine and I got the success screen. However I cannot for the life of me get the darn machine to boot. The GUI is stuck with the apple with the round thingy below. Booting in verbose mode/safe mode and single user mode always gets stuck at the same place. This is the last few lines before the boot process fails:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

I left the computer for a while hoping that it would go on but even after leaving it overnight, I'm still stuck.

HELP!

I forgot to mention that the verbose startup indicates the system is starting up in 64 bit mode and not 32 bit. Could this be the reason for my startup failures?

Thanks

IJ

I had the same issues — almost exactly the same — try booting from the SnowBoot CD for the first boot. You'll need to do this (almost?) every time you make any changes to your kext folders... It seems a bit temperamental to start with, but mine has been stable for a good while now. Try having a read of the last few pages, I probably said something similar with a lot more detail.

I had the same issues — almost exactly the same — try booting from the SnowBoot CD for the first boot. You'll need to do this (almost?) every time you make any changes to your kext folders... It seems a bit temperamental to start with, but mine has been stable for a good while now. Try having a read of the last few pages, I probably said something similar with a lot more detail.

@Dr Vox:

You're right, I noticed that the system would fire up the DVD just before hanging, so I popped in the install DVD just before choosing the OSX drive under chameleon. The system finally boot and I replaced the kexts. However my NVidia 9300M GS is not recognized and OSX thinks I have only 32MB of video RAM :) .

I'm downloading update 10.6.2, hopefully that will fix the problem.

Thanks for your help

IJ

Update: Installed 10.6.2 and now my graphics card works!! YES, now onto getting the battery meter....

@Sophio: 1440 x 900. DVD player launches fine which means the QI/QE thingy is working too!

@Dr. Vox: Funny after updating to 10.6.2, I lost the external USB mouse and was having trouble connecting to the internet, Safari kept saying no connection to the internet but I was able to ping my wireless router just fine. Was expecting the worst but one reboot later things are back to normal!! :)

For some reason I cannot get the system to display the battery meter. The check box to display the battery status (under System Preferences/Energy) unchecks itself as soon as I check it. Looks like I will have to unload and reload the Vodoo power kexts again.

Finally I have to get to the dual boot beast, Will update you how things go!

Thanks for your help

Indy

@Sophio: 1440 x 900. DVD player launches fine which means the QI/QE thingy is working too!

Just realized my resolution is only at 1280x800 as well, not sure why. I swear it was running 1440x900 prior to 10.6.2 update. What chameleon version is everyone who has full resolution running?

@Jason:

I think I am running Chameleon 2-RC3. I did think about RC 4 but decided not to fool with an already working install.

Good luck with getting the 1440x900 resolution working!

IJ

@Jason: Do I need to install the Vodoo battery to get my battery meter? That kext was not included in the Vostro1520 zip file and I just wanna be sure.

Thanks

IJ