Same-sex marriage and politics. What say you?

Do you approve of same-sex marriage?  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Have your say

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Undecided

310 posts in this topic

Note- Ageeing to disagree just means ya give up on the topic as a whole (Don't mean it to sound like a flame so please don't take it like that). I think if less people would agree to disagree on this topic, maybe it wouldn't reach the point that it has, but in this case I think I will just follow along with Jgrims on this one heh.

Not necessarily... when it comes to faith and morals, everyone is different. "Agreeing to disagree" establishes a means of peace or "civil unity" if you will; a grounds to work from or build from each other. This is extremely effective in arguing about the abstract/opinions/religion/politics. These are things that most people don't change. It yeilds civilized discussions about a controversial topic and is hardly a problem.

However, the situation you described is dangerous; if everyone just went along and dropped the subject, then anything could happen. It's called being passive. Being passive isn't something I'd advocate ever... If anything, more people need to have their view challenged and to challenge others. If you're views can't hold up to the scrutiny, you might want to rethink your views; casting doubt is a powerful tool.

It's WIN-WIN... it forces both parties to become educated on a subject (civilized) and typically come to the same conclusion. Often times both parties change their views.

Personally, I like being right... I have a tendency to read alot about many subjects so I have something to back my "voice." Many folks in the country have views that are backed by thin air and tertiary resources... or the infamous "Monkey see, Monkey do." When folks challenge them, they've got nothing and get mad which is why, in America, we don't discuss politics, economics, and religion. <- at least two of them should ABSOLUTELY be among American discussions.

EDIT: I just realized that make no sense... I guess "Arguing with objectivity rather than emotions" more what I was after. Differences need to be respected and respectfully challenged. Not left alone.

"The acquisition of knowledge knows no boundaries; knowledge is power. Yet, we chose to know so little..."

If out of everything that is the only thing you disagree with then all is good heh. But I agree objectivity is important in discussing topics, but some emotions are required or else why do it? Now don't get me wrong, I don't think any discussion should include that isn't right cause it makes me feel X.. (enter anything into X) but maybe why it makes ya feel that way bassed off facts. Some diffrences do need to be challenged, but some diffrences just need to be accepted for what they are and move on to other things. My favorate quote... I might be paraphrasing a little

We should all just keep :) ing till we are all the same

(No I don't believe it is the answer.. but hey.. I am always up for trying :hysterical:)

Note-Humor is the tie that binds... if more people had a decient sense of humor, maybe we could lower the amount of aggression.

OK - the fact is, whether you insulted him or his practices or his damn cat - insults like the barrage you supplied are not permitted in any way shape or form, whether you thought they were funny or not is beside the point. If you can't express you opinions on this subject in a civil manner then i think we'd all rather you didn't bother expressing them at all.

I can argue eternal judgement with you till we're both blue in the face - suffice to say i managed to make my point in a friendly manner and will sleep easy tonight and i don't see why you can't do the same. I don't want to have to start waving the suspension stick around but i want to keep this thread open for legitimate discussions refuse to see it mutilated by stupid posts.

To get back to the topic at hand - are folks as cynical about Bush's 'faith' and his motives behind the amendment as the media suggests? I'm a fairly cynical person and i would probably concede that it was a political move regardless of my approval for it. Perhaps that's what angers people more? In my experience people are more tollerant of even my most counter-cultural religious views if they understand that my faith is sincere and that i respect their own opinions.

Fine then Bush, leave his post up and take mine down. But I say that you are a betrayer unto your own faith, and an hipocrite to top it.

Leviticus 20

20:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

20:2 Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.

20:3 And I will set my face against that man, and will cut him off from among his people; because he hath given of his seed unto Molech, to defile my sanctuary, and to profane my holy name.

20:4 And if the people of the land do any ways hide their eyes from the man, when he giveth of his seed unto Molech, and kill him not:

20:5 Then I will set my face against that man, and against his family, and will cut him off, and all that go a whoring after him, to commit whoredom with Molech, from among their people.

20:6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

20:7 Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the LORD your God.

20:8 And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the LORD which sanctify you.

20:9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

20:11 And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

20:12 And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them. If a man has sex with his daughter in law, kill them both.

20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

20:14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.

20:15 And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast.

20:16 And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

20:17 And if a man shall take his sister, his father's daughter, or his mother's daughter, and see her nakedness, and she see his nakedness; it is a wicked thing; and they shall be cut off in the sight of their people: he hath uncovered his sister's nakedness; he shall bear his iniquity.

20:18 And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people.

20:19 And thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy mother's sister, nor of thy father's sister: for he uncovereth his near kin: they shall bear their iniquity.

20:20 And if a man shall lie with his uncle's wife, he hath uncovered his uncle's nakedness: they shall bear

their sin; they shall die childless. (20:21-22)

20:21 And if a man shall take his brother's wife, it is an unclean thing: he hath uncovered his brother's nakedness; they shall be childless.

20:22 Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out.

20:23 And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them.

20:24 But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I am the LORD your God, which have separated you from other people.

20:25 Ye shall therefore put difference between clean beasts and unclean, and between unclean fowls and clean: and ye shall not make your souls abominable by beast, or by fowl, or by any manner of living thing that creepeth on the ground, which I have separated from you as unclean.

20:26 And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine.

20:27 A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.

I say electric chair. Its less painful.

Oh please.

I welcome those from the Jewish faith to come in, and see what they have to say as well.

Why is it that the group that has the most evil, meanness and cruelty in them are the religious zealots. This kind of fundamentalism is the reason why the world trade center was blown up.

If you cant apply your religion to only yourself, please go somewhere where everyone else doesnt have to deal with you.

I respect your position Ouch. If I were king of the world, religion would have no place in secular affairs, and if you were king of the world, there wouldnt be {censored} marriage. But if I were king of the world, I wouldnt put Christians to death. I hope you feel conversely.

Why is it that the group that has the most evil, meanness and cruelty in them are the religious zealots. This kind of fundamentalism is the reason why the world trade center was blown up.

If you cant apply your religion to only yourself, please go somewhere where everyone else doesnt have to deal with you.

I respect your position Ouch. If I were king of the world, religion would have no place in secular affairs, and if you were king of the world, there wouldnt be {censored} marriage. But if I were king of the world, I wouldnt put Christians to death. I hope you feel conversely.

Why is it that the group that has the most evil, and sickness are the {censored}, athiest zealots. This kind of fundamentalism is the reason why God struck the World Trade Center with a wake up call for America. America was founded in God's name. In God we trust. One nation under God indevisable. If you don't like it, then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. But don't sit here, bitching, moaning and complaining, on some messageboard, like a little infant that you don't get your way.

If you can't apply your gayness to only yourself, please go to some other country where we don't have to deal with you.

I don't respect your position Ouch, but I do respect you as a Christian, and as a person. If I were king, {censored} would have no place in secular affairs, and if you were king of the world you would probably feel the same. But If I were king, I wouln't PUT the {censored} to death, only bannish, and exile them from the country with no return, if found guilty under a fair trial among peers. Re-entering the country without a permit would cause you to be jailed for 30 days. Retrun a 2nd time without a permit (temporary green card) and your fate would be up to a Judge.

I say treat people who commit homosexual sins the same way we treat people who commit murder, rape, or child molestation, give them a fair trial, then do what must be done. If they are innocent, then sweet. If they are guilty, then proceed with action according to the state. In Mississippi you get life imprisonment for murder. In Texas, they send you to the chair, or gas chamber.

In some countries they cut off your hand for stealing. Take that into consideration, and apply it to your homosexual crimes. HINT: They did this in the early days in England to guards who were around the Queen a lot.

Why is it that the group that has the most evil, and sickness are the {censored}, athiest zealots. This kind of fundamentalism is the reason why God struck the World Trade Center with a wake up call for America.

Wow, you are a @#$%ing nut, aren't you?

I say we apply those thing to you for being a nut. Just because we can. Cut off your tongue so we don't have to hear that sh*t coming out of your mouth.

I say treat people who commit homosexual sins the same way we treat people who commit murder, rape, or child molestation, give them a fair trial, then do what must be done. If they are innocent, then sweet. If they are guilty, then proceed with action according to the state. In Mississippi you get life imprisonment for murder. In Texas, they send you to the chair, or gas chamber.

Hey remedial boy. What makes you think that two consenting adults giving each other a hummer in the privacy of their own home even compares to killing someone, rape, or molesting a child?

You have deep problems dude, seek help.

I'm all for crazy people spouting their garbage... I mean, we let Pat Robertson do it. It proves we're a free country; Stalin would have put his head on a pike.

hmmm...?

... I never thought of it that way.

:D

I say we apply those thing to you for being a nut. Just because we can. Cut off your tongue so we don't have to hear that sh*t coming out of your mouth.

Hey remedial boy. What makes you think that two consenting adults giving each other a hummer in the privacy of their own home even compares to killing someone, rape, or molesting a child?

Wow you are totally sick perverted person.

I say we apply those things to you for being a {censored}. Just because we here in America can. AND JUST DID. HAHA. Cut off your balls so your sick satanic seed doesn't spread on this planet.

Hey little sick kid. What makes you think that God can't see what you are doing in the privacy of your own home? You certainly seem sick enough to do those things. I bet you were cruel to animals when you were little too.

You have deep issues. Seek immediate mental help.

Stop whining that your minority opinion lost. You can't get married, thats the way it is. DEAL WITH IT.

Wow... Ya know I never really thought about it, but there really is a point where you just realize.. Ooooh Your craaaazy ookay. I stoped takin this guys seriously shortly after reading the posts full of just marks to the bible... That isn't arguing a fact nor tring to prove his point.. He is just trollin for agression, Ignore the "Hate- :P "

Someone has to agrue the other side of the coin and we should really kinda thank him for showing what kind of extreeme bible thumpers there are that are actually stoping this. I mean this is the perfect example of why {censored} marrage would be banned, and with time people like this will slowly be pushed out of office. (Note not for 'better' people, just for people who things such as this is not even a big thing... but I think my dislike for politicians is showing heh)

Ignore this guy, talk bout other things, and do't let the little bar of a moustache under his noise throw ya too far.. :D

heh

I think that becuase marriage was originally to do with religion that the religion of the couple shuold be the desiding factor, so in the case of america i imagine the majority of people are christian, i think that same sex marriage should not be allowed.

Malekite: I totally agree. I'm all for people screaming at the rooftops. Why? Because irrational arguments only make people question the position.

A great, great, great example is the Westboro Church (OryHara is probably a member). They've been picketting {censored} people's funerals for years and years, with barely a headline. No real condemnation or anything. So, they decided to start picketting military funerals, and now boy is there a brouhaha. "How can these people be so evil and heartless to picket funerals!??!", even a motorcycle gang has come out protect the bereaved family-members. Sure, Westboro church got publicity... but it's only made people who might have agreed with them before analyze their opinions.

I'm all for it.

I think that becuase marriage was originally to do with religion that the religion of the couple shuold be the desiding factor, so in the case of america i imagine the majority of people are christian, i think that same sex marriage should not be allowed.

First let me say there is nothing wrong with thinking it shouldn't be alowed, I disagree, but thats what makes the world turn (disagrements heh). I do have to ask, in a Country where the majority is taken into consideration, but minorities are given special rights to make things equal. Why should this be any diffrent, I mean I guess the question I want to ask is why? I mean what do you have against it, I know because the bible says it is, but is there anything else then that? I don't mean to sound offensive, but I am mearly curious to talk to someone who is rational and against the {censored} marrage thing why? I just don't get how only one thing like that can sway such a topic beyond negotioation.

Again, sorry if that sounds sarcastic, but it is my lack of understating that makes me ask, not tring to be sarcastic.

Also, its Malakite (heh) but that is a good point gwprod12, I think these people decide the end justify the means (The picketting {censored} people's funerals people) they don't care about who or what it may do to those around them, as long as they reach the end goal they want.. and to me (IMO if you will) this is just like not taking responsibility their own actions... Which leads to just confusion and choas...

I say we apply those things to you for being a {censored}. Just because we here in America can. AND JUST DID. HAHA. Cut off your balls so your sick satanic seed doesn't spread on this planet.

Hey little sick kid. What makes you think that God can't see what you are doing in the privacy of your own home? You certainly seem sick enough to do those things. I bet you were cruel to animals when you were little too.

Stop whining that your minority opinion lost. You can't get married, thats the way it is. DEAL WITH IT.

I'm already married. I'm 29. I have two lovely daughters. And as you might have guessed by now. I'm certainly not {censored}. (and what gave you the impression I harm animals? Shows how retarded you are to make such simple-minded conclusions.)

One does not have to be {censored} to accept people for what and who they are, or to allow then the same freedoms and rights I already enjoy as a married man.

You are a sad pathetic human being. And I'll continue to pray for you and pity you, but I'm done humoring you. So you'll have to go hate someone else. I have better, more sophisticated things to do. (Like not being a selfish bigot)

Good luck with that.

:graduated:

I'm already married. I'm 29. I have two lovely daughters. And as you might have guessed by now. I'm certainly not {censored}.

One does not have to be {censored} to accept people for what and who they are, or to allow then the same freedoms and rights I already enjoy as a married man.

You are a sad pathetic human being. And I'll continue to pray for you and pity you, but I'm done humoring you. So you'll have to go hate someone else. I have better, more sophisticated things to do. (Like not being a selfish bigot)

Good luck with that.

:D

I hope your two daughters grow up to be Godly women, and not corrupted like you. You really need to READ the bible if you are a godly man as you claim. Standing up for sin is not of God. Because God may fail to stand up for you on the day of Judgement.

You and your family will be in my prayers. When the rapture comes, I hope you, and your family are gone with the rest of us. Provided we don't all die before then. I hope you all have accepted Jesus as your lord and savior.

:)

Wow... Ya know I never really thought about it, but there really is a point where you just realize.. Ooooh Your craaaazy ookay. I stoped takin this guys seriously shortly after reading the posts full of just marks to the bible... That isn't arguing a fact nor tring to prove his point.. He is just trollin for agression, Ignore the "Hate- :spam: "

Someone has to agrue the other side of the coin and we should really kinda thank him for showing what kind of extreeme bible thumpers there are that are actually stoping this. I mean this is the perfect example of why {censored} marrage would be banned, and with time people like this will slowly be pushed out of office. (Note not for 'better' people, just for people who things such as this is not even a big thing... but I think my dislike for politicians is showing heh)

Ignore this guy, talk bout other things, and do't let the little bar of a moustache under his noise throw ya too far.. :graduated:

heh

Our Father, who art in heaven

hallowed be thy Name,

thy kingdom come,

thy will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread

And forgive us our trespasses,

as we forgive those

who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from evil.

For thine is the kingdom,

and the power, and the glory,

for ever and ever.

Amen.

You really need to READ the bible if you are a godly man as you claim. Standing up for sin is not of God. Because God may fail to stand up for you on the day of Judgement.

I have read the bible, cover to cover, about 4 times. (This was back in college, and the last time was very difficult as the old testament has a lot of unnecessary lineage in there.) I find it's a largely flawed writing that contradicts itself in many areas. I've also found that many people who fight with it as a weapon know very little about what's actually in there.

The best way to lose the faith is by reading the bible.

So tell my how Judas died? Oh biblical scholar. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that one.

Matthew 27:1-10

Early in the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people came to the decision to put Jesus to death. They bound him, led him away and handed him over to Pilate, the governor.

When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty silver coins to the chief priests and the elders. "I have sinned," he said, "for I have betrayed innocent blood."

"What is that to us?" they replied. "That's your responsibility."

So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

The chief priests picked up the coins and said, "It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money." So they decided to use the money to buy the potter's field as a burial place for foreigners. That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day. Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: "They took the thirty silver coins, the price set on him by the people of Israel, and they used them to buy the potter's field, as the Lord commanded me."

We should all just keep :) ing till we are all the same

(No I don't believe it is the answer.. but hey.. I am always up for trying :graduated:)

Note-Humor is the tie that binds... if more people had a decient sense of humor, maybe we could lower the amount of aggression.

We could never be the same, that's not what I'm implicating. Simply educated is all I'm after... it helps shed light on what you don't know... Unfortunately, often times scholars are at "war" so you still end up bipartisan.

Humor is a great thing (I agree) when it comes to trivia stuff, but in a serious matter... IDK

Why is it that the group that has the most evil, and sickness are the {censored}, athiest zealots. This kind of fundamentalism is the reason why God struck the World Trade Center with a wake up call for America. America was founded in God's name. In God we trust. One nation under God indevisable. If you don't like it, then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. But don't sit here, bitching, moaning and complaining, on some messageboard, like a little infant that you don't get your way.

If you can't apply your gayness to only yourself, please go to some other country where we don't have to deal with you.

I don't respect your position Ouch, but I do respect you as a Christian, and as a person. If I were king, {censored} would have no place in secular affairs, and if you were king of the world you would probably feel the same. But If I were king, I wouln't PUT the {censored} to death, only bannish, and exile them from the country with no return, if found guilty under a fair trial among peers. Re-entering the country without a permit would cause you to be jailed for 30 days. Retrun a 2nd time without a permit (temporary green card) and your fate would be up to a Judge.

In some countries they cut off your hand for stealing. Take that into consideration, and apply it to your homosexual crimes. HINT: They did this in the early days in England to guards who were around the Queen a lot.

Nice semi-parody... homosexual crimes? are you kidding? Why? During the early days of England, they thought the earth was flat, the center of the universe, 5000 years old... Let alone all other religions were unacceptable (Christianity is a minority!)...

werd!!!!

A parody again...lol

Who are you to judge in God's place? Where in the Bible are you permitted to pass judgement? and last I checked, that minority opinion won in the Senate with the amendment being shot down. One of two things would be means for such actions...

Either it's an infridgment upon "God given rights"...

Or it would affect voting patterns because there are TOO many Homosexuals in this country that would be affected...

I think you need to pay a visit to San Francisco, CA....

Christianity, or any religion for that matter, should have no bearing on secular affairs. "Separation of Church and State" What if the {censored} couple, most of whom can already get married in a church, are Christian? Now how could you discriminate?

Coca Cola was invented to cure headaches... so I think imbibing it for pleasure should be banned... ???

Cellphone were intially develop to allow people to communicate wirelessly... so I think taking pictures with one should be banned...???

You really need to READ the bible if you are a godly man as you claim. Standing up for sin is not of God. Because God may fail to stand up for you on the day of Judgement.

Speak for yourself... he makes way better points than yourself...

Anybody can pull up quotes from the Bible, the question is; do you understand it? Alining with a(the) Church isn't alining with the Bible, but the interpretation of it. Unless you can read Latin/Hebrew, everything you've read is an interpretation. WEB, KJV, NIV are all interpretations/stories compiled to "bring the Bible up to the times." In case you didn't know, each of them is different. You think you're reading some 2000 year old text, but your really reading what people chose to believe in the Bible some 600 years ago... or less

Matthew 27:1-10

Early in the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people came to the decision to put Jesus to death. They bound him, led him away and handed him over to Pilate, the governor.

When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty silver coins to the chief priests and the elders. "I have sinned," he said, "for I have betrayed innocent blood."

"What is that to us?" they replied. "That's your responsibility."

So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

The chief priests picked up the coins and said, "It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money." So they decided to use the money to buy the potter's field as a burial place for foreigners. That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day. Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: "They took the thirty silver coins, the price set on him by the people of Israel, and they used them to buy the potter's field, as the Lord commanded me."

You are 1/2 right.

Acts 1:18-19 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

Yes. He DID hang himself. But in the 'process' of hanging (or attempting to hang) himself the limb on the branch in which he hung himself broke, and he fell to his death from a high point, and spilled his guts when he met the rocks on the cliff below.

Mathew says he hung himself. Yes he did. But thats not what caused his spirit to depart. The impact to the ground is what killed him.

I have read the bible, cover to cover, about 4 times. (This was back in college, and the last time was very difficult as the old testament has a lot of unnecessary lineage in there.) I find it's a largely flawed writing that contradicts itself in many areas. I've also found that many people who fight with it as a weapon know very little about what's actually in there.

The best way to lose the faith is by reading the bible.

So tell my how Judas died? Oh biblical scholar. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that one.

"Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

"Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints...." Ephesians 6:10-18

;)

In my country it´s already legal, I voted Yes.

This example shows how bad religions are, they always trying to get influence. These sects are based on lies (Jesus was a f***ing charlatan) and are trying to tell people how to live. These :angry: sects needs to be stopped.

Not the {censored} are dangerous but the religions and ultra conservative politicians are a danger for a free society.

Just say NO to all religions and just say NO to ultra conservative politicians and you´ll get a better world.