Snow Leopard on Hardware Raid Set (bootable)

32 posts in this topic

AMCC 3ware

UPDATE: official Snow Leopard 64 bit Driver here -> go

i can prove that the AMCC 3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID Controller is working under Snow Leopard with the 3wareInstallFix.dmg but only in 32Bit mode. for that controller, you need the 9.5.1 Codeset from here too. i'm using it for my Asus P6T Deluxe.

btw every 9650SE and 9690SA based Controller should work fine.

Service Request Number: 2-253381681

CQ ID:

Date Opened : 10/8/2009 04:22:55 AM

Abstract : Kernel Extension Loading in Snow Leopard 10.6.1

Customer/Reference Number (if applicable): NOT PROVIDED NOT PROVIDED

Serial Number (if applicable): L326009A8512533

Hermann,

Please accept my apologies, but at this time, Snow Leopard is not supported. Driver development is in the works. We expect drivers to be released for Snow Leopard shortly.

Best Regards,

Michaela Koert

LSI Support

Global Support Services

LSI Corporation

3718 N. Rock Rd.

Wichita, KS 67226

Phone: 1-866-625-3993

Fax: 1-316-636-8373

Email: support@lsi.com

Areca

i'm using the Areca ARC-1220 booting my Snow Leopard Installation on my Gigabyte ud4p with 8 harddisks in RAID6. very nice because no installation or patching is required. areca drivers are already included in the standard apple kexts. it works in 32 and 64 bit mode.

as long as 3ware stuck with the 32 bit only drivers, i'm gonna stay with areca :star_smile:

here's a screenshot :)

post-187087-1258492188_thumb.jpg post-187087-1258492930_thumb.jpgpost-187087-1258492938_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I had a separate email from their support that told me both 32 and 64 bit is now supported.

You are saying they still only support 32bit.... hence I am gald I didn't rely on the support they gave me ;)

Is there a 64 bit version of the AMCC3ware9000.kext available anywhere?

I have a 3ware 9650E-16ML and have to force Snow Leopard into 32 bit mode to see my raid arrays. Under 64 bit I get zilch.

• 3 weeks later...
*bump* Anyone?

i'm sorry. the latest codeset came out (9.5.3.) and here is what they say

For Snow Leopard Mac 10.6 for 32-bit or 64-bit systems, you need to use the file 9.5.3-Complete-Codeset-Mac.cdr from the 9.5.3 code set.

but still NO 64-bit support.

for me, i'm finished with 3ware ... areca is the best OOTB 32/64 bit mode

I've been talking with the peeps at LSI (3ware), and they compiled a beta 64 bit driver for their cards ....

I have tried it and it works fine here.

Can you tell me why raid-controller cost so much? what i get for my money?

the Areca Raid Controller ARC 1210 costs 280€ and this is the sane like a complet motherboard with pseudo-hardware-raid (for exampel the ich10r on the gigabyte ex58 boards).

i am searching a raid controller for max 4hdds with only raid0. which controller is best for a low price and works directly on the hackintosh (10.6.2 in 64Bit)?

Really, doesn't 64bit work, as the PDF is very misleading with 9.5.3 implying 64bit snow leopard support.

Well Highpoint is out of the OSX game, they only support external raid card and is NOT planning to release drivers for there internal

so i have been looking on "9690Sa-8i" they say it supports Snowleopard 64Bit and its not as expensive as Areca 1222

3-Ware has 64 bit Snow Leopard kexts available, they work great. Just contact support and they'll give 'em to ya ...

Hey, I'm having the same problem as above using a 9650SE-12ML on 64bit Snow Leopard, no luck with the 9.5.3 kexts so I went hunting for a solution and found this thread.

I tried calling 3Ware (LSI) today and was transferred around a bit before I got to someone that even acknowledges the existence of a beta driver but they then said they couldn't give it to me because it wasn't ready for release. In the end they took my contact info and said they'd get back to me, but nothing certain.

Is there any way you would be willing to upload the kext you are using?

I've since put my 3ware aside, for some reason it stops the system from coming out of sleep (in 32 bit mode).

Revert back to AHCI based ICH10R, no issues with sleep - albeit with a slower throughput tax. At this point, since it's a 9650SE-2L, which has no BBU support, I'm not really gaining anything as turning on cache write is just asking for trouble.

Will be looking at something else down the track.

OSX has problems with raid card's and sleep.

even apple raid card have problems with waking up from sleep

i never ever hard wake up problems using an apple raid card ?!

with a fixed dsdt i never ever had problems using an areca raid card too :)

btw i'm still waiting for someone to upload the tatata ... 64 bit kext for the 3ware {censored} :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As anyone ever tried a Sonnet Tech TSATAII-E4i ?

It's 200$, compatible with Snow Leopard and Windows XP. Their website don't mention anything about Windows 7 compatibility, I'll send them an email to ask.

• 4 weeks later...