Shuttle SG31G2 BIOS Settings

thewaffle

22 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I've scoured the net tubes looking for an answer to this, but cannot find it - apologies if I've gone blind. I'm looking get SL up and running on my shuttle, I've checked my hardware spec and everything sounds like it should work without much grief.

However, I can't for the life of me find the correct settings for my BIOS. Specifically, there doesn't seem to be a setting for AHCI anywhere!

I've created a boot disc using SL and Chameleon2 RC3, but I just get a KP when I try to boot for install - is this likely to be due to AHCI settings?

Finally, does anyone happen to know what kexts are required for the SG31G2 chipset (Intel G31)? I've found a few threads giving vague install instructions, but no-one goes into detail and certainly no-one mentions the BIOS. So as of now I've been trying to boot the install disc with nothing in my /extras folder - is this a huge n00b error?

Thanks very much for any help!

So I've spent the last week playing with the my build and have finally had success! Last week I got the installer to boot, but then couldn't get the install itself to boot. Got that to boot over the weekend, and last night got video / sound / ethernet up and running. I turned off 'spin down discs when possible' becuase it was causing video playback to stall, but other than that I'm happy as larry! I've kept all the kexts I needed and noted down my steps - will do a guide when I have a spare sec. Hopefully will help someone else in need.

Hi pal,

So you did it? I have the same machine working as a charme under Leopard, but I can't find a way to upgrade ( from a fresh install) to to the snow kitty.

May I kindly ask you how you managed to install SL on yours? Which route happened to be successful for you: Netkas' EFI, Boot CD or dsdt?

It's my understanding that you are saving your info to build a tutorial, however some guidance would be appreciate here. ;-)

Thanks for you help.

Cheers.

Lucanoid

Hey,

What problem are you having specifically? Haven't had a second to spare, but will do a write up soon! Off the top of my head (at work now so don't have any specifics) - standard kexts (fakesmc etc), was having problems with IOATAFAMILY.kext so I found a replacement (got it at home so will upload later today), and thats about all I can remember off the top of my head! ioatafamily was causing me the most grief, it was pretty plain sailing once I got past that. I'm doing another install this week (on a quieter hard drive, my test install was on an old, noisy as hell drive) so will jot down my steps as I go. And will stick the kexts I used up later.

zipped up my extras folder for ya. just did the dsdt, doesnt seem to be working so if you have any luck do us a favour and stick it up here. Also attached the applehda.kext, hdaenabler.kext and voodoops2controller.kext files that have worked for me.

I also deleted applecpupowermanagement from s/l/e, but ill just use the nullpower kext next time.

More general for anyone looking for SG31G2 bios settings, I'm using the 'load optimised defaults' settings, nothing more, nothing less.

as far as I remember, I deleted ioatafamily.kext from s/l/e because it wasn't being overridden by cham bootloader, but I could well be wrong there. will test when I do my permanent install this week. still, typing in SL now and haven't had any problems. let me know if you need anything else, and pop up your dsdt if you get a sec!

ill try and document all my steps in the next few days. good luck!

Extra.zip

HDAenabler.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for sharing the kexts you have used. Finally I was able to get my Shuttle SG31G2 V1.2 running Snow Leopard 10.6.1

Just adding my two cents...

1. I used NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and it works for me.

2. I also added a PlatformUUID.kext (with my uuid), because I was getting ERR35-errors.

3. HDAEnabler.kext is not needed, because the patched AppleHDA.kext already contains it. So I am happy without HDAEnabler.kext

4. The hardest part was sleep mode. I really love to have S3 (suspend-to-ram). This is how I did it: I installed SleepEnabler.kext. I also changed my bios settings: In the BIOS I set "ACPI Suspend Type" to S3 in tab "Power Management" and then "Run VGABIOS if S3 resume" to NO. Otherwise the onboard graphic chip would be powered up on wakeup. I also had to change the dsdt.aml. I used the one that thewaffle had provided, disassembled it with iaslMe and added the sleep fix from Shuttle K45/K48 running snow leopard. I had to add a DTGP-Method to make iasl compile it (can´t remember where I found it and don´t know what it is good for). Suspend-to-RAM now works perfectly (as far as I can tell after a few hours). I attached my sleep-patched-dsdt.aml

DSDT.aml.zip

Thank you very much for sharing the kexts you have used. Finally I was able to get my Shuttle SG31G2 V1.2 running Snow Leopard 10.6.1

Just adding my two cents...

1. I used NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and it works for me.

2. I also added a PlatformUUID.kext (with my uuid), because I was getting ERR35-errors.

3. HDAEnabler.kext is not needed, because the patched AppleHDA.kext already contains it. So I am happy without HDAEnabler.kext

4. The hardest part was sleep mode. I really love to have S3 (suspend-to-ram). This is how I did it: I installed SleepEnabler.kext. I also changed my bios settings: In the BIOS I set "ACPI Suspend Type" to S3 in tab "Power Management" and then "Run VGABIOS if S3 resume" to NO. Otherwise the onboard graphic chip would be powered up on wakeup. I also had to change the dsdt.aml. I used the one that thewaffle had provided, disassembled it with iaslMe and added the sleep fix from Shuttle K45/K48 running snow leopard. I had to add a DTGP-Method to make iasl compile it (can´t remember where I found it and don´t know what it is good for). Suspend-to-RAM now works perfectly (as far as I can tell after a few hours). I attached my sleep-patched-dsdt.aml

Thanks for that, glad I could help!

Will the dsdt you've uploaded here work without any alterations for me? I did manage to get the cmos reset fixed but I didnt go any further than that. I've gotten a bit lazy, everything works fine for what I need, but obviously having sleep enabled would be a bonus! Also, firewire doesn't seem to play nice, any ideas? Haven't read up on the ERR35 errors, potential fix, or what am I missing!? These days all I manage to do once I get back from work is watch tv...

Will the dsdt you've uploaded here work without any alterations for me? I did manage to get the cmos reset fixed but I didnt go any further than that.

Well, I´m a dsdt-noob. I´m not sure, but I guess it should work. Because actually it is *your* dsdt. I just added the sleep-fix, so I see no reason, why it should not work. Of course you have to install SleepEnabler.kext and change your bios settings.

Also, firewire doesn't seem to play nice, any ideas?

So far, I´ve tried to connect my video camera to my hackintosh via firewire. iMovie worked perfectly. What exactly is wrong with your firewire?

Haven't read up on the ERR35 errors, potential fix, or what am I missing!? These days all I manage to do once I get back from work is watch tv...

Have a look at your /Applications/Console ! My log showed a lot of error 35 messages (as described here: How to install the PlatformUUID.kext? ). While searching for a solution for error 35 I also found this thread Unable to get uuid. Error: 35 . They say that telling snow leopard an uuid can sometimes fix ethernet and wlan. Maybe it´s worth a try to fix your firewire? (I´m just guessing.)

Hey,

What problem are you having specifically? Haven't had a second to spare, but will do a write up soon! Off the top of my head (at work now so don't have any specifics) - standard kexts (fakesmc etc), was having problems with IOATAFAMILY.kext so I found a replacement (got it at home so will upload later today), and thats about all I can remember off the top of my head! ioatafamily was causing me the most grief, it was pretty plain sailing once I got past that. I'm doing another install this week (on a quieter hard drive, my test install was on an old, noisy as hell drive) so will jot down my steps as I go. And will stick the kexts I used up later.

I have a SG31g2 as well and I had 10.5.8 installed and I could install 10.6 using that install on a different drive, however I can't seem to create a CD boot disc that will boot the installer. When I get to the chameleon boot screen I put the Retail CD disc in and boot it starts and then the computer just reboots. Any chance you can share your boot disc or let me know what setting you are using?

I don't know if it is related, but I thought it was something with AHCI as well. My hard drives are SATA but my CD/DVD drive is IDE. I have a separate hard drive that has XP and I can't seem to boot that from Chameleon I select XP and the computer just reboots. IF I set that drive to the 1st drive (bypass chameleon) in bios XP boots fine. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a new install of 10.6 on my sg31g2.

I haven't gotten the Marvel 8056 ethernet kext to work... it seems as though it should work out of the box because its in the actual plist.

Did you guys have any tricks for ethernet? I wonder if I have a different revision of the chip (my shuttle is pretty new) and If that requires different settings/etc.

Any help appreciated.

-Joe

Did you guys have any tricks for ethernet? I wonder if I have a different revision of the chip (my shuttle is pretty new) and If that requires different settings/etc.

You can verify if have a new or an old sg31g2 version by following shuttles directions: How to identify sg31g2 PCB version

Shuttle specifications say:

Version 2.0: Marvell 88E8057

Version 1.2: Marvell 88E8056

I had a look in the AppleYukon2.kext in the IONetworkFamily.kext that thewaffle had provided. In the Info.plist there is only a key for Yukon-88E8056. This could be your problem, but I don´t know how to fix it. So I suggest that you try to get another kext that can support your newer ethernet. Maybe it is also possible to edit the DSDT, but I don´t know what to do there exactly.

• 4 weeks later...

If you guys were successful could you writeup a guide? Any help would be appreciated. My iPC 10.5.6 Hackintosh crashed and now I can't even get that reinstall to work. Luckily for me I've had my Macbook to use but I sure miss the Hackintosh.

You can verify if have a new or an old sg31g2 version by following shuttles directions: How to identify sg31g2 PCB version

Shuttle specifications say:

Version 2.0: Marvell 88E8057

Version 1.2: Marvell 88E8056

I had a look in the AppleYukon2.kext in the IONetworkFamily.kext that thewaffle had provided. In the Info.plist there is only a key for Yukon-88E8056. This could be your problem, but I don´t know how to fix it. So I suggest that you try to get another kext that can support your newer ethernet. Maybe it is also possible to edit the DSDT, but I don´t know what to do there exactly.

Hi there,

I've scoured the net tubes looking for an answer to this, but cannot find it - apologies if I've gone blind. I'm looking get SL up and running on my shuttle, I've checked my hardware spec and everything sounds like it should work without much grief.

However, I can't for the life of me find the correct settings for my BIOS. Specifically, there doesn't seem to be a setting for AHCI anywhere!

I've created a boot disc using SL and Chameleon2 RC3, but I just get a KP when I try to boot for install - is this likely to be due to AHCI settings?

Finally, does anyone happen to know what kexts are required for the SG31G2 chipset (Intel G31)? I've found a few threads giving vague install instructions, but no-one goes into detail and certainly no-one mentions the BIOS. So as of now I've been trying to boot the install disc with nothing in my /extras folder - is this a huge n00b error?

Thanks very much for any help!

I'm running 10.5.8 with the Failsafe Default Bios Settings. I can't imagine SL to be any different. You should do a writeup once you are successful with the Shuttle SG31G2 running SL. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
will do a guide when I have a spare sec. Hopefully will help someone else in need.

Hi Waffle, I'm that someone ;)

I had 10.5 working fine but I just cant get SL to work. PC-EFI v10.6 has recently been released, would this help? Any chance of that guide for SL on the SG31G2? Would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Waffle, I'm that someone ;)

I had 10.5 working fine but I just cant get SL to work. PC-EFI v10.6 has recently been released, would this help? Any chance of that guide for SL on the SG31G2? Would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi! I haven't had to mess around in awhile, everything works scarily nice! I would simply suggest installing chameleon to your install partition, adding the kexts I posted to your extras folder and giving it a whirl. I'm at work right now so I can't remember the details, but one of the kexts definitely got broken by a system update, which I then had to update.

I'm very knowledgable as you can tell! Will see what I can dig up later.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still running plain ol' Leo with Chameleon (RC2 I think) right now and everything is working just sweet. It was a while back I did the install and cant remember what kexts I installed.

I can, and have been updating Leo np but as I bought SL I want to upgrade. Any experience with upgrading leo to SL? Is this a bad idea, should I just bite the bullet and install clean? I'm not noob but it's been a while and I dont want to break all the hard work I've done so far!

Advice appreciated.

Papasmurph; Ihave the sg31g2 8400 4 gigs memory. Any chance I could get your setup from you? I'd like to try osx

I dont have SL working and Leo was as simple as Boot123 CD, Chameleon and Leo Vanilla install.

1) boot from Boot123 CD

2) swap CD for Leo DVD

3) install Vanilla Leo

4) before reboot, install Chameleon

On to Snow Leopard...

I have now bought a new hdd and have installed SL on the new drive following a combination of this guide and #5 and #6.

I can boot into Chameleon and choose Snow Leopard np, but then I get the "Please switch off your computer/restart" message. So as far as I can tell this is not a KP and the issue is one of my kexts?

Can anyone help? I got a feeling I'm so close!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your help via this thread guys.

I have a nice install shaping up q8300 and I just need to get sleep working... Anybody wanna help me get sleep working? Thanks in advance.

My /E/E

• IOATAFamily.kext
  • IONetworkingFamily.kext
  • AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
  • fakesmc.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • AppleHDA.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext

only AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E

I'm using and EFI string for my video card but I'm going to try and edit it into DSDT.

• 5 weeks later...
I dont have SL working and Leo was as simple as Boot123 CD, Chameleon and Leo Vanilla install.

1) boot from Boot123 CD

2) swap CD for Leo DVD

3) install Vanilla Leo

4) before reboot, install Chameleon

On to Snow Leopard...

I have now bought a new hdd and have installed SL on the new drive following a combination of this guide and #5 and #6.

I can boot into Chameleon and choose Snow Leopard np, but then I get the "Please switch off your computer/restart" message. So as far as I can tell this is not a KP and the issue is one of my kexts?

Can anyone help? I got a feeling I'm so close!

I'm in the same situation exactly , did you get it going yet?