[Guide] Enable Native NTFS Read/Write in Snow Leopard

Arial

30 posts in this topic

This feature was about to make my OSX a total mess. At first, it seemed ok but the later my computer lost its previous performance, started to work hotter (about 10 degree) with 'fan always on' as a bonus and finally gave me kernel panic.

I installed NTFS-3G. Although it is not that fast, at least it seems to be working better. i do not recommend you enable or use native NTFS feature until Apple comes up with a better driver.

Interesting reading here! Just wanted to try this enabeling. Has someone similar or strange troubles with Paragon NTFS?

- Sometimes when i delete files or folders, i can't delete them permanent from the trash, i have to do CHKDSK in Windows to "free" these files.

- Sometimes when i copy/move a file from a HFS+ / NTFS drive to a NTFS drive the file just disappears and is gone!

• 2 months later...

installing 10.6.3 disabled this feature for me, upon checking /etc/fstab in terminal i can confirm it's still enabled, however it's just not working

• 1 year later...

I had considered this option to get an XP virtual machine via VMware fusion writing to NTFS drives that are mounted in 10.6.7 and shared from the OSX host to the windows network. But this thread suggests the bugs and risk of data loss is too risky:http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090913140023382

More off topic but maybe useful to someone....

It seems VMware Fusion in the XP VM must pass the write operation back to OSX before trying to write to the mapped network drive. I think i'll either need to connect the NTFS drive externally so VMware will pick it up (I cant seem to mount it from OSX into the XP VM)