Multiboot Leopard and Snow Leopard with one Chameleon Partition

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

until now i managed a "quad-boot" with Chameleon.

I have three hard drives installed, one with Leopard and Snow Leopard, the second with Ubuntu 9.04 x64 and the third with Vista x64. I can boot without problems in every System with Chameleon on the first hard drive.

Now I want to now if there is a way to add the kexts from both Snow and Leopard to my Chameleon partition (for example /Extra/Snow/Extensions/ & /Extra/Leopard/Extensions/ on the Chameleon partition). I tried this but it failed and now i have the Snow Leopard kexts in /Extra/Extensions on the Chameleon partition and the Leopard kexts in /Extra/Extensions on the Leopard partition. When I boot into Leopard there is no problem, but when I boot -v i can see that he tries to load the SL kexts first, I think this isn't a nice solution so I wanted to know if/how I can create seperate folders for the the Partitions.

Bummskopf

be happy that it works for you :-)

for me it does not work, have you done something special? i installed vista normally and ubuntu with the grub bootloader on the ubuntu root partition. when i use chameleon rc3 to boot ubuntu, i choose the partition and the grub bootloader appeares and vista too without problem, but nothing happens with bootthink

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I also read somewhere (it might be the comments on the chameleon website) that with latest

Chameleon RC3 is possible to boot both Leo and Snow Leo from one single EFI-partition.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i recall seeing the binary tarball of RC3 containing two subdirectories,

"Extensions/10.5" and "10.6" respectively.

Well, it didn't work for me. I've a 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, with EFI-partition and all the stuff there,

but can't boot Leo and after that Snow Leo - every time one or the other refuses to boot, primarily SL.

I suggest, it is the "/Extra" (boot.plist, smbios.plist) that cannot hold both the versions for Leo and SL.

Even with separating the kext-stuff in the two "10.5" and "10.6" subdirs, and putting the correct plists

where they belong - same thing, only one of the two boots properly.

Or it is just me, that mixes stuff together ;)

Will be very glad if someone tells if it is doable, and of course - to hear some hints from our developers themselves :(

YEP !

Correct me if i am wrong, but i recall seeing the binary tarball of RC3 containing two subdirectories,

"Extensions/10.5" and "10.6" respectively.

But that works ONLY!!! on EFI (GUID) partitions and NOT MBR type - not commented in the readme :( )

A lot users which try that subfolder 10.5/10.6 on MBR fail (loading wrong content) and get into nightmare until someone posted "not working on MBR".