Broadcom 440x Ethernet under Snow Leopard

15 posts in this topic

This is a plea to find out if anyone has got this card to work under Snow Leopard.

I've tried the AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext that works first time in Leopard but it won't work in Snow Leopard.

In Snow it finds the ethernet device, and it acknowledges that it's plugged in.. but it can't get a DHCP IP address and it won't work with manual IP either. If I unplug it, it goes to "unplugged", so it's seeing my cable.. it just doesn't want to play. It just sits there with a 169. IP address and won't grab an IP. Pings all fail obviously. With manual IP it thinks it's connected but pings fail there too.

Under Leopard all this works perfectly with the same kext.

Can anyone help or suggest what may be wrong? This is the last piece of the snow leopard jigsaw for me.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
This is a plea to find out if anyone has got this card to work under Snow Leopard.

I've tried the AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext that works first time in Leopard but it won't work in Snow Leopard.

In Snow it finds the ethernet device, and it acknowledges that it's plugged in.. but it can't get a DHCP IP address and it won't work with manual IP either. If I unplug it, it goes to "unplugged", so it's seeing my cable.. it just doesn't want to play. It just sits there with a 169. IP address and won't grab an IP. Pings all fail obviously. With manual IP it thinks it's connected but pings fail there too.

Under Leopard all this works perfectly with the same kext.

Can anyone help or suggest what may be wrong? This is the last piece of the snow leopard jigsaw for me.

Thank you.

I get the exact same problem looking for a newer kext maybe - ill post if i find out wtf is going on

I get the exact same problem looking for a newer kext maybe - ill post if i find out wtf is going on

same problem here on 10.5...bcm5751 - you need to assign the mac addy manually if it is 00:00:00:00:00:00

i cant even get my bcm to show up on 10.6 doesnt work at all on 10.6

• 1 month later...

Compiling the sources from 10.4.11 under Snow Leopard in Xcode restored it to "working condition," for me...by which I mean it was equivalent with Leopard. It still craps out after a short amount of time (and will no longer get an IP) and I have found no way to restore it without rebooting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Inspiron 1520 (BCM 440X)

I used this kext in 10.6.2 (64bit)and connection breaks after some time. I tested this kext in 10.6.1 (64bit) (Disabled W/PXE boot under BIOS options) and seems to work good.

I will report after few more tests.

• 4 months later...
<br />Inspiron 1520 (BCM 440X)<br /><br />I used this kext in 10.6.2 (64bit)and connection breaks after some time. I tested this kext in 10.6.1 (64bit) (Disabled W/PXE boot under BIOS options) and seems to work good.<br /><br />I will report after few more tests.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

So?, that definitely solved the {censored}-out-after-some-time issue?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I installed iATKOS Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my Acer Aspire5610Z. Everything is working fine except the Broadcom ethernet. It worked in iATKOS 10.5.7. Does anyone know how to fix the hassle? Very much appreciated!

I've got the same laptop. Did you get the wireless working? I replaced the Intel wireless card with a Broadcom BCM94306, but I can't get it to show up. Like you, everything was fine in Leopard but I can't get it to even recognize the card in SL.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!