Retail OSX 10.6 on P5Q Deluxe/Others

Shaumux

203 posts in this topic

I need a hand getting audio to work on my P5Q-Deluxe motherboard.

I am probably just not installing the kext properly.

I've read this whole thread and I have everything working now, except audio.

My install method was the lifehacker article:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

I see in the first post of this thread, that there's a modified appleHDA.kext that should work with the Sound on this motherboard.

I downloaded it and put it on my USB stick in /Extra/Extensions folder - is this the correct place to put it?

Come to think of it, that brings up another question...

I boot off the USB stick

It has the /extras folder as well as the install files for OSX.

it also has the chameleon bootloader as it's boot sector.

Chameleon boots off the device then allows me to boot from the hard drive, which does not have an /Extra/Extensions folder - at the point of handoff to the other partition, is there some redirector mechanism which has OSX see the original partitions's /Extra/Extensions folder?

I need a hand getting audio to work on my P5Q-Deluxe motherboard.

I am probably just not installing the kext properly.

I've read this whole thread and I have everything working now, except audio.

My install method was the lifehacker article:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

I see in the first post of this thread, that there's a modified appleHDA.kext that should work with the Sound on this motherboard.

I downloaded it and put it on my USB stick in /Extra/Extensions folder - is this the correct place to put it?

Come to think of it, that brings up another question...

I boot off the USB stick

It has the /extras folder as well as the install files for OSX.

it also has the chameleon bootloader as it's boot sector.

Chameleon boots off the device then allows me to boot from the hard drive, which does not have an /Extra/Extensions folder - at the point of handoff to the other partition, is there some redirector mechanism which has OSX see the original partitions's /Extra/Extensions folder?

after booting to snow leopard from usb , then install chemeleon RC3 bootloader to partition that you install snow leopard, then copy all files in USB DRIVE:/Extra Folder to Extra Folder in Snow Leopard Partition, and do restart, you can boot from hard without usb booting job, sorry for my bad english!

like video tutorial!

I am still having no joy with getting my ethernet to work, it recognises it, but will not let me connect to internet.

Question!! - the Kext to enable the ethernet to work do you put it into the S/L/E folder on the leopard disk or the Chameleon extra's disk?

• 3 weeks later...

After removing and re-installing kexts over and over and not getting anywhere, I thought ok, this is what we've got...

an IONetworkingfamily kext which was modified in terminal to have the right ethernet identifiers - The package contents show the Yukon 2 kext therin.

The AppleYukon2.kext and AppleYukon2injector.kext also sitting in S/L/E .

I restarted in chameleon RC4 with all caches turned off. It booted and it all worked with internet straight away !?!

I stated to slim down my chameleon E/E folder to bare essentials, so now I have just HDA enablers IOAHCIportinjector fakesmc2.5 and EvOrboot kexts and that's it.

Ethernet still wouldn't work on reboot !

I then took the caches folders out of S/L and L/E and put them on the desktop

This time it hung on the grey apple boot screen!

SO I booted verbose, and it hung waiting for a debug on the ethernet, after 5 minutes I retarted on the reset button.

I also noticed that now that the identifiers were in the boot.plist on the chameleon stick, I now couldn't boot leopard.

Using an old boot 123 cd, I rebooted leopard and create folders in chameleon stick for 10.5 and 10.6, so now I boot with different boot.plists for each OS, it seems to work.

I then tried to move the old cache folders on the desktop back to their original locations in SnowLeopard from within Leopard and attempt a reboot. - Still no joy as it hangs on the same verbose boot message.

I decide to reboot Leopard - from within leopard, I go to the partition with Snowleopard installer and remove the E/E folder which I put in there from this guide, and thus all I have is the original vanilla install medium files.

With minimal kexts in my chameleon 10.6 folder I reboot the installer and erase and re-install my Snowleopard partition. The installation goes fine, and without further ado, as I have the boot.plist and smbios.plist from the old installation, I immediately install the 10.6.2 updater and adjust boot-UUID flag values accordingly in boot.plist

I have yet to install any kexts or apps into SnowLeopard as I want a totally vanilla system with which to solve this ethernet problem - and everything is pointing to a cache issue.

I'v got this far with it, but if anyone can help me further I'd really appreciate it.

After removing and re-installing kexts over and over and not getting anywhere, I thought ok, this is what we've got...

an IONetworkingfamily kext which was modified in terminal to have the right ethernet identifiers - The package contents show the Yukon 2 kext therin.

The AppleYukon2.kext and AppleYukon2injector.kext also sitting in S/L/E .

I restarted in chameleon RC4 with all caches turned off. It booted and it all worked with internet straight away !?!

I stated to slim down my chameleon E/E folder to bare essentials, so now I have just HDA enablers IOAHCIportinjector fakesmc2.5 and EvOrboot kexts and that's it.

Ethernet still wouldn't work on reboot !

I then took the caches folders out of S/L and L/E and put them on the desktop

This time it hung on the grey apple boot screen!

SO I booted verbose, and it hung waiting for a debug on the ethernet, after 5 minutes I retarted on the reset button.

I also noticed that now that the identifiers were in the boot.plist on the chameleon stick, I now couldn't boot leopard.

Using an old boot 123 cd, I rebooted leopard and create folders in chameleon stick for 10.5 and 10.6, so now I boot with different boot.plists for each OS, it seems to work.

I then tried to move the old cache folders on the desktop back to their original locations in SnowLeopard from within Leopard and attempt a reboot. - Still no joy as it hangs on the same verbose boot message.

I decide to reboot Leopard - from within leopard, I go to the partition with Snowleopard installer and remove the E/E folder which I put in there from this guide, and thus all I have is the original vanilla install medium files.

With minimal kexts in my chameleon 10.6 folder I reboot the installer and erase and re-install my Snowleopard partition. The installation goes fine, and without further ado, as I have the boot.plist and smbios.plist from the old installation, I immediately install the 10.6.2 updater and adjust boot-UUID flag values accordingly in boot.plist

I have yet to install any kexts or apps into SnowLeopard as I want a totally vanilla system with which to solve this ethernet problem - and everything is pointing to a cache issue.

I'v got this far with it, but if anyone can help me further I'd really appreciate it.

A 100% vanilla system will not get everything to work..

I'd say a few 2 or 3 maybe are a good idea like the fakesmc platformuuid etc.

Mostly i Prefer the kexts that i can put into /Extra directory, less hassle with caches.

How are you installing the kexts?

Try Kext helper.

After installing any kext regenerate caches then only before restarting.

I think kext helper does that for you.

I'll say that before trying the modified ionetworking kext, try the yukon kext.

It can be just put in the /Extra kext folder

A 100% vanilla system will not get everything to work..

I'd say a few 2 or 3 maybe are a good idea like the fakesmc platformuuid etc.

Mostly i Prefer the kexts that i can put into /Extra directory, less hassle with caches.

How are you installing the kexts?

Try Kext helper.

After installing any kext regenerate caches then only before restarting.

I think kext helper does that for you.

Shaumux, thanks for the quick response!

The intention isn't to have a 100% vanilla system, but it gives me a starting point.

I am installing the Kexts with kext helper.

I'll certainly do that, as all of them were in there before, and if my memory serves me correctly they were in the Chameleon E/E folder also.

I'll give it a go and post my findings.

I'll have a go with Kext helper and the Yukon and injector Kext first in the E/E...

If this doesn't work, i'll put them into the kext helper from within Snow Leopard itself.

here goes!!

well, I reshuffled my kexts to the E/E folder and nothing.

With Yukon Injector in the boot usbstick I get the ethernet port to be recognised, but with no ethernet activity.

I use kext helper B7 to install appleYukon2.kext and injector kext, and once again get the message about the self assigning ip address.

I now have rebooted with 'caches turned off' on the bootloader and I have full working internet activity.

So... new install, only the two kexts installed with kext helper and I still get this!!!

Snow leopard is turning out to be a total load of rubbish for me.

I was wondering I am using a modified Juzzi Bios.rom, 2001 tobe precise, would this have anything to do with it?

I'm all out of ideas. :angry:

well, I reshuffled my kexts to the E/E folder and nothing.

With Yukon Injector in the boot usbstick I get the ethernet port to be recognised, but with no ethernet activity.

I use kext helper B7 to install appleYukon2.kext and injector kext, and once again get the message about the self assigning ip address.

I now have rebooted with 'caches turned off' on the bootloader and I have full working internet activity.

So... new install, only the two kexts installed with kext helper and I still get this!!!

Snow leopard is turning out to be a total load of rubbish for me.

I was wondering I am using a modified Juzzi Bios.rom, 2001 tobe precise, would this have anything to do with it?

I'm all out of ideas. :angry:

So the ethernet works if you turn off caches?

Could be due to the bios can't say.

I use my own modified bios.

If you want try that.

It includes ASUS SLIC 2.1, DSDT for OSX, SLI enabled, memory tables updated from maximux formula, and the Marvell and raid modules in the bios are updated.

P5Q_ASUS_DELUXE_2301_SLIC_OSX_SLI_shaumux.zip

So the ethernet works if you turn off caches?

Could be due to the bios can't say.

I use my own modified bios.

If you want try that.

It includes ASUS SLIC 2.1, DSDT for OSX, SLI enabled, memory tables updated from maximux formula, and the Marvell and raid modules in the bios are updated.

Shaumux, that's great!! many thanks to you for the modded bios.

I have a development, I went and read the guide for p5q Deluxe on the italian forum here at insanely to see what issues others had had if any with ethernet.

In there there was a different take on the ethernet concept and I downloaded two new kext, one for each marvel ethernet controller, but more importantly, it had a dsdt.aml file in one of the folder bundles. I put this in /Extra/ with the boot.plist and smbios ...My Snow Leopard 10.6.2 boots with working ethernet!!!

So hopefully if I flash with a the new modified rom, I should get the same result if I understand correctly.

After that I can look at fine tuning the /Extra/Extensions folder -

My usb boot stick will not mount Leopard, it causes it to have a KP, I am thinking that this perhaps is because of the BootUUID flag which 10.6.2 wants , I'm not sure.

Also I can now concentrate on sleep and restart. I have fakesmc and EvOreboot kexts in the /Extra/10.6/Extensions folder.

When I select restart, the screen clears, goes to blue and then the spinning thing keeps spinning and after three to five minutes I have to use soft reset.

When I select shutdown, the screen clears, goes to blue, then black and after a while shuts down, spinning the drives down however my fans are still running - so the board is still live and it forces me to use the main power button to shut down the board.

No big deal, just an annoyance, but the most important thing is that my bootstick works and my Snow 10.6.2 can see the internet. :P

And the best bit... I'm learning a huge amount about not only the mac os but hackintosh's in general as I go :)

I have the same shutdown problem.

In my case, it used to work - Either a bios change or a config change broke it for me - Haven't had time to sort it out.

Other than that mostly everything seems to be working.

On my P5Q Deluxe Sound was the most elusive thing, but that works now!

If you find a solution to the shutdown problem, please post it here!

Shaumux, that's great!! many thanks to you for the modded bios.

I have a development, I went and read the guide for p5q Deluxe on the italian forum here at insanely to see what issues others had had if any with ethernet.

In there there was a different take on the ethernet concept and I downloaded two new kext, one for each marvel ethernet controller, but more importantly, it had a dsdt.aml file in one of the folder bundles. I put this in /Extra/ with the boot.plist and smbios ...My Snow Leopard 10.6.2 boots with working ethernet!!!

So hopefully if I flash with a the new modified rom, I should get the same result if I understand correctly.

After that I can look at fine tuning the /Extra/Extensions folder -

My usb boot stick will not mount Leopard, it causes it to have a KP, I am thinking that this perhaps is because of the BootUUID flag which 10.6.2 wants , I'm not sure.

Also I can now concentrate on sleep and restart. I have fakesmc and EvOreboot kexts in the /Extra/10.6/Extensions folder.

When I select restart, the screen clears, goes to blue and then the spinning thing keeps spinning and after three to five minutes I have to use soft reset.

When I select shutdown, the screen clears, goes to blue, then black and after a while shuts down, spinning the drives down however my fans are still running - so the board is still live and it forces me to use the main power button to shut down the board.

No big deal, just an annoyance, but the most important thing is that my bootstick works and my Snow 10.6.2 can see the internet. :)

And the best bit... I'm learning a huge amount about not only the mac os but hackintosh's in general as I go :)

The DSDT.aml will override the dsdt from the bios so it shouldn't be a problem. You can still use the new bios for the other things i changed if you want.

Can't say about your leopard problem, can be bootuuid,i'm not sure either.

For the shutdown and restart problem there's a kext openhalrestart.kext or something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

HI guys first ill like to say thanks to people that to make this possible is a great achievement lol I been trying to follow Shaumaux way of installing snow leopard on my P5Q deluxe and for some reason everytime I try to boot it from the usb image i created it crashes after the HDD logo and and black letters come down and tell me to shut down so am really stuck I wonder if someone should post a youtube video maybe a lot of people would benefit from this?..

HI guys first ill like to say thanks to people that to make this possible is a great achievement lol I been trying to follow Shaumaux way of installing snow leopard on my P5Q deluxe and for some reason everytime I try to boot it from the usb image i created it crashes after the HDD logo and and black letters come down and tell me to shut down so am really stuck I wonder if someone should post a youtube video maybe a lot of people would benefit from this?..

What is the error you are getting exactly?

Have you tried with -v to see the error?

If you are using sleepenabler.kext in /extra/extensions and trying to boot 10.6.2 then it will fail

Theres a new sleepenabler for 10.6.2, the previous one is incompatible

What is the error you are getting exactly?

Have you tried with -v to see the error?

If you are using sleepenabler.kext in /extra/extensions and trying to boot 10.6.2 then it will fail

Theres a new sleepenabler for 10.6.2, the previous one is incompatible

what do you mean -v?? all i use is a USB with the instructions you wrote up to

Modify the smbios.plist and Replace the SMUUID with this Universal Unique Identifier.

Right Click PlatformUUID.kext, Click show Package Contents then go to contents and open info.plist

Substitute the Universal Unique Identifier for PlatformUUID.

because i dont know how you replace the SMUUID with this Universal Unique Identifier

and i can't find the PlatformUUID.kext on the usb i used the Chameleon 2.0 rc2 cos I can't find the package for the RC3

do you know where i can find sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.2? cos i dont have it on the boot usb.... and when i try to boot from usb this i what i get see the attachment

thanks you for your time

post-567034-1265130987_thumb.jpg

what do you mean -v?? all i use is a USB with the instructions you wrote up to

Modify the smbios.plist and Replace the SMUUID with this Universal Unique Identifier.

Right Click PlatformUUID.kext, Click show Package Contents then go to contents and open info.plist

Substitute the Universal Unique Identifier for PlatformUUID.

because i dont know how you replace the SMUUID with this Universal Unique Identifier

and i can't find the PlatformUUID.kext on the usb i used the Chameleon 2.0 rc2 cos I can't find the package for the RC3

do you know where i can find sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.2? cos i dont have it on the boot usb.... and when i try to boot from usb this i what i get see the attachment

thanks you for your time

Ok sleepenabler.kext is not important at this point. yopu can delete it for the time being.I think chameleon rc2 is the problem here as i see you are getting kernel panics and kernel version not set.

Always use the latest chameleon version, which would be 2.0rc4 now.

If you can't find a package do a manual install, its not difficult at all.

and all the instructions are given in the documentation.

I agree, I found a few tutorials and then typed chame in my browser, google popped up chameleon, the 3rd or 4th one down was for the osx project, and the first article was on 2.0RC4 - there were download links just to the right of it.

Chameleon seems scary at first, but it really isn't that bad. If you haven't already, search google for lifehacker hackintosh - he has a few nice tutorials on how to make the USB key.

It's a really great feeling when you get the Vanilla OSX CD to install by yourself, instead of using a distribution like iDeneb.

My setup isn't perfect, but it's pretty close and it performs great. I have a P5QPro, or a P5Q Deluxe.

Stick to it, it's worth it.

I agree, I found a few tutorials and then typed chame in my browser, google popped up chameleon, the 3rd or 4th one down was for the osx project, and the first article was on 2.0RC4 - there were download links just to the right of it.

Chameleon seems scary at first, but it really isn't that bad. If you haven't already, search google for lifehacker hackintosh - he has a few nice tutorials on how to make the USB key.

It's a really great feeling when you get the Vanilla OSX CD to install by yourself, instead of using a distribution like iDeneb.

My setup isn't perfect, but it's pretty close and it performs great. I have a P5QPro, or a P5Q Deluxe.

Stick to it, it's worth it.

Thank you guys I finally went around installing the 2.0RC4 of chame and am getting the same error do...do you guys now if i got all the kext for the P5Q dlx (which i love by the way) i also instaled the modded bios so i dont think is configuration problem on that department. USB Extras/Extension:

AHCIportinjector, ATAportinjector, Disabler, Lmicronatainjector and IOAHCIblockstorageinjector...

I have use the tutorial from this site http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/09/insta...cking-required/

but it had the same error screen and is for a gigabyte mobo and i believe it wont work so am stuck....

one thing you think I would be able to install RC2 and copy the files from RC4 over just in case I did something wrong throw terminal as am not very good at it...

by the way my bootable usb contains the following:

post-567034-1265170997_thumb.jpg

Edited by davidkozat88

I just checked and my Motherboard is a P5Q deluxe.

I have bios 2301 installed. (factory)

Just so we're working from the same point of reference, here's my understanding of the boot process....

MB is set to boot from USB

USB boot loader contains Chameleon

Chameleon looks at a few local folders on the USB key and if found 'injects' them into the OS at boot up.

On that last part, now that I think about it, I don't really know what that means, I'll have to look the next time I have that machine on to see if our kext's (drivers) 'appear' in the mac file system, even though they aren't really there - that would make sense... Chameleon also masks your systems true identity and often presents it to the OS as a mac pro

I think from here out, most of the issues come down to getting the right kext's on the key.

Since most P45 chipset boards are likely the same, you could probably pull kext's from anyone who's uploaded what they have. I think I started with someone's gigabyte files and went from there.

As it's been mentioned, sleepenabler causes a kernel panic, so best not to use that until later.

I couldnt tell from your screen shot what the error was, it appears to be off the top of the picture - sometimes that will let you know which kext died. I remember specifically when I had the sleepenabler issue, I saw sleepenabler on the screen somewhere.

I think you can take afew approaches, you can have no kexts and add them one by one to see if that works,

or the approach I took was to put a whole bunch in the extensions folder on the usb drive, and boot and look at the error to see what didn't work (within reason - I didn't download every kext under the sun...)

As a side note, you do have a supported CPU right? (for reference, I have an E8400 and an GTX9800+ video card)

here's my com.apple.Boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(1,2)</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Be sure to only use the Graphics Enabler if you have an Nvidia card.

Here's all the kexts in the prefs folder on my usbkey.

I can't honestly say that they're all needed and I still have a shutdown issue to resolve, but I can say that the system works, has sound, has built in networking, and works on 2 DVI displays. And it sleeps fine if I tell it to, but not after 20 minutes like it should.

AD2000b.kext (this is for sound)

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

AppleMikeyDriver.kext

AppleRTC.kext

AppleYukon2.kext

AttansicL1eEthernet.kext

CPUInjector.kext

DspFuncLib.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

HDEFEnabler.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IOATABlockStorage.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IOATAPIProtocolTransport.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OSvKernDSPLib.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

UUID.kext

fakesmc.kext

Thank mate I have on the usb chame rc4 now (I think LOL) and a CPU e5500 but ill be using the q9650 also a modded bios from Shaumux a 9800 gt Nvidia of course and onboard sound dude were do you get those kext from I only have 5 from when you install chame... X-( ?? do i need anything else after installing chame not kext related like a boot file of some kind??

by the way when i tried to boot from usb last time it didnt enter the logo i -v and it says ebios read error device timedout and tells me the block xxxxxx sectors 64

post-567034-1265171968_thumb.jpg

post-567034-1265171981_thumb.jpg

post-567034-1265171991_thumb.jpg

well it look like when i use a bootloader that i burned on a cd called 132Jupiter it actually has chame rc4 i believe it lets me select the USB which has an image of snow leopard and am gonna try to install it on a sata hdd let ya know what happens if i need a driver ex sound or video can i the get the kext and install it after the os in on the hdd right? or do i have to install the os everytime lol?

well it look like when i use a bootloader that i burned on a cd called 132Jupiter it actually has chame rc4 i believe it lets me select the USB which has an image of snow leopard and am gonna try to install it on a sata hdd let ya know what happens if i need a driver ex sound or video can i the get the kext and install it after the os in on the hdd right? or do i have to install the os everytime lol?

you are missing some really important files like the fakesmc.kext which is absolutely necessary in this case.

Also you are missing smbios.plist and platformuuid.kext.

Seiing the first pic you posted i think the error was due to missing fakesmc.kext and maybe smbios.plist

Get fakesmc.kext 2.5 or whatever the latest version is there by netkas.