Updating my vanilla 10.5.8 install?

7 posts in this topic

What I did was installed on my partition to get everything right. Simply "updating" your 10.5 install would break it and it would be a lot of work to fix. Download the 64 bit kexts file, apply the cmos reset fix to your dsdt, and you should be good. I assume you made the dsdt file with a dsdt generator or the such? Use kext utility after booting with -v -x -f -x32 to repair. After that you shouldn't get any kernel panics.

If you need any more help, let me know.

What I did was installed on my partition to get everything right. Simply "updating" your 10.5 install would break it and it would be a lot of work to fix.

You mean I have to do a fresh install? I really don't want to reinstall hundreds of programs and such :/

Download the 64 bit kexts file

Which kexts need 64 bit files?

apply the cmos reset fix to your dsdt, and you should be good. I assume you made the dsdt file with a dsdt generator or the such? Use kext utility after booting with -v -x -f -x32 to repair. After that you shouldn't get any kernel panics.

Yes, I made the dsdt with some patcher or the other... how do I put the CMOS reset on?

If you need any more help, let me know.

Thanks for your help so far!

I myself tried installing Snow Leopard on a empty harddisk. I did this using the "open OSInstall.mpkg" method or whatever the name is :) When trying to get this booting I found out the combination of bootloaders and extensions I needed to boot Snow Leopard.

Then I could boot the Install DVD (after I copied it on a flash drive, removed the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from IOATAFamily.kext, and rebuilded the Extensions.mkext by first booting the installer with -f -32 -s and mounting rw, etc...).

Using the almost original Install DVD on flash, I just upgraded my existing system (on software raid). Then I used the same ticks I learned from the fresh install to get this upgraded system working... And I'm writing this from my upgraded system, so... It just works! ;)

I would like to add to my own story that it really helped to have a working version of Leopard to get the fresh Snow Leopard version booting, and then it really helped to have a working version of Snow Leopard to get my upgraded system working :)

Hi again,

You're only going to need the CMOS reset fix if your BIOS keeps being reset on shutdown/restart. If it isn't, then don't worry about it. To decompile you DSDT.aml file, you a program such as iasl.

I would recommend installing snow on a separate hard drive or partition to figure out how to get it to work, then you could either transfer the applications, etc. over or you could do a clean install.

64 bit kexts: http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...repare-yourself

I would use all of the included kexts except for the Nvidia enabler. Use efi-strings in the com.apple.boot.plist file if you are not already using them.

Hope this helps.

You mean I have to do a fresh install? I really don't want to reinstall hundreds of programs and such :/ Which kexts need 64 bit files? Yes, I made the dsdt with some patcher or the other... how do I put the CMOS reset on? Thanks for your help so far!

you could run migration assistant to transfer everything from your leopard install to snow leopard after you get her running :)