Gigabyte EP-45 DS3 Install + working kexts!

jacoweb

22 posts in this topic

Hi there!

i have found a way to get a nice Snow Leopard 64bit on gigabyte EP-45 DS3 + Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 256 mb..

(Sorry but my english is not so good)

Files to download Here

Install Snow Leopard @ Gigabyte EP-45 DS3.

1: Install Chameleon-2.0-r431.pkg

2: Copy boot file to your snow leopard volume.

3: Replace Extra folder to your snow leopard volume.

4: Edit your com.apple.Boot.plist

Edit your UUID here..

you can find it out in disc stills..

<string>boot-uuid=xxx</string>

Then add your EFI strings (if you have GeForce 8600 GT 256, don't remove anything)

after this, go into extra folder, Extensions, rightclick on PlatformUUID.kext then show packages..

Then contents/info.plist

Edit your info.plist file.. to the same UUID like post nor 4 over here..

Remember to boot system in -x

after this boot your system, then run Kext Utility in your folder Fix Permission!

Now are you able to boot SnowLeopard :)

--------

Issues

I dont use my soundcard here, cuz i have Apogee Duet Firewire card.. Soo, i have not tryed to onboard card.. Maybe it work with the kexts i have here :D

I dont get sleep to work, i will update later when i fix it :P

--------

Update!!

I can use sleep function now.. but only when i use the power button to wake up from sleep.

Install this kexts in /extra/ Folder, run disk Kext Utility.. reboot :)

SleepEnabler.kext

post-316218-1251212478_thumb.png

post-316218-1251212486_thumb.png

post-316218-1251212490_thumb.png

post-316218-1251212495_thumb.png

Hello kjellamund

10.6 on Gigabyte sound very interesting. I'm setting up my new Hackintosh at the moment and i like to do the same like you.

My Hardware is: Gigabyte GA-EP45-Extreme, Intel Core2Quad Extreme QX9650, nVidia 9800 GT - 1 GB DDR3, 2 x WesternDigital VelociRaptor 300 GB, passive Watercooling for Chipset, Graka, CPU

I don't unterstand your HowTo completely - let me tell it in my words and please help if i make mistakes:

1. On a real Mac i install 10.6 on new Drive - let me call it "10.6 Drive"

2. On the real Mac also, i install Cameleon on my "10.6 Drive"

3. <Copy boot file to your snow leopard volume> Here i have 1. problem - witch boot file? Frome where? From the 10.6 Install DVD?

4. <Replace Extra folder to your snow leopard volume> From where? When i installed Cameleon on the real Mac to my "10.6 Drive" - the Extra Folder is still on the 10.6 Drive...????

5. <Edit your com.apple.Boot.plist> you mean also the apple.Boot.plist on my "10.6 Drive"? I have to put the UUID of my "10.6 Drive" to the "com.apple.Boot.plist" witch is located also on my "10.6 Drive"?

6. Edit EFI stings for my Graka

7. Go into extra folder, extension, show packages of "PlatformUUID.kext", then contents/info.plist > edit your info.plist file (to the UUID of my Boot-Drive "10.6 Drive") >>> i don't understand this: to the same UUID like post nor 4 over here..

8. Then i move the "10.6 Drive" from the real Mac to the Gigabyte-Hackintosh and boot with -x

9. after this boot your system, then run Kext Utility in your folder Fix Permission!

Thanks for make me shure that i unterstand the procedure correct...

Greez

Andi

that´s all you can get with this board - you can´t wake it up with any usb device

There has to be a way, I will never surrender. DSDT glory :star_smile:

Do you do 32 or 64 with Snow ?

I remember I could wake from sleep with USB input on 10.5.6 - 7 or something, but 10.5.8 made me give up sleep :wacko: Think it was something about disabling usb legacy in BIOS.

Anyway, got to get some real sleep.

You guys need to read THIS THREAD

there is still no solution to wake up this board with usb. I have installed several machines using these boards and tested many configs in bios and different leo versions. there never was a wake up with usb - it´s a known issue

never found any solutions for that - it´s a gigabyte thing. on my asus board it works flawless.

I wish I could be wrong....but I´m 99% sure :D

@namakemono: I will wait to install snow leo on a new 8core hac-pro in winter

3: Download the files from here.. http://www.speedyshare.com/data/691480739/...EP-45%20DS3.zip

4: Extra folder is in the files you downloaded now..

5: com.apple.Boot.plist in Extra folder on your drive..

6: Strings is ok?

7: Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/

Right click on it, show package

go to contents folder, edit info.plist ...

Go to Disk utility in applications on your drive.. Right click on your boot volume, find information, find UUID (check the picture here)

i think you understand the rest??

i will make a updated Guide later..

post-316218-1251353959_thumb.png

I just bought this board on Saturday. Thank you kjellamond and buji. I got it working following the steps from the buji but with the files from kjellamond.

My CPU still shows up as unknown but that is the same from 10.5. It's the E5200 but I am cool with that.

Also I find that forcing to 32bit kernel is much faster. It still runs all my 64 bit processes in 64 bit just fine, however the RAM footprint is much smaller and the OS is faster, boots faster, etc.

I tried loading MS Office 2008 in 64bit mode and could not apply the patches for the service packs.

post-51963-1251373845_thumb.png

post-51963-1251373850_thumb.png

My CPU still shows up as unknown but that is the same from 10.5. It's the E5200 but I am cool with that.

To change CPU type if not automatically detected do the following : In terminal type: “sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string”

The result i am presented with is : Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz

Edit file : “/System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings

Change the following line : “UnknownCPUKind” = “Unknown” to “UnknownCPUKind”= “Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9450″

You do not have to restart to see the changes in effect, just close About This Mac and reopen and you will see the correct information.

Cosmetics,cosmetics :D

To change CPU type if not automatically detected do the following : In terminal type: “sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string”

The result i am presented with is : Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz

Edit file : “/System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings

Change the following line : “UnknownCPUKind” = “Unknown” to “UnknownCPUKind”= “Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9450″

You do not have to restart to see the changes in effect, just close About This Mac and reopen and you will see the correct information.

Cosmetics,cosmetics :unsure:

You sir. Rock. That is exactly what I was looking for.

UPDATE from earlier though. SleepEnabler did not work for my GA-EP45-UD3L. It just shuts the computer down.

I wonder if there is a bios setting I must toggle. Prior to this motherboard, I had an ASUS P5KPL-CM (rest in peace). I finally got sleep working when I made some changes in the bios. Unfortunately the power zapped the board in a storm last weekend... I am still learning what the UD3L can do.

I will keep reading the forums but if anyone can think of something please let me know.

hey kjellamund,

ihave used your kext and DST and got my System up an running on 64 bit.

Great work thanks for the files.

Only issue i do have that the sound is not working. Is ut working

on your machine ?

If yes any idea on how to fix it

My Hardware:

Gygbyte EP45 DS3

Intel qud 9400 3.3 GHz

4 GB Ram OCZ 900 hz

Geforce 9500GT / 1024MB

all working but sound

greatful for amy help about the sound issue

• 2 weeks later...
Same here on GA-EP45-DS3. Sleep is just power down

Okay, found a fix.

You need to set "Startup automatically after power failure" in Energy Saver pref pane.

Now sleep works, but all usb drives get unplugged before going to sleep and you get Device Removal message after wake up.

Sleep sorta works on my EP45-DS3R. I can manually select "Sleep" from the menu and the computer will go to sleep. Press a key on the USB keyboard will wake it up.

I have not gotten timed sleep to work properly. However, if I tell the computer to put itself to sleep at 11pm, it will. I don't know why it can do that and not count to 15 minutes...

Press a key on the USB keyboard will wake it up.

Wow, i can't do that, only with power button (Apple usb keyboard). How did you set this up?

I have not gotten timed sleep to work properly. However, if I tell the computer to put itself to sleep at 11pm, it will. I don't know why it can do that and not count to 15 minutes...

Have you tried "Startup automatically after power failure" checkbox?

Wow, i can't do that, only with power button (Apple usb keyboard). How did you set this up?

Have you tried "Startup automatically after power failure" checkbox?

I used this setup guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181903

The key kexts for sleep are:

OpenHaltRestart

SleepEnabler

In the Energy Saver Control Panel, I only have three options other than the time settings: put hard drives to sleep, wake on ethernet, allow power button to put computer to sleep. They are all off.

The problem is the Mac OS X doesn't fully recognize the energy saving features of the board. There is an AppleScript someone wrote that checks the idle time and forces sleep if the idle time is greater than the sleep delay. I haven't successfully gotten it working, but I haven't invested a huge amount of time in it either.

I just bought this board on Saturday. Thank you kjellamond and buji. I got it working following the steps from the buji but with the files from kjellamond.

Also I find that forcing to 32bit kernel is much faster. It still runs all my 64 bit processes in 64 bit just fine, however the RAM footprint is much smaller and the OS is faster, boots faster, etc.

I tried loading MS Office 2008 in 64bit mode and could not apply the patches for the service packs.

I have the same board too and have trouble to force boot in 32bit also unable to run office 2008

Did you solved it already?

Ed

I have this mobo did´nt install using this guide though but it can run SL really good for sure. One thing with many guides around here is you get a feeling it´s a compicated process to "glue" SL to your HD but it´s not. In this giude this step is excluded though.

I found out you can use your Leo and install the "old way" using a restored SL dmg to a spare harddrive. There´sa 132 boot disc you can use that works good too for the whole installationprocess for those that have´nt Leo upp running. To reboot to finnish the installation you just use this 132 boot disc and then once upp running you do your tweaking.

You don´t need a bunch of kexts to run SL with this mobo just a few and to get a basic install that you can tweak as you like is actually pretty easy.

I use a dsdt patcher I found here (forgot who made it sorry) and the installation package (dr hurt?) with the new chameleon edit the plists as said in this thread a few kexts I also found here in someones guide and that´s all.

What I do is install my kexts with kext helper to system/library/extensions

(= no clean vanilla but who cares works just as good and since there´s just a few what harm can it do)

delete two SL kexts to keep my cpu temp down. Check out the UUID add it to the plists klick the dsdt patcher to get my DSDT.aml and put the com.apple.boot.plist and the generated DSDT.aml in the installationpackage (with chameleon inside) delete/replace what I don´t want inside there and run it. Then clear caches repair permissions done.

I even have my old PS2 mouse and keyboard working ok and my two 7300 gs 512 mb pcie videocards works better than ever. Network also runs better than ever (works out of box) and the over all feeling is everything is a bit snappier.

The booting is not so pretty but it´s ok also the shutdown. The shutdown takes a minute or so but it does shutdown. Sleep I don´t have no need for it. Sound it´s the same there I have my Saffire Pro 10 i/o works good with Logic.

3: Download the files from here.. http://www.speedyshare.com/data/691480739/...EP-45%20DS3.zip

4: Extra folder is in the files you downloaded now..

5: com.apple.Boot.plist in Extra folder on your drive..

6: Strings is ok?

7: Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/

Right click on it, show package

go to contents folder, edit info.plist ...

Go to Disk utility in applications on your drive.. Right click on your boot volume, find information, find UUID (check the picture here)

i think you understand the rest??

i will make a updated Guide later..

Hi there,

Thanks for this nice guide.!

I've got SL running on this board but when I ad efistring in bootfile my system boots perfect, my graphics fan is lowering but get a black screen.

I have a GeForce 9800GT 512DDR3. Installed Chameleon 2 RC3 and no matter what I put at boot -x or -F and "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" it just starts up with black screen.

I've tried so many things and don't know what to do!

Any help or suggestions would be fine!

Ed

My sig is from a different system only board and Graphic are different!

• 3 weeks later...

I got sleep working on my EP45-DS3R. I claim no real credit for it. I am using the "Please Sleep" application that will put it to sleep after an appropriate idle period. Here is the link.

http://www.dragonone.com/products/macosx/pleasesleep/

Not an ideal out-of-the-box solution, but solves one of the last remaining major problems for me. The other problem was front mic not working. I figured out how to get the back mic working, so I am good to go now.

I'm sure I will identify something else in the future, but I am pretty happy right now.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Thanks "kjellamund" for the whole instruction!

The only thing where i'am not shure what to do is the step, by modifying the PlatformUUID.kext!

Where should i insert the UUID? Could you post me an exmple of the final info.plist?

Thanks a lot!!