Want to add more RAM... have to go to Apple?

5 posts in this topic

Just got a iMac 20" core duo. I regret I only get the 'basic' package w/ only 512MB RAM. Do I need to get it from Apple to be sure it works with the existing 512 in the first slot? Or, can I go generic and get another 512 from Micron with the same spec (single SODIMM, PC2-5300, 667MHz DDR2)?

Sorry, this is my first Mac so please bear with my here :D

Thanks!

No, and Apple tends to overprice RAM. You can go through any RAM vendor and get that stuff, but be aware that OS X is really picky and sometimes will reject RAM that isn't 100% good. That being said, go for Kingston RAM. That one seems to work pretty well.

Apple's upgrade RAM prices are INSANE. For the Intel iMac (I own the 20" as well), they want $300 for a 1-gig stick of DDR! Here is the 1-gig stick that I bought to upgrade the existing 1-gig stick in the mac, for only $83:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16820208037

I have had zero problems since I installed this memory. Only a nice increase in speed :-)

Thanks! I guess I will give the Crucial/Micron one a try :) I always have good luck with those. I've heard MACs are pretty sensity on RAM choices (timing mismatch, etc.) so I just want to make sure before I go ahead.

Yeah, apple.ca charge an arm and two legs for the SODIMMs. It is crazy :blink: