7 posts in this topic

1. Go to System Preferences
  2. Choose 'Sharing'
  3. Select 'File Sharing' and check its box
  4. Click on 'Options' (bottom right)
  5. Check the box 'Share files and folders using SMB'
  6. Click 'Done'
  7. Exit System Preferences

That's it - done. You are now visible to Windows installations, who will need to login with your credentials or else they can login as guests with access to Public Folder only. :(

Now that I've got my laptop set up with OSx86 I need to share some files with it from my Windows computers. Can someone point me to a guide to get it working with my Windows network?

Wow thank you that was a lot easier than I had heard. Now if I could get the two macs to see each other the desktop sees the laptop, but not the other way around. When I try to connect to the laptop it tries for minute then says "Connection Failed".

I tried everything to get this damn computer to communicate with my Windows XP laptop! First, I activated file sharing using FTP, but then I wasn't able to see anything else than the home folder of the OS X user even, if I added others shared folders from my second hard drive. Then, I tried to use SMB as described on this thread but I can't even see the shared folders on Windows. I'm trying to get this to work over a Dlink router so I figured it could be the culprit. Do I have to activate port forwarding for a specific port?

Edit, now I can see it but, the OK box is grayed out in Windows when I try to connect to it.